Totem Dreamcatchers--where to buy? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
PlexMulti, excellent information. On behalf of anyone who reads this I thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 11
I can comment from a few perspectives.
I run a 2 channel setup with Totem Sttafs in my living room, and in my family room I run Dreamcatchers for fronts and the centre, with a Totem Storm sub and Monitor Audio in walls for the rears.
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-31 amp in the HT setup and I know the dreamcatcher mains are 4ohm and hungry. The VSX-30 is far from a powerhouse but it does just fine. Unless you're obsessed with massive spl then you're good. Frankly the speakers run out of ability before you can create those spls anyways so I don't even think it's an issue. Good high current amps usually drive with less distortion, but you're limited by the little 4" driver in those things or whatever it is, no matter the quality of juice going into them.

It took me weeks of tinkering with the SSP settings to determine what's what to FINALLY get to a proper state. There's all this talk about what to set the amp crossover at etc. After all the BS I've found that unless you're working with those little mini sat speakers, you just set ALL your speakers to large in the settings menu, set the sub to plus, and the amp xover to the lowest Hz (in my case 50Hz). Let the expensive crossovers that are in the speakers already do their thing. The result once I finally figured this out was a MASSIVE difference.
So ultimately yes dreamcatchers can work just fine in a HT setup. If you can get away with some floorstanders for your mains however I'd strongly recommend it. Little bookshelves simply can't create the engaging dynamic presentation for HT that floorstanders could. Sub or not, it's just a matter of midrange presence as well.

Back to my mention of Sttafs though... so I've taken my Dreamcatchers and hooked them up to my 2 channel rig (Rega CD and integrated amp) so I could do a comparison back to back to see how the Dreamcatchers stack up to my favourite son. Not even close. The Sttafs vastness of soundstage and ease in musicality is crushing over the Dreamcatchers. The DC's have a boxiness to them as well that's puzzling. I know these are the only speaker in Totem's line that doesn't have that crazy space shuttle dampening paste inside them, so maybe that has something to do with it; not sure. I'm still enjoying my Dreamcatchers in my HT setup; the room calibration I did with the amp auto calibration option actually made a very good (and surprising) improvement, and EQ'd out a lot of the boxiness on music, but now I'm thinking it's only a matter of time before I shell out for another set of Sttafs to front up my HT setup and just shut down any second guessing.

There's no doubt more rugged HT oriented speakers for the job than Totems, but HT isn't all car crashes and explosions. If you listen to music on your multichannel setup (SACD / DVD-A), or just even 2ch music, and take into account that movies are also very musically based, then Totems start becoming not such an unreasonable choice for HT.
Last but not least, there's no speaker EVEN CLOSE to Totems for the pricepoint that are made as nicely. So if you don't want to have to look at black ash vinyl when it's daylight out, then that's worth some consideration also.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 AM

Liked: 56
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 11
Yeah that's a tough one. Measurements don't really lie, but also many times speakers that have questionable bench performance sound good the the listener (which is really what matters). Totems aren't all dead cabinets (when you give them the knuckle test). They're often kind of lively. Based on what I've read, Vince (Totem majordomo) says that his speakers are designed around having a living cabinet instead of a totally intert cabinet.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I went to test drive the Dreamcatchers vs B&W 686 (?) and PSB B5's. They were just too "neutral" or "laid back" for my liking. My ears said to go with the PSB's....so that is what I chose. Thanks everyone for your input.

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub