Please Help! Need Speakers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am a novice but I know a little about home theater and the components of them. I have $1300 to spend on speakers. I have a Marantz SR5005 but I need some quality speakers with them. How about the KEF C7's, MartinLogan Motion 20, or some other ones. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
How many speakers you thinking of? Subwoofer(s)?

post #3 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Movies or music? Is sound more important than looks, or are they both important (wife or girlfriend acceptance)?

For those looking into getting Energy speakers, or upgrading their current Energy setup, here are some reviews I've written that may help:http://www.tempestaudio.blogspot.com  (haven't updated in a while, but include Energy Take Classic 5.1, RC-10, CF-70, and CC-10)

post #4 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Either a 5.1 or 7.1, but with the 7.1, I would use front height instead of the other way. I would like Nice looking speaker that are black. 50% Music, 50% Movies. The looks and sound are both important.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic View Post

Movies or music? Is sound more important than looks, or are they both important (wife or girlfriend acceptance)?

50% Music and 50% Movies. They are both important .
post #6 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

How big is your room and how loud are you planning on listening? (assuming just using the receiver for amp). Your budget is kinda skinny for a 7.1 in any case.

post #7 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

How big is your room and how loud are you planning on listening? (assuming just using the receiver for amp). Your budget is kinda skinny for a 7.1 in any case.

My room is 8 ft. High and 13 ft Long. and Not that loud because Im in a apartment and Ill just go into a 5.1 instead of a 7.1
post #8 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor A View Post

Either a 5.1 or 7.1, but with the 7.1, I would use front height instead of the other way.

Eh, in that case just go with a 5.1 system and put your money more towards quality than quantity, in my opinion.
Quote:

I would like Nice looking speaker that are black. 50% Music, 50% Movies. The looks and sound are both important.

I think that the following system would look sharp (albeit this is in the eye of the beholder) as well as sound good (ear of the beholder caveat):

1 x FOCAL Chorus CC814V = $370 (estimated, depending on shipping)
4 x FOCAL Chorus 705V = $798
1 x JBL SUB150P = $150
Total = $1318

That's just slightly over your budget. I went light on the subwoofer since you live in an apartment. Note that the center speaker doesn't completely match the others aesthetically (gloss black instead of black wood grain), but this is all I could find online--they're all attractive speakers that are matched in timbre. By the way, for $100 more you could upgrade your left & right front speakers to the FOCAL Chorus 706V; while this is probably unnecessary for your situation, I'd recommend it in case you can foresee using this system in a larger room in the future (may need a larger subwoofer by then, too). Keep in mind that these prices probably won't be around for all that long.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Another suggestion: ascend acoust cmt340 front stage(about 1000, shipped). Excellent speaker...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

For a B&M solution I like Robert's suggestion. I also have Ascend speakers and would recommend them. Maybe 5 x 170SEs all around (a bit less than $1000 delivered IIRC) and perhaps a more capable sub than the JBL (I like the Klipsch RW12d going on sale regularly for $300 delivered at newegg.com). Right at $1300.

PS disclaimer the cabinet of the 170SE ain't the prettiest finish, but it's black and you won't notice it without staring at it.

post #11 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 03:39 PM

(5) Cambridge Audio S30s $657
(1) SVS SB12-NSD $649
Total is $1306 shipped

(the only catch is that S30s are out of stock everywhere; Crutchfield says they expect them by 4/18)
post #12 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

Another suggestion: ascend acoust cmt340 front stage(about 1000, shipped). Excellent speaker...
Quote:

For a B&M solution I like Robert's suggestion. I also have Ascend speakers and would recommend them.

Well, I personally LOVE my Ascend SEs, but the OP said that looks are important, and most people think that the whole Ascend SE series looks ugly. I actually like how they look, so humble and understated, but then again I have no taste. biggrin.gif
Quote:

Maybe 5 x 170SEs all around (a bit less than $1000 delivered IIRC)

Hey, that's my system! I paid $788 for it and the price hasn't changed, although I picked it up from the factory instead of having it shipped, so I don't remember how much that would have cost. Let's just say about $850 or so, and less than that with HTM-200 SE surrounds.
Quote:

and perhaps a more capable sub than the JBL (I like the Klipsch RW12d going on sale regularly for $300 delivered at newegg.com). Right at $1300.

That's a great suggestion for a sub, but the OP lives in an apartment, so I don't know whether he'd want deeper or stronger bass than the JBL would provide. I've helped install a few systems in apartments, and I've always had to dial down the subs in those situations. One time we even had an irate downstairs neighbor come over for a "chat" during testing and calibration, and I wasn't even playing it loudly.
Quote:

PS disclaimer the cabinet of the 170SE ain't the prettiest finish, but it's black and you won't notice it without staring at it.

I think that the 170SE looks fine, and sort of like a miniature version of the legendary M&K S-150 wink.gif, but many people think that it looks like a chunky block. frown.gif Just sayin'...and giving reasons for recommending style over pure value (although the FOCALs aren't a bad value at these sale prices), since the OP said that looks are important.

