Speaker/System Selection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am going to bu my surround systme min the next month and I have a few questions. I will be getting a passive l/c/r soundbar, subwoofer, and rears. Is it recommend to keep all the speakers the same brand/model for a better sounding system? If some could recommend a few types that would be great. We will be using it for music/movies equally. My wife does not want a front left right because of the aesthetics and I have to agree but I know the sound will be much less/different without them so I am trying to get a really good soundbar.

One note- my wife really does not want wall mounted rears. Could in ceiling speakers be just as good as the wall mount type? And if I am definitely only having a 5.1 system they should be rear surround and not just rears...if there is a difference. But we def will be listening to music a lot too. I would really like to get these
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Bowers+and+Wilkins+-+6%22+2-Way+In-Ceiling+Speaker+(Each)+-+White/3526156.p?id=1218424271210&skuId=3526156&st=b&w&cp=1&lp=9.

Are these considered surround? Thanks.

Budget
Soundbar-$500-600
Rears- ~ $400
Sub- ~ 300
I already have (2) deck speakers

Reciever- want to be able to control system wireless- $600(hopefully less)

Thanks a lot

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone.? frown.gif

beau
post #3 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

horsegoer:
The questions you are asking are not as simple as you might think. First of all, a budget of $1,900-2,000 for a multichannel receiver and speakers is not a lot of money. While it is certainly possible to get something that sounds pretty good for that money, many of the folks here are spending more money and sometimes, considerably more. So, they are not likely to be familiar with systems costing less... They just don't look at lower cost equipment. Your best bet would be to go to some audio/video stores in your area including BestBuy (for example) and see what they have in your price range. In the end, it will be YOUR ears that will help you make a decision, always. Second, you seem to have decided on some aspects of your system (i.e., a sound bar). This may not be the best use of your limited budget. Have you considered used equipment? There is quite a lot of used a/v gear out there (e.g., audiogon, yakaz, craigslist, ebay, etc.) and you need to see what is there within your budget parameters. While there are risks purchasing used equipment, there are also some very good buys out there from folks who have decided to upgrade their systems. Talk to people (especially sellers), tell them what you have in mind and see if what they have or what they are selling might work for you.

So, the best answer to you (which I know you don't want to hear) is that YOU need to go out and spend some time, do some homework and see what is available locally and listen to it (if at all possible). At the same time, you need to look at what kinds of used equipment is for sale to see if you can't get your limited budget to stretch further. There are no "correct" answers, only answers that you can live with and YOU have to put in the effort to see what is out there. Yes, it is a big task, but it is also enjoyable if you don't get too impatient. Good luck and have fun.
Mike

mnilan
post #4 of 4 Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks

beau
Reply Speakers

User Tag List