Advice on new construction home theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Yes, it'll be fine horizontally. Just make sure they frame the wall correctly to accommodate it or you'll have to reframe it yourself later. It's not hard to do, but it would save you a lot of extra work.

Television: Mitsubishi WD65737 DLP
Processor: Emotiva UMC-200
Amps: Carver AV 806x/Behringer EP4000
Mains: DCM TimeFrame 600 Center: AT 453C
Surrounds: AT 251.1 Sub: Danley DTS-10
Blu Ray: Panasonic DMP-BD655
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All: I just started a new thread as I try to narrow my thinking on the family room. Below is the text i posted on that thread. I'd much appreciate your thoughts and advice, and answers to some of my ignoramus questions!
================

Hi: after several earlier posts in which I got some excellent advice, I'm coming down to a few choices that I'd like to get some answer on. This is with regard to a new construction that we're working on.

Family room: After a lot of a discussion with architect and on this forum, it appears then best compromise is to go with in wall LCR and in ceiling surround/surround rears. So on that basis:

Option 1 is to do the Definitive TEchnology UIW RLS ii or iii for all L, R and center channel. The issue is with the surround and surround rear - i found the Reference RCS iii and ii speakers that are enclosed, but the Definitive TEch website mentions their use for LCR and not for surround. The ones identified on that website for surround are such as DI 6.5R which do not seem to have engineered enclosures. Is it that the surround/surround rear speakers don't need to have engineered enclosures or should i be doing the RCS options for surround/surround rear?

Option 2 is to do the Triad Bronze/4 LCR for L, R and C, and then the Triad Bronze Sealed Round for the surround/surround rear. The question i have hear is that the Triad Bronze is only 5 1/2" drives v the Def Tech above which is 6 1/2" drivers. Also the Triad range is 80-20 khz, and I am not yet sure what the Def Tech range is. My question is am i correct that the lower number is more critical than teh upper threshold?

I haven't yet checked out the Paradigm, Sonance and Atlantic Tech options. Any thoughts on those?

Thx so much, Chitra
post #33 of 39 Old 05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

You can't go wrong with Triad. They are really nice. The Def Tech are no slouch either but for my $ I would go with the Triads.

post #34 of 39 Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Chitra,

I have a similar room to yours, and sit a similar distance from the display. I tried to come up with a solution that would avoid the in-ceiling route, but to no avail. What it comes down to is that Triad has designed the In-Ceiling Bronze/8 LCR just for this application. I use them for my front three, and the In-Wall Bronze Surrounds as surrounds mounted in my ceiling as well. I feel that the most important thing in these compromised room layouts is keeping the axis of the front 3 aimed at the listening position, and all firing from the same plane relative to the listener. I don't think it's a good idea to have a mix of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers, as the pans will totally give away their position. Additionally, by placing them in-ceiling, you effectively get the speakers closer to the listening position and don't have as much SPL fall-off over distance.

I went ahead and trusted Paul Scarpelli and took the leap of faith with in-ceiling speakers. I have to say that when you're in the sweet spots (anywhere on the couch facing the TV) you don't realize the sound is coming from a different location than the TV. However, if you are just a little too far forward or off to the side, or tilt an ear towards the ceiling, they become localizable as separate from the display.

If budget is an issue, just get the front 3 first and pull wires for the surrounds. Don't use the cheaper rounds, they are not good for that application, better to save your pennies. In general these speakers are only sold through dealers. They are priced the same purchased from dealers or direct from the company, to protect their dealers essentially. But they are selective about who they let sell their speakers since the performance is very install sensitive. So most dealers have a lot of experience with installs, and many happy customers. Last but not least, budget for 1-2 subs, ideally freestanding rather that In-Wall if feasible for your room, and you don't really need to buy Triad subs. But their LCRs absolutely need to be set to small and mixed with subs to perform well for HT.

Good luck!
post #35 of 39 Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Wow this is a really helpful. Now to complicate matters, we will have one sofa facing the TV and then 1 to the side - long sofa. So isnt that an issue then that the person on the side would hear the sound coming from the ceiling? I am concerned that the inwall sound will fade/fall off by the time it gets to the sofa. Do you think that is a possible issue? Would the UIW Series II be better for this than then UIW Series III (if i went the in wall route)?

thx chitra
post #36 of 39 Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Great post Matt. Those Bronze 8's are really nice for in ceiling speakers.

post #37 of 39 Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitra0828 View Post

Wow this is a really helpful. Now to complicate matters, we will have one sofa facing the TV and then 1 to the side - long sofa. So isnt that an issue then that the person on the side would hear the sound coming from the ceiling? I am concerned that the inwall sound will fade/fall off by the time it gets to the sofa. Do you think that is a possible issue? Would the UIW Series II be better for this than then UIW Series III (if i went the in wall route)?

thx chitra

The A/V experience will not be as good for people sitting on the side sofa regardless of the setup. It is true that using 3 inwalls on the front wall would be more favorable to the side viewers, but like you said, that compromises the experience (potentially) for people on the front facing couch. The only way you'll have great sound for everyone in the room is to give them all corded headphones. It's about the compromises you're willing to make. Even in my dedicated theater room, I optimized it for the front row where I like to sit. Realistically there is probably only a 3-5dB difference in SPLs on the main couch between ceiling and wall placement. If I plug in 90dB sensitivity, 75 WPC for the front three, and 14' I get a max SPL of 99dB at the listening postion, that would go to only 102dB if you went in-ceiling placing them 10' from the LP. The decision for you is balancing the aesthetics, performance for expectations, and cost. I can say that I wouldn't change a thing in my set-up... unless my wife let me plop 3 Plats up front and hang a retractable AT screen biggrin.gif
post #38 of 39 Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

hahahahah...yes wishful thinking that. The numbers you shared with me were really insightful thanks. I think we're going to move teh sofa a bit forward (or as much as we can without impeding the fireplace that is one adjacent wall) and go with the inwalls..and for sure all enclosed for in walls and in ceilings. One last question. If my side surrounds are about 2 feet away and my rear surrounds are about 4' behind the sofa then shd i be doing RSS or RCS in ceiling?
post #39 of 39 Old 05-29-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

ok so i think i'm really set. I'd love to just get feedback/thoughts on the ambient in ceiling speakers i'm considering for the other rooms. THis is just to listen to background music. I am thinking of UIW 63/A in ceiling rounds. Is that a good idea or is there a less expensive equally decent in ceiling option i should be considering?

For the home theater I spke with Def Tech and decided that the way to do it was to do LCR RLS 3 and then sides and rears RSS 3 and invest in a good quality sub woofer like their supercube 6000. For our room config i think it will work pretty decently. WOuld be nice to have the LCR a little more wide apart but that's the reality smile.gif

Thx for suggestions on the ambient music speakers!

BEst Chitra
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page