B & W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone has advice on the B & W CM9 standing speakers.

It may a good choice for me ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Londrie, you have now started ten different threads about what we think of different brands of speakers. Why is this important to you? What you think is far more important. Your the one who will have to pay for them and hear them. This shotgun approach of yours will get you nowhere and as you can see, very little response from Forum members - I think were all wise to you now.

So I will repeat what I said in another one of your threads before I learned to recognize your name. Start educating yourself! If you don't know anything about audio or HT, thats OK - we all have to start somewhere. Your off to a good start already as you are smart to inquire about speakers - the components that you actually can hear and will make the most the impact. Keep pursuing this but get to a store and listen!!! Here are some pointers...

1. Are you in or near a major city? If so, at the very least find a Best Buy with a Magnolia in it. You can audition at least 3 of the brands your referring to. Also, if you have them, find some smaller independent HI FI shops to hear other brands.
2. What do want in a speaker? There is no perfect one. They are all a compromise. Also, don't confuse LOUD with good sound. The loudest is usually not the purest or most true to the source material. Some that are LOUD can also be quite obnoxious.
3. Bring music and a movie that you know very well for your auditions. Don't let the delaer select what is to be played - you bring it with you.
4. Have the dealer drive the speakers using electronics that are most close to what you have at home. If you don't have electronics, and hopefully you don't, just audition the speakers and find the ones that sound best to you. You can then worry about getting the right amp for them later.
5. Speakers use different types and materials for their drivers, especially for high frequency drivers. Some use domes made from soft fabric or harder metal, some use horns, some use ribbons, etc. Each type of driver has a unique sound and one may sound harsh to you while the other just right. You have to find out for yourself. We cannot tell you this.

If you follow the above, you'll be on your way to making a far more intelligent choice to get what is right for you. If you don't want to follow the above and insist on asking us what is best, then I will tell you.

Get what I have, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, as they are the best speakers in the world!!!

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1696
Quote:
Originally Posted by londrie View Post

Go listen to some.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently decided to ungrade and thought my 2 main speakers would be a nice place .. I have a budget of $3000 .... B & W CM9 @ $1500 each fits in well .. I presently run a Rotel 1550 reciever ... svs sub .... rega TT ... and B & W 604s ... front speakers .... Just started to get the upgrade itch and have spend about $6000 for my presant system and thought the extra $3000 would be a nice upgrade ... not sure where the $$$ would be best spent but the 2 CM9's sure stick out !!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I agree go out and audition. Our opinions are really subjective. What I like you may not like. Your own ears will tell you what is right for you. Part of the fun is the hunt.smile.gif
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1179
Quote:

They have a good reputation for good sound quality at a price.

You can go out and listen to them if you want to, but please be aware that the demo room's acoustics have a profound effect on how they sound. The chances that they will sound anything like the show room demo at home is slight.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Agree with the others. Audition and feel free to check out the B&W owners thread.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

They have a good reputation for good sound quality at a price.

I've read that the CM9s have poor measurements which is funny since I hear that B&W, in general, are very accurate speakers.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumbtackJack View Post

I've read that the CM9s have poor measurements which is funny since I hear that B&W, in general, are very accurate speakers.

In terms of on-axis and horizontal off-axis FR, B&W (even the $25,000 800D2 and $14,000 802D2) don't have the best measurements. For example, the $300/pr Infinity P363 have better on-axis and off-axis than any B&W speakers (including 800D2 & 802D2). Of course, the 800 & 802's spectral decay/ cabinet resonant measurements are as good as it gets.

Their on-axis/ off-axis FR don't measure as "poorly" as Wilson Audio, Acoustic Vienna, Magnepan, MartinLogan, Klipsch, etc, either.

For example, the 802D2 is +/-2.9dB, 800D2 is +/-5dB, but Wilson and Vienna are like +/-8dB to +/-10dB.

But measurements are not everything. Many people love the sound of Seaton, JTR, Tekton, etc, and none of these speakers even have any measurements at all.

So like everyone here is saying, just go audition some B&W speakers and see for yourself. Take all opinions with a grain of salt.