H/T speakers $3K to $10k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I am on the hunt again for speakers for a 70/30 H/T >Music split. I am looking for the beauty of a Salk but a speaker that plays hard for H/T . So far I have been drawn to the Salk sound scape 8's and the Veracity series. Looking for more options /opinions. Budget is up to $10k but would love to find a bargain. Thanks
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gtpsuper24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
JTR Triple 8s come in a nice Rosewood finish I believe, probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to crazy HT experience. Seaton might be another options, does some awesome looking finishes on his Submersive.
gtpsuper24 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Member
 
CleatusCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Focal 1028BE
Ryan T. likes this.

Xbox Live- RumRiverKiller
HT Room- Samsung 550 64" Plasma, Tivo XL, Marantz SR-14 EX , BP3000TLs, CLR3000, BP2002 sides, Logitech 700
Music Room- Samsung 650 46" LCD, Tivo, Pioneer VSX-1120K , Canton GLE 409s, small cheap sub, Logitech 650
Garage- Kenwood VR606, Original Large Avents
CleatusCat is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Why not look at the new Noesis 212ht from JTR and S8 surrounds.

Jeff offers some really nice finishes, the dark walnut looks awesome!
http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/JTR-Custom-Speakers-5012941

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #5 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With your budget and fondness of a bargain give definitive tech a look...there 8080-st bipolar towers might fit your taste and be well under budget...smile.gif...incredible for movies and very pleasant for music...hope you find the right speaker for YOU...smile.gif...happy auditioning...smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Senior Member
 
darkpoet25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Wow that is a big budget range. There are many choices, a few I will throw out would be Ascend Sierra's with the RAAL upgrade, Monitor Audio Gold's, Dynaudio, Dali, Focal, Paradigm Studio's, Swan, Sonus Faber, Revel. The best thing would be to find something that interest's you, read the owners thread's and ask any questions you need answers to(I don't believe there is such a thing as a stupid question when it comes to this hobby). Most importantly is to spend as much time as possible auditioning as many speakers as you can and to take your time. Listen to as many you like to get a feel for the overall sound quality you will enjoy. Good luck with your search.

Cliff
darkpoet25 is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 1,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is your budget for front L&R, L&R and center, or LCR and surrounds? What about a sub or subs? Kef is very good at both music and home theater but without room size and more details it is hard to recommend. Small to medium room LS50s X 5 and two good subs. Bigger room, R series but still more info needed. Another question, do you listen to multichannel music, if so, surround choice is more important. If not, you can spend less on them. Besides Kef, you mentioned Salk which is highly regarded. And Revel has some new Performa3 series that may be quite good also. As much as possible, it is always worth auditioning for sure. Just need more info is needed to help point some of the journey, you are the one who decides where it ends.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
jima4a is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am on the hunt again for speakers for a 70/30 H/T >Music split. I am looking for the beauty of a Salk but a speaker that plays hard for H/T . So far I have been drawn to the Salk sound scape 8's and the Veracity series. Looking for more options /opinions. Budget is up to $10k but would love to find a bargain. Thanks

Your quality at $10,000 will be much greater than at $3,000. Heck, even $5,000 will typically outperform $3,000 in substantial ways as long as your room isn't the size of a walk-in closet. That being said, without actually knowing more detailed information people are just going to list things in that price range - which would include thousands of systems.

- Is the room already prewired, or can you design and wire for whatever you want?
- What kind of room is it? A family room? A dedicated room? A wide open basement?
- How many rows of seating & how are they laid out?
- What type of display? Projection, Flat Panel? Size?
- How is the furniture in the room laid out?
- Do you have to have towers for the front (which I consider almost always a waste if someone is going for primarily a multi-channel theater), or can you maybe do some other options: Like behind a screen, or in cabinetry?
- How many seating positions?
- How are the rear speakers going to be oriented? In-wall? In-ceiling? On-wall? On-floor?
- 7 channel or 5?
- Can you build or do you have cabinetry to house the speakers?
- Do you want something you can see or that is hidden?
- What volume level will you be listening at?
- What existing equipment are you going to use - if any? Amplifier or a receiver, etc? THIS could be a large determining factor in speaker recommendations.
- Any budget for room treatments or are they even an option? This can determine speaker budget as well.

With the kind of budget you have given you can really have something special, correctly done, and with any type of look you prefer. Or, you can over/under buy and waste a lot of money. Without qualifying details to work with you're just going to get people listing stuff out of thin air.

Just in case you don't want to answer the questions - and because I'm bored waiting on my wife to get ready for the day, I'll assume you have a decent medium/large sized space with a single row of seating and take a stab at listing some systems that I think are awesome and in your price range. I won't bother listing $3,000 rigs out because there's no fair comparison between the low, mid, and upper ends of your budget.

