In-walls, on walls, towers? Need a strategy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a lot on this forum and it seems like in-wall has some mixed reviews. I'm remodeling our basement and putting in a small HT in a common use area. I've purchased the receiver (Pioneer VSX-53) and while at the store the helpful sales person was kind enough to show my wife how cool and clean looking in wall and in ceiling speakers are. So, with a budget of 800-1000 for a 5.1 set up I'm trying to balance cost vs. quality sound. We are not audiophiles by any means however I don't want it to sound like crap. Maybe a compromise with in-ceiling rears with on-wall fronts? For the front stage I can probably talk her into some small towers if they look neat, but they have to be somewhat sturdy with pre-teens and a very clumsy golden retriever. I'm running electrical and data now, speaker wire will be next so I have some time but not very much before I start hanging sheetrock. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Looks like I'm leaning towards in-wall, in-ceiling. I spoke with a couple of vendors and it sounds like everything comes down to budget and compromise. So, with around $700- $800 I can get the following 5.1 set up with an EnergyM8 or likewise sub.: Monoprice, Yamaha NS-IW series, Polk RC Series or Infinity CS series. I realize it's personal preference and hearing the speakers is better than reading specs, so I'm just looking for opinions on what others have used and liked or disliked. On paper the Infinity speakers look like they may be the best choice, but again it's hard to tell based on specs. Thanks for any insight or opinions.

If you are still reading, the room is 12x24 with an 8ft recessed ceiling. However the area for the 'theater' is 12 x 12 with an open wall towards the rest of the room on the left of the television and center channel. The wall where the fronts will go is an inside wall with 2x6 construction which I will put insulation into. The ceiling will also have insulation in the joists, I'll most likely create some type of mounting support for the speakers so they aren't being supported by the ceiling tile.

Thanks again.

Sean
post #3 of 3 Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
You can do all in-ceiling, all in-wall, or a mixture of both. Just make sure that the tweeters are pointing towards the listening area. If you were to do in-ceiling upfront, you could do angled speakers, but it sounds like you're set on in-wall. Make sure all three front speakers are the same, if not very similar. You want the tweeters to match upfront so there's no tonal difference. Depending on the placement of the rear speakers, you can always go with angled.

We have a variety of different speakers for home theater, ranging from contractor series to audiophile kevlar speakers. You're welcome to check out our site. Have you thought about what kind of subwoofer to use?

- Brennan, Outdoor Speaker Depot
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page