So confused about in-wall selection _ HSU, Aperion, Polk, and Noble Fidelity - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am getting tired of reading posts for hours and hours, and not really getting what i need to know.

Probably have read too much information at this point which is making it more difficult to decide what to do.

I DO want to do in-wall / in-ceiling speakers because of space available in the room and the WAF. Already have the wires run, and the house will be finished in 1.5 months. Essentially, I want a 5.1 system for a family room that is mainly for movie watching. The room is 20' x 18' deep, and the ceiling goes from 10' high, vaulted to 15' at the center. The problem that i may probably face is that the surround speakers will be directly above head in the vaulted ceiling; and it looks like it would aim directly at the center of the room even though they are right overhead. This is why i think i may need a directional tweeter.

I do like the idea of supporting a small start-up, and online only worked out great for me when I got an Aperion Intimus 6T system for my theater room.
Have been looking at the following systems.

Polk RC85i's for all speakers - cheapest, and probably the only ones i have heard in person. Not bad, but not impressive - $400
HSU Research HIW-1 in walls - $600 Nice looking, but the tweeter horn is not aimable
Aperion - Intimus 6 LCR in-walls - $600 - dual woofer, and aimable, but not in all directions, just vertically
Noble Fidelity - L-82's or L-85's, this is what I'm leaning to, but the most expensive, and I can only find professionial reviews - $1500

can anyone help me out on if they know the horn tweeters for the HSU would be OK with not being able to direct sound to the listening position.

Any other suggestions? I like B&W that i've heard, but pretty expensive for the step up in sound.

below are pics of the room, and a diagram. I will have to put the center in the ceiling with all the rest. I will have a stone fireplace that the TV will hang from, with no way to mount speaker.

diagram
Visio-Hasemann living room speaker location.pdf 13k .pdf file IMG_2985.JPG 2280k .JPG file

pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2985.JPG (2.23 MB, 10 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Visio-Hasemann living room speaker location.pdf (12.9 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've been looking at in-wall speakers as well for my HT, because of space limitation issues due to the open floor plan.

I would look at Klipsch THX package, KL7800 fronts with KL-7502 and KS-7502 as good options for in-ceiling surrounds. Not inexpensive, but they work really well. Another option would be Definitive Technology UIW RLS II fronts and UIW RCS II and RSS II in-ceiling surrounds. Slightly less expensive, but do sounds very good.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Old 03-10-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Triad Bronze/8 LCR for the front three. Triad In-wall Silver/4 surrounds, used in ceiling. For an in-ceiling system, this would work pretty good for you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 03-10-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

I looked at the Triads too, but seem REALLY expensive.

I would have liked to see some reviews of the online distributors, but everyone swears on their grave that as soon as its installed the will review...... Two years later nothing.

How much you think it would be for that Triad system you mentioned. I like their design for sure though. Seems like it would disperse sound well.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A full Triad silver/4 (3 fronts, 4 surrounds) is about $5000. Triad make some of the best in-wall/in-ceiling speakers, but they do come at a cost... If that is within your budget, just buy them and enjoy, if that's pushing it, then stick with Definite Technology or Klipsch (although the Klipsch list is not that different from the Triad... you can find them at a discount from time to time).

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Old 03-10-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my! Yeah, that's gonna be too much. I already have a $5k system, an wont be able to have two. I do want to try to listen to see what the difference in the Triads may be. Looking to spend no more than $2k with a sub.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding the Klipsch surrounds, do you think that the horn tweeters on that would work fairly well as surrounds? The speakers will be placed directly overhead and mounted at an angle for the vaulted ceiling.

If the horn was aimed directly downwards to the couch, would they overwhelm the rest of the sound and be too directional??

I will be going to a couple shops to listen to them, and am curious to see how they work. I have a cheap set of Klipsch 5.1 setup now, and it does a decent job for a $500 set. Just looking to step it up a notch.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
So what did you end up with, OP?

LOL..... you kind of did exactly what you complain about in this thread, minus the review part. wink.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
if you still haven't made your decision ... Noble Fidelity, hands down. The best sound at the best price among all the in-walls I listened to. That''s why I own them now.

B&W, Totem, Def Tech and Monitor Audio were also top contenders. Had I not gone with NF, I might have bought Monitor Audio.

IMO, you should spend a little more if you plan to live there a long time. The NFs will do you justice.

See my comments on Noble Fidelity on this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1370457/hard-to-find-in-wall-info-time-for-new-avsf-room
TheVillain9 likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I think he's long gone. frown.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Old 07-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Like to know what he ended up with as well smile.gif

Any suggestions on the low end of the price range? WAF is leaving the budget quite strapped for an in ceiling installation on a room 13' x 50' x 12' high, (open to the kitchen, actual viewing area is more like first 20'. I'm wiring for 7.1 speakers knowing it's probably overkill, and looking at the in ceiling speakers I see at Frys etc.

Also looking at some sound dampening behind the speakers to lower the bleed through to the upstairs.