Can be had for $10,000 and under (assume all systems would have 2 subwoofers):

(IN CABINET)
- Klipsch THX Ultra2
- ADAM-Audio GTX-77
- Atlantic Technology 8200e OR 6200e

(IN WALL)
- BG Radia SA-360 (front LCR) & SS-202 (surrounds)
These are the finest in-walls in your budget so, IMO, no sense listing out any others. Ideally these would be used behind an acoustically transparent screen.

(Floor Standers)
I think this is an absolute waste of money for multi-channel unless you have to have floor standing speakers or really like the look aesthetically. Nothing wrong with either, btw. It's personal preference -certainly NOT a need.

- Atlantic Technology 8200e OR 6200e system (add matching pedestal stands).
- Martin Logan Electromotion or Theos systems .
- Phase-Technology Premier Collection
- RBH Signature series


As you can see, the list can go on and on and on with very different choices and options. If it were me, I would do the BG Radia system as those are my favorite speakers in the world and I prefer the hidden installation.
PlexMulti is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
^^^^^^^^

Single Row seating, fairly large room 23X30, listening position would not be quite reference, but loud when I am alone.
Current system, Denon 3312, Monitor Audio RX8's with the RX center channel. Dual PSA XV-30's subs with a Samsung 55" D8000 series.
Plans are to move up to Larger AVR with an Amp. Preferably a Marantz.

I don't want anything hidden or built in. In the future when I goto a theater build, I will certainly go that route, but for now, I love the look of a physical speaker. My wife and I sat and looked through different variations of cabinetry from the Salk line and we were in awe, just beautiful works of art. I'm old school I guess.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #10 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

JTR Triple 8s come in a nice Rosewood finish I believe, probably the best bang for the buck when it comes to crazy HT experience. Seaton might be another options, does some awesome looking finishes on his Submersive.
Yes I would love to hear the triple 8's and could be a front runner considering that I have heard great things. I have also heard that the Sho 10's were another great theater speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Why not look at the new Noesis 212ht from JTR and S8 surrounds.

Jeff offers some really nice finishes, the dark walnut looks awesome!
http://jtrspeakers.websitetoolbox.com/post/JTR-Custom-Speakers-5012941
I will take a peek at the JTR site in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

With your budget and fondness of a bargain give definitive tech a look...there 8080-st bipolar towers might fit your taste and be well under budget...smile.gif...incredible for movies and very pleasant for music...hope you find the right speaker for YOU...smile.gif...happy auditioning...smile.gif
I did hear the 8080 and I believe the 8060's? I think these speakers sounded fantastic, however considering that I have very large subs, these may no pair well for what I want.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #11 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 708
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you already have big subs that's great...with your budget there are many speakers out there to concider.I own the 8060's myself and I watch a lot of movies and listen to music....the definitives are a great double duty speaker....and like any speaker the way you set them up will determine there sound.I hope you find the right speaker for you...have fun in the hunt...smile.gif

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post

If you already have big stubs that's great...with your budget there are many speakers out there to concider.I own the 8060's myself and I watch a lot of movies and listen to music....the definitives are a great double duty speaker....and like any speaker the way you set them up will determine there sound.I hope you find the right speaker for you...have fun in the hunt...smile.gif
I like crystal clear highs, I guess I could say that I like horns, but don't want horns. I would like to find a speaker with superior highs, but not fatiguing. I have the bass covered, that is for sure, so top end clarity is surely my main purpose. I almost like the hunt more so that the reward if that makes any sense confused.gif
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #13 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
You should do a little reading up on the Noesis 212HT's, they're a horn design and no one has said they are fatiguing.
Might be worth while you following this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research,
There could be some speakers you could possibly be interested in.
I know you value a good ID brand because of the subs you have, JTR and Seaton are two companies that are pretty much at the top of the HT food chain as far as speakers go.
Reefdvr27 likes this.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #14 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

You should do a little reading up on the Noesis 212HT's, they're a horn design and no one has said they are fatiguing.
Might be worth while you following this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research,
There could be some speakers you could possibly be interested in.
I know you value a good ID brand because of the subs you have, JTR and Seaton are two companies that are pretty much at the top of the HT food chain as far as speakers go.
I am going to read it now! Thanks. How are XS-30's performing?
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #15 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

^^^^^^^^

Single Row seating, fairly large room 23X30, listening position would not be quite reference, but loud when I am alone.
Current system, Denon 3312, Monitor Audio RX8's with the RX center channel. Dual PSA XV-30's subs with a Samsung 55" D8000 series.
Plans are to move up to Larger AVR with an Amp. Preferably a Marantz.

I don't want anything hidden or built in. In the future when I goto a theater build, I will certainly go that route, but for now, I love the look of a physical speaker. My wife and I sat and looked through different variations of cabinetry from the Salk line and we were in awe, just beautiful works of art. I'm old school I guess.

Alright, good info!

I absolutely agree that there are some killer looking speakers out there that are real works of art and conversation pieces.

Given what you just said, I would go have a listen to some Martin Logan stuff. The Motion Series is great and incredibly articulate on the highs and the full blown electrostats will take your mind to another place when demoing speakers. If BG Radia still made floor standers I would tell you to listen to those but, hey... we can't have it all!

I'm a big proponent of using a receiver and an amp combo. Marantz SR5007 is $849 msrp and has preouts to go into an Emotiva, Parasound, etc. Best of luck in your search!
PlexMulti is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

Alright, good info!

I absolutely agree that there are some killer looking speakers out there that are real works of art and conversation pieces.

Given what you just said, I would go have a listen to some Martin Logan stuff. The Motion Series is great and incredibly articulate on the highs and the full blown electrostats will take your mind to another place when demoing speakers. If BG Radia still made floor standers I would tell you to listen to those but, hey... we can't have it all!

I'm a big proponent of using a receiver and an amp combo. Marantz SR5007 is $849 msrp and has preouts to go into an Emotiva, Parasound, etc. Best of luck in your search!
I have been looking at Vincent Amps, ever hear one?
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #17 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I have been looking at Vincent Amps, ever hear one?

Tube amps?

I have not gotten into Tube amps, personally. Although, I think it would be fun to do one in a two channel rig for Vinyl or something fun like that! I think that tube amps are kind of tough to judge without getting your hands on them. I definitely think that they look neat, that's for sure.
PlexMulti is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am going to read it now! Thanks. How are XS-30's performing?

So far I absolutely love them, they dig deep, and play tight clean and loud bass. Of course my room is only about 2100 cubic/ft. I think I recall you having a much bigger room then what I have? I keep meaning to buy an Omnimic setup so I can actually start to take so measurements.

Before I bought them I gave Tom some very detailed drawings and pictures of my room layout along with where I'd be placing the subs and he was pretty sure I'd have good output all the way down to 7-8hz and even without any measurements yet I'd have to say that I think he's pretty close is his assumption. The XS30s have quite the grin factor to them.

In regards to the Noesis 212HT's; I suggested them because among people that have heard them in person and at a couple GTG and blind auditions have raved about them.
I believe there was also a blind listening to them where they were put up against some high end Salk's and 7 out of 9 preferred them over the Salk's for HT and 6 out of 9 preferred the Noesis's over the Salk's for music too. They have received VERY high praise from people that have heard them in person. And with your budget they fall perfectly into what you're looking for.

I would have absolutly loved to get them but I just don't have the budget for them so I had to get their baby brother version the 228HT's while they were at their intro price of only $999ea. Which I believe at that price are an amazing value for price/performance much like your PSA subs.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #19 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,244
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irglcr.html

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

^^^^^^^^

Single Row seating, fairly large room 23X30, listening position would not be quite reference, but loud when I am alone.
Current system, Denon 3312, Monitor Audio RX8's with the RX center channel. Dual PSA XV-30's subs with a Samsung 55" D8000 series.
Plans are to move up to Larger AVR with an Amp. Preferably a Marantz.

I don't want anything hidden or built in. In the future when I goto a theater build, I will certainly go that route, but for now, I love the look of a physical speaker. My wife and I sat and looked through different variations of cabinetry from the Salk line and we were in awe, just beautiful works of art. I'm old school I guess.

What's wrong with your MA speakers (sensitivity 90.5dB/2.83V/m), PSA subs, & Denon AVR?

Just add an Outlaw 7500 amp for $1600, 135" Elite Screen for $413, & BenQ W7000 Projector for $1760. Do you have MA surround speakers also?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W7000-300-Inches-Quality-Projection/dp/B006HIKIKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486260&sr=8-2&keywords=benqw6000

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER135WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B007PM9WYG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486171&sr=8-4&keywords=Elite+fixed+screen
CleatusCat likes this.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Member
 
CleatusCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

What's wrong with your MA speakers (sensitivity 90.5dB/2.83V/m), PSA subs, & Denon AVR?

Just add an Outlaw 7500 amp for $1600, 135" Elite Screen for $413, & BenQ W7000 Projector for $1760. Do you have MA surround speakers also?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W7000-300-Inches-Quality-Projection/dp/B006HIKIKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486260&sr=8-2&keywords=benqw6000

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER135WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B007PM9WYG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486171&sr=8-4&keywords=Elite+fixed+screen

eek.gif I'm on board for the pj and screen. Those fit my budget very nicely!

