Totem Dreamcatchers--where to buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 03-13-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I read through the Totem owners thread...and I searched the internet for answers. I need help trying to find where to buy these speakers. I saw in the reviews they should cost $575 roughly...however the closest place to me is stating they are $700 a pair! Anyone have a source online?

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-13-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
You won't find an online source for buying Totem, unless you are buying used. There is also going to be very little flexibility in sale price, unless you can negotiate with a local dealer.

Totem Acoustic Find a Dealer

post #3 of 36 Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah....already checked out that page and found a few dealers, including the one I talked to for over an hour on the phone! Really nice guy. The first one that came up was a dealer that I already went to regarding PSB's....did NOT like that dealer at all.

~Shaun
Yamaha RX-V765 / PSB B5's Fronts / PSB C4 Center / Micca R-65 In-Ceiling Rears / BIC F12 Sub
post #4 of 36 Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by border411 View Post

Yeah....already checked out that page and found a few dealers, including the one I talked to for over an hour on the phone! Really nice guy. The first one that came up was a dealer that I already went to regarding PSB's....did NOT like that dealer at all.

Why can't you buy them from the nice guy who's already put in over an hour worth of work with you? Also, the Stereophile review says $575 to $650 depending. Finish, btu that is from 2 years ago. Maybe totem has raised the MSRP on them since then? Regardless, 15 to 20% off is not an outrageous discount for you to ask for if the dealer is just handing you the speakers. This would put the speakers right around the price range you're looking for.
wingnut4772 and SimpleTheater like this.
post #5 of 36 Old 03-13-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you don't mind buying used, audiogon has Totem speakers every once in awhile. A pair of Rainmakers just sold for about $600.

I agree with Plex, talk with the nice dealer, see if he can give you a discount. If not, and used is not an option, buy from him anyway. They're very nice speakers.

post #6 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

I will talk to him and see what he can do. I still need to go listen to them to see if it something I like. The Klipsch dealer I went to gave me a REALLY nice discount, and they are still in the running as they sound great for HT use (rarely listen to music if at all). I saw that those were on Audiogon, but i wanted to listten to them before I made my decision. The dreamcatchers are what I am interested in, but anyone know how much the other small-ish (under 14" tall due to size restrictions) normally go for? Such as the Mite, Rainmaker? I also want a matching center, so prices on those would be great too....if anyone knows.

~Shaun
post #7 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I will talk to him and see what he can do. I still need to go listen to them to see if it something I like. The Klipsch dealer I went to gave me a REALLY nice discount, and they are still in the running as they sound great for HT use (rarely listen to music if at all). I saw that those were on Audiogon, but i wanted to listten to them before I made my decision. The dreamcatchers are what I am interested in, but anyone know how much the other small-ish (under 14" tall due to size restrictions) normally go for? Such as the Mite, Rainmaker? I also want a matching center, so prices on those would be great too....if anyone knows.
I had Rainmakers in my home theater a few years ago. I can say unequivocally that Totems are NOT home theater speakers. They are great stereo speakers for a dedicated listening room, but in my 15 x 23' HT, the Rainmakers were challenged dynamically. For HT, I've really like PSB and Paradigm speakers. The Paradigm Monitor series are very easy to drive. And while they may not be as musical as the Dreamcatchers (which I also had a pair a while back), they provide a lot more punch. Plus at $300/pair, you can use the money saved for a better sub, better center or just save it.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #8 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, somewhat. I would presume anyone ready to purchase Totem would have heard them, anyone interested in their bookshelf speakers would be putting them in a 2 channel system. That said, I've heard both Hawk and Forest in HT setups and they were just fine, the best of both worlds. I almost went with them 2 years ago.

post #9 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

I would presume anyone ready to purchase Totem would have heard them
Seems like he's having a hard time finding a place to listen, but also he isn't happy about the price. Sadly, I suspect, he will listen to them at the $700/pr store, then buy them used on Audiogon. I smell a "Why Can't I Listen to These Speakers Anywhere" thread starting soon as another dealer goes out of business. But I have to agree with the TS, I hate it when manufacturers do not list MSRP!
Nethawk likes this.

