Where to demo speakers in NY? LI or the city - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to buy some mid-high end in-ceiling speakers for a home in long island. Looking for a home audio / video store that has ample stock where I will be able to demo several speakers. It seems most of these places dont have crap for you to demo. How are you supposed to make a decision on brand without demoing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Damn, no ideas at all? No one in the NYC metro here?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogant View Post

Looking to buy some mid-high end in-ceiling speakers for a home in long island. Looking for a home audio / video store that has ample stock where I will be able to demo several speakers. It seems most of these places dont have crap for you to demo. How are you supposed to make a decision on brand without demoing them?

In another thread I am putting for the idea that since the sound quality of a speaker is so dependent on the room acoustics, that demos of speakers in any room but the one it is going to be used in is a waste of time.

This is more than just an abstract idea for me. I buy speakers from time to time for other people maybe several pair a year, but never listen to them in a store first. I've followed this practice for at least a decade or more.

It all dates back to the last speakers that I seriously demoed. They had a great word of mouth, but sounded like pi$$ in the demo. I bought them anyway and they satisfied me for years and years.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

So, you buy speakers based on reviews then?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
arrogant I agree a lot of stuff I want to hear the stores don't have that model to demo or I want to hear several brands and they only have one. I don't know about home theater, but here are hi fi stores I have been to into NYC. Stereo Exchange, Lyric hi fi, cosmophonic sound, a best buy magnolia store is near times square.; J & V Audio. I haven't been here, but here are more shops Sound by Singer; brighthometheater.com
innovative audio. I am sure that a lot more stores exist in new york city. call ahead and ask if they have what you are looking for to demo.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 AM

Audio breakthroughs in Manhasset Long Island.