Originally Posted by Reefdvr27
I am on the hunt again for speakers for a 70/30 H/T >Music split. I am looking for the beauty of a Salk but a speaker that plays hard for H/T . So far I have been drawn to the Salk sound scape 8's and the Veracity series. Looking for more options /opinions. Budget is up to $10k but would love to find a bargain. Thanks
Your quality at $10,000 will be much greater than at $3,000. Heck, even $5,000 will typically outperform $3,000 in substantial ways as long as your room isn't the size of a walk-in closet. That being said, without actually knowing more detailed information people are just going to list things in that price range - which would include thousands of systems.
- Is the room already prewired, or can you design and wire for whatever you want?
- What kind of room is it? A family room? A dedicated room? A wide open basement?
- How many rows of seating & how are they laid out?
- What type of display? Projection, Flat Panel? Size?
- How is the furniture in the room laid out?
- Do you have to have towers for the front (which I consider almost always a waste if someone is going for primarily a multi-channel theater), or can you maybe do some other options: Like behind a screen, or in cabinetry?
- How many seating positions?
- How are the rear speakers going to be oriented? In-wall? In-ceiling? On-wall? On-floor?
- 7 channel or 5?
- Can you build or do you have cabinetry to house the speakers?
- Do you want something you can see or that is hidden?
- What volume level will you be listening at?
- What existing equipment are you going to use - if any? Amplifier or a receiver, etc? THIS could be a large determining factor in speaker recommendations.
- Any budget for room treatments or are they even an option? This can determine speaker budget as well.
With the kind of budget you have given you can really have something special, correctly done, and with any type of look you prefer. Or, you can over/under buy and waste a lot of money. Without qualifying details to work with you're just going to get people listing stuff out of thin air.
Just in case you don't want to answer the questions - and because I'm bored waiting on my wife to get ready for the day, I'll assume you have a decent medium/large sized space with a single row of seating and take a stab at listing some systems that I think are awesome and in your price range. I won't bother listing $3,000 rigs out because there's no fair comparison between the low, mid, and upper ends of your budget.
Can be had for $10,000 and under (assume all systems would have 2 subwoofers):(IN CABINET)
- Klipsch THX Ultra2
- ADAM-Audio GTX-77
- Atlantic Technology 8200e OR 6200e(IN WALL)
- BG Radia SA-360 (front LCR) & SS-202 (surrounds)
These are the finest in-walls in your budget so, IMO, no sense listing out any others. Ideally these would be used behind an acoustically transparent screen.(Floor Standers)
I think this is an absolute waste of money for multi-channel unless you have to have floor standing speakers or really like the look aesthetically. Nothing wrong with either, btw. It's personal preference -certainly NOT a need.
- Atlantic Technology 8200e OR 6200e system (add matching pedestal stands).
- Martin Logan Electromotion or Theos systems .
- Phase-Technology Premier Collection
- RBH Signature series
As you can see, the list can go on and on and on with very different choices and options. If it were me, I would do the BG Radia system as those are my favorite speakers in the world and I prefer the hidden installation.