How long do outdoor speakers last? (Can you recommend some?) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok, so my house came pre-wired ready for two outdoor speakers on my "roof deck". I have a dual zone Denon AVR plugged into my WiFi next two a speaker wire plate on the wall. So to set up my outdoor speakers all I would need to do is buy the speaker, plug in some speaker wire, and hope that the in wall wiring is in proper working order. So far I have been in my house for 1.5 years and when I go outside I just look at the speaker wire coming out of my wall.

So I have two questions. First, how long do outdoor speakers last? These would not really be "hiding under a balcony" or anything like that. They would potentially be very exposed during a big storm. Would most outdoor speakers fail after exposure to a small storm? A big storm? Or a hurricane? Or a cold winter?

Second question, what are a good pair of wall mountable durable outdoor speakers for $500 or possibly substantially less? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello ProfD,

Typically outdoor patio speakers can last very long if taken care of. Since you don't have any coverage protection, it would be best to wrap them in plastic before any harsh weather conditions arise. You can find outdoor patio speakers for well under $500, but they will not be completely "water-proof". It takes a lot of work to make a speaker completely weather/water proof, and in turn, this raises the value/cost of the speaker.

Outdoor Speaker Depot has good quality weather resistant patio speakers ranging anywhere from $50 - $300. The nicer models have a port-hole design to give them an even fuller sound, but this creates more risk of water damage if not protected. Sometimes it's as simple as mounting the speakers horizontally and angling them downward so the water is less likely to seep into the grill holes.

Let me know if you have any questions at all.

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #3 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I use 2 types of speakers in my backyard. In the garden, I'm using rock speakers and in another application I use Polk Atrium 5's . The latter are located in my HT which is covered and used all year round... yes..even in winter and the others are used in my garden they literally get soaked when watering...I doubt any harm will come of them but I wrap them in winter..fwiw.

I wouldn't suspect any harm will come to any outdoor speakers unless of course they get submerged or flooded in water for a prolonged periods....if finding them some cover gives you piece of mind nothing wrong with that....after all they're outdoor speakers...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #4 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'm using some cheapo Yamaha outdoor speakers on my back patio (attached to the pergola I built several years ago), and they seem no worse for wear after three years of being exposed to the elements. We don't have harsh winters down here, but we get some nasty thunderstorms with hail. I knew I wouldn't be able to crank these speakers at high volumes (typical 'burb with the houses close together), so I couldn't justify spending more for speakers. They really don't sound bad, and they were less than $100 so no big deal if I have to replace them at some point.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks you all !!!

I bought a pair of Polk Atrium 4's for $100 at BB with an Amazon price match.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page