Xbox Live- RumRiverKiller
HT Room- Samsung 550 64" Plasma, Tivo XL, Marantz SR-14 EX , BP3000TLs, CLR3000, BP2002 sides, Logitech 700
Music Room- Samsung 650 46" LCD, Tivo, Pioneer VSX-1120K , Canton GLE 409s, small cheap sub, Logitech 650
Garage- Kenwood VR606, Original Large Avents
CleatusCat is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
I think I am on board with JBrown15!! These speakers sound incredible and even through my average computer speakers. Computer speakers are next biggrin.gif

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSTiV5NruQ
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #23 of 28 Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
reefdvr27,

I don't know how you could do better than the 212HT period for movies or music. Subjectively, the 212HT is the best speaker I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a few. If that's too much $, then the 228HT are the little brother and are just about identical for movie performance - in room, but perhaps have a bit smaller sound stage than the big 212HT for music listening. Prepare to need to upgrade your subs to keep up if you like listening loud. wink.gif

For what it's worth if I was going to drop 3K to 10K on speakers I'd want to know what I was buying. Why don't you pick up a flight to dlbeck's Des Moines speaker g2g on April 27. They'll have Seaton Catalyst, JTR, Salk, SVS, GR Research, and Bamberg, and possibly others (DIY SEOS and JTR 228HT) to demo in person and determine what you subjectively like. After all - everybody has a bit of a unique preference.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research
Reefdvr27 likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Haha I told you Reef! wink.gif
It would almost be worth jumping on the extended discounted pricing and try out the smaller Noesis 228HT's to see how you like them. They offer basically 95% of the performance of the 212HT's and if you didn't like them I'm sure you'd have a line up of guys willing to buy them from you.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is online now  
post #25 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 AM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I think I am on board with JBrown15!! These speakers sound incredible and even through my average computer speakers. Computer speakers are next biggrin.gif

Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlSTiV5NruQ

Cool video! Thanks for the link.

Watching it, though, I could not help but think about how that little room is all hard surface. Tile floor & leather seating even! Holy echo chamber, Batman. Some like it bright!
PlexMulti is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 5,589
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Ha that's my room. Actually I don't like it bright at all as any of my buds will attest. Most speakers I've tried in my room are way too bright. That's one reason the Noesis really work for me. My room is deep. There is about 2/3s of the room still behind me,so at least rear reflections are cut down. The controlled directivity of the JTR horn's narrow dispersion pattern really cuts down on the reflected sound in a bright biased room like mine.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Archaea is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Haha I told you Reef! wink.gif
It would almost be worth jumping on the extended discounted pricing and try out the smaller Noesis 228HT's to see how you like them. They offer basically 95% of the performance of the 212HT's and if you didn't like them I'm sure you'd have a line up of guys willing to buy them from you.
Yeah, thanks for bringing these to my attention! I would love to find a pair local to listen to. However with some of the reviews, I am willing to jump in blind again. I love my MA RX8's, but I am looking for a more dynamic speaker. I want to feel the chills on my neck as Archaea said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

reefdvr27,

I don't know how you could do better than the 212HT period for movies or music. Subjectively, the 212HT is the best speaker I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a few. If that's too much $, then the 228HT are the little brother and are just about identical for movie performance - in room, but perhaps have a bit smaller sound stage than the big 212HT for music listening. Prepare to need to upgrade your subs to keep up if you like listening loud. wink.gif

For what it's worth if I was going to drop 3K to 10K on speakers I'd want to know what I was buying. Why don't you pick up a flight to dlbeck's Des Moines speaker g2g on April 27. They'll have Seaton Catalyst, JTR, Salk, SVS, GR Research, and Bamberg, and possibly others (DIY SEOS and JTR 228HT) to demo in person and determine what you subjectively like. After all - everybody has a bit of a unique preference.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460712/central-iowa-spring-audio-gtg-jtr-bamberg-seaton-salk-gr-research
APRIIL 27!!! I want them in my home tomorrow. The reviews are pretty convincing!! Honestly I don't think I could possibly get away right now, however so tempting just to hear and meet the builders.

Maybe you could fill me in. Could you do a pair of 212HT's and use a 228HT for a center?? or would you suggest 3 of the 212HT's for L,C,R? space would be a issue. Also how much of a difference between the 212HT LP and the 212Ht's? Thanks.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
post #28 of 28 Old 03-18-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Reefdvr27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,210
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

What's wrong with your MA speakers (sensitivity 90.5dB/2.83V/m), PSA subs, & Denon AVR?

Just add an Outlaw 7500 amp for $1600, 135" Elite Screen for $413, & BenQ W7000 Projector for $1760. Do you have MA surround speakers also?

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7500.html

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-W7000-300-Inches-Quality-Projection/dp/B006HIKIKQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486260&sr=8-2&keywords=benqw6000

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens-ER135WH1-Projection-Screen/dp/B007PM9WYG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363486171&sr=8-4&keywords=Elite+fixed+screen
I wish I could add a projector and screen, but its not going to go over well with the wife and there really is not a place to put it. A theater build is coming in the near future.
Reefdvr27 is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off