Need to setup 3.0 speaker setup for music and Home theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Morning All,

I am a newbe and despite my research on good older generation speakers for use, i am still in a dilemma. I am planning on setting up a 3.0 speaker setup for music and home theater for now and then pickup a nice subwoofer especially for watching movies. I have read that energy RC-10's a really good speakers and B&W 601 or 602's might be a good setup as well. I don't want to spend too much money and am hoping that you guys can help guide me to a good setup.

I could either go with:

Energy RC-10
Energy V mini center

or

B&W 601
B&W CC6

or

B&W 602
B&W CC6

which speaker set would be the best setup for listening to music as well as watching movies. Also i wanted to note that i will be picking up Denon AVR 1913 for this setup. I'd like to add that my living room is about 20x15. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone??
post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Those your only options?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

No, I am open to other options as well since i don't know much about. I listened to energy RC-70 and i loved the way it sounded at high volumes. It was really clear and smooth. Laid back and not like the way Polk Rti8 sounded. I also checked out energy CB20 vs Def Tech sm55 and B&W 685. I loved the sound of 685 for the sound. The CB20 sounded good but didn't sound as detailed as 685. I am not too aware of Def Tech product.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Arx makes great quality good sounding speakers. Theres no dealers though as they are internet direct only. http://www.theaudioinsider.com/manufacturers.php?mPath=13

Set of A5 B-Stock towers is a great deal right. Full warranty and I think they might have just been a demo pair.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

The prices of the Arx speakers are pretty decent. How different is the sound compared to the speakers that i've listed? Thanks
post #7 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Well i'm not sure about how they compare to all of the ones you listed. But the Arx A1b has the same bass extension as the B&W 602 with its 7" woofer vs the Arxs 5.3" woofer. The Arx are a more laid back sounding speaker, I would say just a natural balanced sound. Not shrill in the treble and not boomy in the bass.

One of the most comments is about how great the soundstage is, they project a large "wall" of sound and you can't really pin point where the speaker is with your eyes closed. As a stereo pair they image right in the middle with music as if the voices are coming from the center.

Nice well written review http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/65546-arx-a1b-a2b-speaker-review.html
post #8 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 PM

Gt, what do you think about putting the arx a1b as rear surround, I just purchased salk songtowers, and songcenter, not ribboned for the front. I like the price, would the 'ribbon' tweeter on these a1b's be a distraction or problem.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thats a really good review of the speaker. For the price its one attractive piece. I was also checking out their site and just fell in love with the look of the Swan D2.1se speakers which are a bit out of my budget right now.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hey GTP, thanks for the info that you've taken time to provide. I really appreciate it. I didn't even know that these speakers existed and after reading a bunch of reviews it seems like a great choice. The Arx A5 B stock looks pretty sick but i want stay within my budget of 400 max for my speakers. Do you know what these speakers (Arx) sound match to from the speakers listed in my list so i can have a bit of idea of the sound quality which i can then visualize it? I know you described the sound pretty thoroughly which i do but it'll help me if i can somewhat compare to a set that i've heard.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macarena View Post

Gt, what do you think about putting the arx a1b as rear surround, I just purchased salk songtowers, and songcenter, not ribboned for the front. I like the price, would the 'ribbon' tweeter on these a1b's be a distraction or problem.

I don't see a problem without, like Buford said in the Arx owners forum, surrounds are not nearly as important as the front 3. Audyssey or what ever REQ you have will level match the outputs so no problem there. Don't plan on using cheap wall mounts or anything, they are large heavy bookshelfs. Ideally you want them to site on a shelf with a few inchs of clearance if you want the ports open or some heavy duty speaker mounts that can hold quite a bit of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizaa View Post

Hey GTP, thanks for the info that you've taken time to provide. I really appreciate it. I didn't even know that these speakers existed and after reading a bunch of reviews it seems like a great choice. The Arx A5 B stock looks pretty sick but i want stay within my budget of 400 max for my speakers. Do you know what these speakers (Arx) sound match to from the speakers listed in my list so i can have a bit of idea of the sound quality which i can then visualize it? I know you described the sound pretty thoroughly which i do but it'll help me if i can somewhat compare to a set that i've heard.

Well I haven't heard those models you listed, except for the Energy RC70, but its been so long ago I don't really remember. I did a comparison a year or so ago with the Arx A1s, HSU Research bookshelfs, Aperions, Paradigm Mini Monitors (previous series not current model) and my speakers I owned at the time Axiom M22s and M2s. The Axioms and Paradigms had alot of "sizzle" in the treble, the Aperions didn't really sound all that interesting but build quality and fit and finish was better than the Axioms IMO, HSUs sounded nice and natural and had great kick in the midbass but I felt the Arx had the best of everything. Great bass, highs, very articulate with strings like Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac plus they was the cheaper of the group. I came really close to keeping the HSUs but they had a smaller soundstage (needed to be in the sweet spot) and I had plans on going with towers which HSU doesn't have.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for a detailed description of the sound comparison of the speakers. I have heard axiom's so now i have an idea of what the Arx's sound like. i definitely will give Arx's a thought. Again i really appreciate your feedback.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page