Buying Old vs New speaker quandary... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings everyone,

Let me get right to the point and say that i am of the frugal type, i spend hours searching out the best deals on anything, not just audio, sometimes this can lead however to unwise choices.

A little more than a year ago i jumped on buying new but discontinued Mirage OMD-5 bookshelves and the OMD C1 center for a 1/4 of the MSRP's. I also have Mirage Nanosat's for the rear surrounds. The older OMD line are very well made speakers and aesthetically pleasing, the sound takes getting used to. I feel for movies they are great but lack in the music department. Although, at times they really do disappear into the room and can sing quite nice, but are definitely lacking in the bass frequencies. I just feel at times they sound like a "sub satellite" combo, they are currently paired with a Velodyne sub and an older Onkyo 7.1 75w receiver. The room is a small living room, about 12' x 14' with 9' ceilings.

In my constant pursuit to upgrade i've found myself gravitating towards smallish (preferably narrow) Tower speakers. One choice i've come across are older PSB T45 towers that i know at this point are probably at least 6 or 7 years old, but can be had on the cheap, and i know PSB makes quality stuff. On the other hand i come back to the ultra affordable new Pioneer Andrew Jones line (SP-PK52FS) towers at only $125 ea, and wonder how these stack up against speakers that used to cost 5 times as much. I'm a little worried about buying older speakers for concerns of wear and tear, any opinions on this?

Basically i'm trying to upgrade the fronts for better music sessions but they will also handle movie duties in a 5.1 setup as well. Would love suggestions for towers under $500 that are not junk, this is why i'm also considering buying used speakers like the PSB T45 towers.

Thanks

Btw, i've also considered just building my own set of TriTrix TL towers from Parts-Express.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 648
I haven't heard the Mirage OMD-5, but I understand that they do sound great.

You say they are lacking in the bass department. What model Velodyne are you using with them? Perhaps a sub upgrade would give you want you need?

post #3 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

I haven't heard the Mirage OMD-5, but I understand that they do sound great.

You say they are lacking in the bass department. What model Velodyne are you using with them? Perhaps a sub upgrade would give you want you need?

As far as the sub, i have a Velodyne Impact 10, again the room is barely 12 x 14 so the size is certainly enough and i believe Velodyne makes quality subs. Perhaps this model is not the most "musical" sub maybe.

I wondering if a better quality AVR would be a bigger improvement? I have an Onkyo tx-sr505

Here are the specs of the OMD-5 :

Amplifier Power Output 10-175 Watts (unclipped)
System Type OMNIPOLAR™ Bookshelf / Satellite Speaker
Weight (Kg/lb) 8 lb / 3.63 kg
Frequency Response (Hz, +/-3dB) 60 Hz - 20 kHz (+/- 3dB)
Impedance (Ohm) 6 Ohms Nominal / 4 Ohms Minimum
Tweeter 1" Pure Titanium Hybrid Dome
Woofer 5.5" Poly Titanium Deposit Hybrid
Overall Dimensions (HxWxD) 9.18 x 6.45 x 7.22
Product Finish High Gloss Black; High Gloss Rosewood
Crossover Point 2.3 kHz

Here is a review of them as well -
http://audiophilereview.com/affordable-speakers/is-the-mirage-omd-5-speaker-the-best-150-desktop-speaker-ever-made.html
post #4 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post

As far as the sub, i have a Velodyne Impact 10, again the room is barely 12 x 14 so the size is certainly enough and i believe Velodyne makes quality subs. Perhaps this model is not the most "musical" sub maybe.

Could be. It's more of an entry level Velodyne.

So is the system weak in bass where the OMD-5s takeover? Or below that point? If the latter, could be different placement of the Impact 10 could improve the bass response. If the former, have you tried a little bit higher crossover point to let the sub takeover some more of the bass?

post #5 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Could be. It's more of an entry level Velodyne.

So is the system weak in bass where the OMD-5s takeover? Or below that point? If the latter, could be different placement of the Impact 10 could improve the bass response. If the former, have you tried a little bit higher crossover point to let the sub takeover some more of the bass?

I believe the crossover point is way up there, maybe 180hz or so. The Onkyo uses Audyssey eq so it sets all the crossover points using the calibration mic. In fact, i think i remember seeing it set at 200hz which i thought seemed really high, and turned it down a bit, i always thought somewhere around 80-120hz was more normal for the smaller speakers like these.

I feel like they are not very efficient, i find i need to turn up the volume fairly loud to enjoy them. Also i'm think that placement of the speakers could be better but don't have many options. Right now they are sitting on a cabinet that is already 38" high plus the height of the speakers, so when sitting down, the speakers a just above ear level. They are also about 4' apart. Other options would be stands, which i don't want, or possibly wall mounting.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM

I see no problem buying used. As long as a speaker has not been abused by it's owner it should be just fine. I bought a set of Atlantic Tech speakers many years ago and they were 3 years old, purchased from a seller who was in the process of upgrading. I would go to Audiogon and search and see what they have in your price range. Audiogon is an enthusiast site and most people who own speakers are in a constant cycle of upgrading, so they tend to take very good care of their audio equipment. The only things I would check before buying used would be make sure there is no obvious damage to the woofers or tweeters and I would be careful as to how the seller would ship the speakers. But you should be fine as long as you stick to reputable sites and sellers that have good feedback. Best case scenario would be to try and buy local so you can audition the speakers yourself.

As for the PSB speakers, yes they are some very good build quality and also very nice sounding. I would not hesitate in buying a used pair of PSB speakers, so long as they were bought from a reputable seller.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

I see no problem buying used. As long as a speaker has not been abused by it's owner it should be just fine. I bought a set of Atlantic Tech speakers many years ago and they were 3 years old, purchased from a seller who was in the process of upgrading. I would go to Audiogon and search and see what they have in your price range. Audiogon is an enthusiast site and most people who own speakers are in a constant cycle of upgrading, so they tend to take very good care of their audio equipment. The only things I would check before buying used would be make sure there is no obvious damage to the woofers or tweeters and I would be careful as to how the seller would ship the speakers. But you should be fine as long as you stick to reputable sites and sellers that have good feedback. Best case scenario would be to try and buy local so you can audition the speakers yourself.

As for the PSB speakers, yes they are some very good build quality and also very nice sounding. I would not hesitate in buying a used pair of PSB speakers, so long as they were bought from a reputable seller.

Thanks, i do check Audiogon pretty regularly. My current speakers are probably fine for my size room, maybe i just have the upgrade bug. Also, i'm wondering if my current receiver is not doing the OMD's justice.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksas View Post

I believe the crossover point is way up there, maybe 180hz or so. The Onkyo uses Audyssey eq so it sets all the crossover points using the calibration mic. In fact, i think i remember seeing it set at 200hz which i thought seemed really high, and turned it down a bit, i always thought somewhere around 80-120hz was more normal for the smaller speakers like these.

Double check your receiver settings. Your front speakers should be set to "Small" and then try a crossover of 80hz for the left, right, and center. They can handle that. For the Nanosats, 120 or 150hz minimally.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Double check your receiver settings. Your front speakers should be set to "Small" and then try a crossover of 80hz for the left, right, and center. They can handle that. For the Nanosats, 120 or 150hz minimally.

That's what i thought, right around 80hz for the OMD's and higher for the Nanosats. They are definitely set to "small", but i'll check the crossover points for all of them tonight.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page