post #10 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

Why can't you buy them from the nice guy who's already put in over an hour worth of work with you? Also, the Stereophile review says $575 to $650 depending. Finish, btu that is from 2 years ago. Maybe totem has raised the MSRP on them since then? Regardless, 15 to 20% off is not an outrageous discount for you to ask for if the dealer is just handing you the speakers. This would put the speakers right around the price range you're looking for.

According to the regional dealer rep in my area, Totem raised prices on their speakers about a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

I had Rainmakers in my home theater a few years ago. I can say unequivocally that Totems are NOT home theater speakers. They are great stereo speakers for a dedicated listening room, but in my 15 x 23' HT, the Rainmakers were challenged dynamically. For HT, I've really like PSB and Paradigm speakers. The Paradigm Monitor series are very easy to drive. And while they may not be as musical as the Dreamcatchers (which I also had a pair a while back), they provide a lot more punch. Plus at $300/pair, you can use the money saved for a better sub, better center or just save it.

Are you saying all Totem speakers are not home theater speakers? My Tribe V's would vehemently disagree with you. I can't speak to the Rainmakers viability as home theater speakers however the Tribes (I have III's and V's) and the new element series do music and home theater very well.
post #11 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

Are you saying all Totem speakers are not home theater speakers? My Tribe V's would vehemently disagree with you. I can't speak to the Rainmakers viability as home theater speakers however the Tribes (I have III's and V's) and the new element series do music and home theater very well.
No, I am not. However, I have heard the Dreamcatchers and Rainmakers and they were not good for HT. I'm certain your Tribes are wonderful for HT, but if the TS is freaking out about $550/pair vs $700/pair, the Tribes are well out of his price range.

post #12 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Simple theater...what is wrong with listening to the speakers at a dealar then buying used? I hardly consider what I am doing or saying is "freaking out." I have a budget...I am police officer and don't make a ton of money. So yes....the difference between 550 and 700 could determine what speaker package I get. I went to one speaker shop and they jacked up the price of speakers above the MSRP. Just trying to do my homework before I go to the store. Why are you suggesting this is a bad thing?

~Shaun
post #13 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Nothing at all border (but I'm interested in SimpleTheater's justification too wink.gif ).

IMO, if you're building out something for movies you can do better for far cheaper than Totem. I'm a big fan of Totem but agree, the bookshelves are not as dynamic as several other manufacturers. If you don't mind, lets step back a bit?

What receiver do you have now?
What is your budget?
Are you only interested in L-C-R for now?
Would you like a subwoofer now or in the near future?
How big is your space, how far away do you sit from screen?

What other speaker manufacturers have you listened to and liked? Up to a point each has its "house sound", you may be able to narrow choices.

Of course, if you're set on Totem it's not like you will shrivel up and die the moment they're paired with a movie biggrin.gif

Cheers.

post #14 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simple theater...what is wrong with listening to the speakers at a dealar then buying used?
Because you're using his time, his knowledge and his resources.

Here is one of MANY links on the AVS forums about using dealers like this. Look for the word "immoral".
wingnut4772 likes this.

post #15 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Receiver is a yamaha 765. I like klipsch reference as these are great for HT use. Going to check out psb at the same dealer along with golden ear. Martin Logan motion series sound very nice. Have a sub already. Looking to spend good money on LCR and maybe do in ceilings in the rear. This is my den, so size and aesthetics (WAF) are coming into play.

~Shaun
post #16 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Simpletheater, so you are saying I shouldn't talk to any dealers, buy used and waste money on products I don't like, then have money tied up while trying to sell said gear before I try another product I am taking a gamble on?

