Car speakers usable for home audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im interested in upgrading my speakers, But dont have much money, or no car, or credit card, so unable to order online atm, and cant drive far to these high end stores, prolly couldnt afford it anyway.
I was wondering if its a good idea to install car speakers into a speaker cabinet? Will it sound ok, will It hurt the load of my amp, Will it be distorted? Or should I not go this route...

Plan for a cheap setup was to install some punch or some brand car susbwoofers../12 inch. And just to put a good quality 3way mtx or jbl speaker in the cabinet aswell, Mainly only cause im using mixmatch speakers atm/half blown, using scotts/technics and audioresearchlab. The sound doesnt go together well cause one has more bass than other, / where other is more middy/treble, etc, And my dad always told me to balance the load, If u have a type on left, keep same on right, or itl hurt amp and not sound right, + I had to tweak my systems EQ/para eq, add filters etc to make it sound listenable, cause of the crackle in the blown mids, It sounds pretty dam good as it is n all i mean it isnt to bad, But I just like good sound.

So is it a good idea to put car speakers into a house speaker cabinet?

If not, where could I get good speakers. What other methods of payment other than credit cards,

Goal isnt a bassy crap **** sound, I want an audiophile setup, and sound as if it was in the studio.

Currently using an akai am 2800 sterio amp.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicStoned View Post

So is it a good idea to put car speakers into a house speaker cabinet?
If it was there would be no such thing as car speakers and home speakers, there would only be speakers. And you can't toss any driver into any box and get a good result. Drivers and cabinets must be precisely matched.
Quote:
I want an audiophile setup, and sound as if it was in the studio.
That's not a bad goal, but it's totally impossible because of this:
Quote:
dont have much money, or no car, or credit card, so unable to order online atm, and cant drive far to these high end stores, prolly couldnt afford it anyway.
Good sound doesn't have to cost a fortune, but it doesn't come cheap either.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 15
You can look for affordable speakers on craiglist.
ChronicStoned likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Good sound doesn't have to cost a fortune, but it doesn't come cheap either.
Not true, I got an akai am 2800 at a yard sale for five bucks, and using an old set of technics, and audioresearchlab speakers, hooked into my pc, with good tuning on the parametric eq, and also good crossovers in the speaker cabinets connected to 3 ways, I just wanted to upgrade, I dont have to be entirely cheap and all, I can get money for things I need , just trying to get an idea of what i should and shouldnt do lol..
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicStoned View Post

Not true, I got an akai am 2800 at a yard sale for five bucks, and using an old set of technics, and audioresearchlab speakers, hooked into my pc, with good tuning on the parametric eq, and also good crossovers in the speaker cabinets connected to 3 ways, I just wanted to upgrade, I dont have to be entirely cheap and all, I can get money for things I need , just trying to get an idea of what i should and shouldnt do lol..

Sure. If you want to scour enough yard sales for the next couple of years, you might eventually find a pair of speakers worth $500 for $10. rolleyes.gif

You said you want an audiophile quality setup that "sound as if it was in the studio." That's definitely not cheap. As has already been suggested, your best bet is to watch Craigslist very closely as the best deals get snapped up right away.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 42
But you can find a pair of flat studio like speakers that we're worth 500-600 15-20 years ago, that people are mysteriously selling of for less than 100$ a pair in my area. +1 for used Psb century speaks.
I'm sure there are other great values out there as well though, just don't try to do the unorthodox by using car speakers or Pa speakers. I was using Pa's as home theater speakers for the longest time, and although they we're very good Pa speakers they weren't neccessarily very good home theater speakers.

I've also heard wonderful things about the 40$ Dayton b652's, apparentally they're competitive with far more expensive speakers for quality of sound, with compromises made in the areas of bass extension and power handling.

They also make a good budget sub but it seems easier for them to make a budget high end quality speaker rather than a budget high end sub.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post

I've also heard wonderful things about the 40$ Dayton b652's, apparentally they're competitive with far more expensive speakers for quality of sound, with compromises made in the areas of bass extension and power handling.

That's only true if you compare them to Bose home theater systems, otherwise they're just cheap speakers. They should be a huge improvement over the horrible speakers that are built into the thinnest flat-panel TVs, though.

By the way, these are even cheaper:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=8250&seq=1&format=2#description

Regarding new speakers, what I would recommend for the OP is to wait for these to go on sale again:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=250-656
OR
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG

They've been on sale, on and off, for as little as $69/pair, and may go on sale for this price again if you're lucky. They are of far superior quality to the cheap speakers above, and at the sale price, a way better value. Fry's also had them in-store at this price recently, but that sale ended on March 7.

The online sellers above may offer non-credit-card payment options through PayPal, or they may even accept personal checks or money orders. Check with them to find out.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

From what i've read they seem to hold their own quite well up to around the 150$ mark, quite a step up from Bose and the average car speaker.

Though the pioneers are likely better at 3 times the cost, you'll more likely want to spend 200+ to do a fair bit better than either.

I haven't heard great things at all about monoprice speakers, in contrast.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Lol.. Well I know my setup isnt anything close to an audiophile setup. All my point was It doesnt cost much to get "good", not meaning audiophile sound, Thats if u get lucky which I happened to get, And my amp is such a good amp it really has good crossovers in it, therefore decent sound, I didnt say It was cheap to get an audiophile set.. Im sure it would cost about 5k starters to get that..But for acceptable sound, im sure it can be done for about 1000$ And really im happy with my amp, im sure some of u know the akai, its more than enuf for what i need, So all id be needing to get is good subs, mids n tweets, and my subs are excellent as they r so rlly only need to start with tweets n mids, And possibly some 3 way splitter crossovers, I happen to have big cabinets that hold a 12inch subm 6 inch mid, and 4 inch tweeter.. But I was thinking about this too, Would it be a better idea to get a different sub box, and keep the sub seperate from the mids n tweeters, with its own frequency, and then get a smaller mid sub more for voice, Cause atm my pounders are in same cabinet as mids n tweets.

Theres so many speakers out there, so confusing too, some people say get bose, some people say martin logan, some say this n that,
All I know is im sitting here right now, I can hear every symbol, the voice is clear, bass isnt crappy and rumbly like most people like in there car. And All im using is a akai 2800 sterio amp, and a technics eq, hooked into my computer.

Is it possible to have multiple tweeters and mids subs in a box, EX: $ tweeters, one with a crossover at 10khz for example, and other at 3.3khz and so on, so each tweeter gets a specific frequency.

I also wanna balance clarity with durability, As long as its listenable, I dont expect the top rated benchmark system, As long as its decent. But one thing Ive learned, is it isnt just all about the speakers you use. Its also the filtering you use, and how long u tweak things for better sound, If I was to hook my speakers to any other generic system, it would sound crappy.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

As mentioned before, i very much like the Psb century line from 15-20 years ago. If you scour the web you'll find anything from "Psb's are good speakers"
to "I've yet to hear a Psb speaker I didn't like".

They are well within the spectrum of what i would consider audio enthusiast quality sound, with alot of detail in both high notes and low, great staging/seperation, and very flat frequency response (slightly overdone deep vocal range on my system, 2db of eq took care of it).

The best part is (or worst if your an original owner) they are somehow sitting right around the 100$ price point used for the 400 and 500 series (got mine for 80 a pair)

I find the Psb 400's to be slightly nicer than the 500's overall, the 500's have looser (albeit slightly deeper) bass, otherwise they are quite similar.

Dedicated subs are also a good idea, mutilating speakers for their tweets and mids is a very bad idea biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers