Question about speaker impedance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, im picking up a pair of vintage klipsch KG4 speakers this weekend.. i found them locally for a great price and ive heard good things about them.. my question is about matching them with an amp.. this is going to be my first hifi setup and i dont know much about impedance at all.. the specs for the speakers say 6 ohms nominal impedance and 100 watts continuous(500 watts peak), but the amp i want to get is the marantz pm5004 which has impedance of 8ohms (35 watts), and 4ohms(45 watts)... my basic knowledge is that i would need an amp that is 3ohms? not sure if im wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated... i was really looking foward to pairing the marantz with these speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
You're fine, go ahead and rock out.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 16
Just about every known receiver and amp is compatible with speakers with 8 ohm or 4 ohm or anything in between. Those 6 ohm speakers will work fine with the Marantz.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkl7 View Post

the specs for the speakers say 6 ohms nominal impedance and 100 watts continuous(500 watts peak), but the amp i want to get is the marantz pm5004 which has impedance of 8ohms (35 watts), and 4ohms(45 watts)... my basic knowledge is that i would need an amp that is 3ohms?

You may be thinking of the scenario in which two speakers are connected "in parallel" to the same amplifier channel, in which case their combined nominal impedance would indeed be 3 ohms. Fortunately, you are just over-thinking things. wink.gif If your integrated amp has two separate channels for stereo left & right, as I believe it does, then all you need to do is connect one speaker to each channel, and you should be perfectly fine (6 ohms for each channel).

By the way, speakers tend to vary in impedance depending on the sounds they're reproducing anyway, so in basic terms everything doesn't have to be SO precise. As for power ratings, the speakers' ratings are how much power they can take (supposedly), while the amp's rating is how much it can supply (again, supposedly, and usually per channel). In practice, the amp will provide only as much power as you need at any given moment, which for most people is not very much on the average, like maybe 1-10 watts most of the time (with a higher power rating still being important for dynamics and certain really loud sounds). The speakers and amp do not have to be matched in this regard, either--those are merely their independent, respective limits.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 View Post

Just about every known receiver and amp is compatible with speakers with 8 ohm or 4 ohm or anything in between. Those 6 ohm speakers will work fine with the Marantz.
Many AVRs are rated for 6 ohms minimum and they'll shut down in a heartbeat with a 4 ohm load, or even a nominal 8 ohm load if the particular speaker has impedance dips that go close to 4 ohms. Since the receiver the OP is considering is 4 ohm rated he should be OK, but you can't always assume so. B&W for one is notorious for having some 8 ohm rated speakers that are difficult loads for 6 ohm rated AVRs.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies =) will be picking up the system tomorrow
post #7 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 AM

Hi, I have a question similar to this one, but my situation is a little different. With my amp, which is a Sony STR-DA5800ES, I can select either 4 Ohms setting or 8 Ohms setting. My speakers are listed at 6 Ohms nominal / 3.5 Ohms minimum and I have them bi-amped. Would I be better off selecting the 4 Ohms setting or the 8 Ohms setting, or does it really matter? Thanks.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by monteplus3 View Post

Hi, I have a question similar to this one, but my situation is a little different. With my amp, which is a Sony STR-DA5800ES, I can select either 4 Ohms setting or 8 Ohms setting. My speakers are listed at 6 Ohms nominal / 3.5 Ohms minimum and I have them bi-amped. Would I be better off selecting the 4 Ohms setting or the 8 Ohms setting, or does it really matter? Thanks.

I would set it to 4 ohms. All this is going to do is limit the amount of current the receiver will supply before it's protection circuitry kicks in. As long as you don't push the receiver to it's limits, it doesn't matter what it's set to.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

Set it at . In short, what a "Low Z" (6Ω or 4Ω) mode generally does is engage a circuit that significantly limits the output voltage of the AVR. This is simply for the purposes of continuous full power heat dissipation testing by the electrical product certifiers. This mode effectively limits the current available to the speaker but increases the risk of clipping the amp.

This Audioholics article explains the whole issue in detail.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:

With my amp, which is a Sony STR-DA5800ES, I can select either 4 Ohms setting or 8 Ohms setting. My speakers are listed at 6 Ohms nominal / 3.5 Ohms minimum and I have them bi-amped. Would I be better off selecting the 4 Ohms setting or the 8 Ohms setting
4 ohms. The speaker impedance should always be equal to or higher than the amp rating, unless it's a tube amp, in which case it's the other way around. BTW, if your 'bi-amping' is passive chances are it's not doing anything useful.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-31-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

4 ohms. The speaker impedance should always be equal to or higher than the amp rating, unless it's a tube amp, in which case it's the other way around. BTW, if your 'bi-amping' is passive chances are it's not doing anything useful.

Thanks, yes, it's a passive bi-amp connection. I don't have any use for the surround back (Zone 2) connections due to my room configuration, so I use them with a passive bi-amp connection since this is a set-up option provided by the AVR. I suppose it may be a wasted effort, but it's either that or don't connect anything to the surround back terminals at all.

The 4Ω setting seems to be the most popular recommendation, so I'll select that option for my speakers.

Thanks again.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page