~Shaun
post #17 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Simpletheater, so you are saying I shouldn't talk to any dealers, buy used and waste money on products I don't like, then have money tied up while trying to sell said gear before I try another product I am taking a gamble on?
Absolutely not. I'm saying if you are going to get the Dreamcatchers, it would be immoral to go to a store, listen to them, and pick them up somewhere else to save money from some guy who's probably working out of the basement of his house. If you decide you DO NOT like the Totems and get something else, there is no problem with purchasing from someone else.

Think about it logically - you want a place to listen, that way you don't spend money on something you don't like. Then you buy it from someone who doesn't let you listen. Eventually there is no place left to listen.

You said you're a police office, so you may not be aware of what it costs to run a business. Before paying himself, this Totem dealer has somewhere between $5,000-$25,000 in MONTHLY expenses. That's before he gets a dime for him and his family.

post #18 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

I also own a remodeling business, I am the sole worker, so I do know what it costs to run a business. But what you are saying is that if i talk to this guy, even if he as inflated prices, I should buy from him. So I am assuming then that if you walked into a store, you never did any shopping around, or research, and just paid whatever they wanted. Where were you when I sold cars?!

~Shaun
post #19 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What a load of crap SimpleTheater, there is nothing wrong with what he is doing at all. Do you always go to Best Buy or other B&M stores over buying at Amazon? Do you buy everything you see without research, on impulse, on the spot? Same thing. If the guy is on a budget, wants a decent sound system there is nothing immoral at all about saving money. Let me guess, you're a 1%er.

Border, you're doing the right thing - go out and listen to some speakers, then come back. I recommend starting a new thread looking for advice. There are also tons of threads that you can browse through based on your budget to narrow down choices, but it all boils down to what you like and how much you can spend.

Cheers.

post #20 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Back on topic....thank you all for the information, and nethawk....I bet $1 he is a dealer! J/k simpletheater!
Nethawk likes this.

~Shaun
post #21 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You two are in a different moral world then I am, unless you lack reading comprehension. I clearly and unequivocally wrote that "if you are going to get the Dreamcatchers, it would be immoral to go to a store, listen to them, and pick them up somewhere else to save money "

Things I didn't say:
  • buy without research, on impulse, on the spot?
  • if i talk to this guy, even if he as inflated prices, I should buy from him
  • walked into a store, you never did any shopping around, or research, and just paid whatever they wanted

post #22 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Save it for Sunday school SimpleTheater. We are in no different world than you are (unless you lack basic grammar comprehension), we both live in the real world. The guy chose to be a Totem dealer, knowing full well that Totem offers no discounts, no way of remaining competitive either with other manufacturers or the used market. It's called commerce. Think of the poor guy selling his used speakers. Maybe he's lost his job, can't feed his children. Would it be moral to listen at a Totem dealership, consider buying used then go back to the dealer to buy new? Oh noooooooo!

Jeez, morality police. I'd rather get a speeding ticket from border. biggrin.gif

post #23 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Save it for Sunday school SimpleTheater. We are in no different world than you are (unless you lack basic grammar comprehension), we both live in the real world. The guy chose to be a Totem dealer, knowing full well that Totem offers no discounts, no way of remaining competitive either with other manufacturers or the used market. It's called commerce. Think of the poor guy selling his used speakers. Maybe he's lost his job, can't feed his children. Would it be moral to listen at a Totem dealership, consider buying used then go back to the dealer to buy new? Oh noooooooo!

Jeez, morality police. I'd rather get a speeding ticket from border. biggrin.gif
Like I said, I'm waiting for the inevitable "Why can't I find anywhere to LISTEN before I buy thread".

post #24 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Nethawk....since you are with me you get a freebie! Thanks for your help....I am just curious to hear them. This IS going to be strictly for HT use (TV included), that is why I like the Klipsch (awesome efficiency and clear sound at low volume----I do have a 17 month old) and why I am hoping the PSB B5's and C4 combo, which is why I contacted him in the first place, work out. I really think it is down to Klipsch and PSB Image series.
Nethawk likes this.

~Shaun
post #25 of 36 Old 03-14-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I need a freebie or two. Having a little red two-seater doesn't help the cause much.

Great, it looks like you're getting close! Go flash a badge in the Klipsch & PSB forums smile.gif

post #26 of 36 Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Already did on the Klipsch forums!

~Shaun
post #27 of 36 Old 03-15-2013, 06:02 AM

I own an A/V integration firm and will say that I would NOT consider it immoral to talk to a dealer and then buy somewhere else. It would be immoral to steal the speaker, but what you are talking about is shopping. It also sounds like he isn't willing to give any sort of discount, either, and that is his business decision - just like it's yours to buy or not. That being said, people all the time think that they can look at equipment wayyyy over budget and pray for some deal-of-a-lifetime in order to be able to afford what they want. Or, they go spend time in a guys show room, take up their time and space, and have only enough money for used equipment that they found somewhere and just want to validate a purchase elsewhere. That is a really really low-rent thing tomdo. But this doesn't sound like you, either.

To a degree, though, this is why we switched to by appointment only and don't seek out transaction based sales anymore - that is what the internet is for. If we do allow someone to come into our design center they are charged a consultation fee by the hour that they get back towards a purchase should they decide to do so. But this is typically done for people who bring me prints and want a drawing or a design and a longer walkthrough. This way no one wastes anything: I don't waste time that I don't have (we're paid either way for our expertise) & the client doesn't waste any money (they get expertise, a layout, and their money back towards a purchase).

Best of luck in your speaker search!
Nethawk likes this.
post #28 of 36 Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

You sir are the kind of guy that I wish we had more of, around me at least! I do not know if this guy will discount or not, haven't even gotten that far with him. He was very knowledgable and helpful, and that is why I am driving 50 miles each way to go see him. BTW, my budget is $1500, so if I like the speakers I will be buying them from him.

~Shaun
post #29 of 36 Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:

You sir are the kind of guy that I wish we had more of, around me at least! I do not know if this guy will discount or not, haven't even gotten that far with him. He was very knowledgable and helpful, and that is why I am driving 50 miles each way to go see him. BTW, my budget is $1500, so if I like the speakers I will be buying them from him.

1st, driving 50 miles each way is certainly in the relm of giving the dealer an opportunity.

Let me give you a little bit of a tip to use moving forward when comparing deals between brands or judging if the dealer is trying to work with you or not....

- Klipsch speakers can afford to be discounted more than a Totem. There is more margin in Klipsch for the dealer to work with.
- Totem, PSB, & Paradigm - all Canadian brands, BTW- have (within reason) the same margin % for the dealer, so expect similar % discounts between them from most dealers. Some guys buy more or less of their different brands so they get little bonuses but, in general, consider them to be similar from a dealer's business perspective.

Lets pretend that BEFORE a dealer pays any shipping he will have 50% to work with in profit from your $1500. So, that leaves you with (roughly) $750 to work with from the dealer's side. If all he is doing is helping you make a selection, ordering speakers and handing you a box when they come in... Try to point that out as KINDLY as possible when asking for his best price. Offer to come pick them up and to pay for them in full in advance (BE SURE TO GET A FIRM DATE ON WHEN YOU CAN COME GET THEM OR YOU CAN CANCEL). Cash if you can.

This does a few things for you.

1: You have eliminated the dealers risk (paid up front)
2: You have minimized his time spent (you drove to him and all he has to do is call to order)
3: You have simplified what he is really doing for you (a phone call and handing you a box)
4: Paying in cash saves about 3% in credit card fees so the savings should get passed on to you and considered before he gives you a price.

If you are a friendly, nice, cool guy and aren't a real DELTA BRAVO, the dealer should hook you up. I always look at these sales like pennies from heaven and cut guys a break depending on the dollar amount.

Hope this makes sense and helps you out!
post #30 of 36 Old 03-15-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

~Shaun
Reply Speakers