A decent alternative that would allow for a much beefier subwoofer could be the following:
3 x Boston Acoustics A26 = $450 (estimated)
2 x Boston Acoustics A23 = $160 (estimated)
1 x SVS SB12-NSD = $649
Total = $1259

These deals won't last long, either (except for the subwoofer in this case).
post #13 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

Well, I personally LOVE my Ascend SEs, but the OP said that looks are important, and most people think that the whole Ascend SE series looks ugly. I actually like how they look, so humble and understated, but then again I have no taste. biggrin.gif
Hey, that's my system! I paid $788 for it and the price hasn't changed, although I picked it up from the factory instead of having it shipped, so I don't remember how much that would have cost. Let's just say about $850 or so, and less than that with HTM-200 SE surrounds.
That's a great suggestion for a sub, but the OP lives in an apartment, so I don't know whether he'd want deeper or stronger bass than the JBL would provide. I've helped install a few systems in apartments, and I've always had to dial down the subs in those situations. One time we even had an irate downstairs neighbor come over for a "chat" during testing and calibration, and I wasn't even playing it loudly.
I think that the 170SE looks fine, and sort of like a miniature version of the legendary M&K S-150 wink.gif, but many people think that it looks like a chunky block. frown.gif Just sayin'...and giving reasons for recommending style over pure value (although the FOCALs aren't a bad value at these sale prices), since the OP said that looks are important.

A decent alternative that would allow for a much beefier subwoofer could be the following:
3 x Boston Acoustics A26 = $450 (estimated)
2 x Boston Acoustics A23 = $160 (estimated)
1 x SVS SB12-NSD = $649
Total = $1259

These deals won't last long, either (except for the subwoofer in this case).

My neighbors dont care about Subwoofers and loud sound. What if I had $2000 To spend, What are your suggestions?
post #14 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

My neighbors dont care about subwoofers and loudness because they do that as well. What if I had $2000 for speakers? What about some front towers? My wife wants some of them.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Kinda going back to the 340SE suggestion for towers, on appropriate stands they are up there with most towers. Ascend Sierra towers are also available, but that's pushing your budget way out there just for front three (but likely you'd frikkin' fall in love with them is my guess smile.gif ).

Aesthetics/WAF can play hell with good setups smile.gif

post #16 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

How about the Cambridge Audio S70?
post #17 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:

How about the Cambridge Audio S70?

Some people on here have said they're good, but I haven't heard the S70s yet myself. Keep in mind that if you are listening with a good subwoofer, the S70's deeper bass capability may be superfluous. It appears to have the same tweeter as the S30, but the bass drivers are different. If you're looking for floorstanders, I'd say they're worth an audition.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonate View Post

Some people on here have said they're good, but I haven't heard the S70s yet myself. Keep in mind that if you are listening with a good subwoofer, the S70's deeper bass capability may be superfluous. It appears to have the same tweeter as the S30, but the bass drivers are different. If you're looking for floorstanders, I'd say they're worth an audition.

Do you think it will be overkill with the SVS PB1000?
post #19 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Do you think it will be overkill with the SVS PB1000?

It wouldn't be like 'bass overkill', it's just that their bass contribution might be redundant. You'd probably end up setting the S70s to 'Small' in the receiver so they'd be playing like they were bookshelf sized speakers (e.g. 60Hz or 80Hz crossover). On the other hand, leaving the S70s set to 'Large' and letting them play full range might help even out the bass response in your room as it would be kind of like having 3 subwoofers (for 2 channel sources anyway; I'm not sure they'd do well with an LFE track).

A PB1000 sounds like it would do the trick but to be more sure we'd have to know how many cubic feet the space is and whether or not it opens to other rooms.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It wouldn't be like 'bass overkill', it's just that their bass contribution might be redundant. You'd probably end up setting the S70s to 'Small' in the receiver so they'd be playing like they were bookshelf sized speakers (e.g. 60Hz or 80Hz crossover). On the other hand, leaving the S70s set to 'Large' and letting them play full range might help even out the bass response in your room as it would be kind of like having 3 subwoofers (for 2 channel sources anyway; I'm not sure they'd do well with an LFE track).

Ok I get it now. What center channel do you recommend for under $250?
post #21 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Ok I get it now. What center channel do you recommend for under $250?

I use and recommend an S30 but the S50 is the 'matching' center for the S series.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I use and recommend an S30 but the S50 is the 'matching' center for the S series.

If you have the space a 3rd S30 would be a slightly better center. The S30 is 8.25" tall.

The price of a S50 and a second pair of S30's is the same. (You'd likely be able to sell the left over S30 if you wanted, or find someone else with a left over S30.)
post #23 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

If you have the space a 3rd S30 would be a slightly better center. The S30 is 8.25" tall.

The price of a S50 and a second pair of S30's is the same. (You'd likely be able to sell the left over S30 if you wanted, or find someone else with a left over S30.)

I need a center channel speaker that is 6" tall or shorter because of the space.
post #24 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Wharfedale’s Diamond 10.1 or Focal chorus 705v?
post #25 of 25 Old 03-18-2013, 07:02 AM

I'll add my 2 cents in here, being I was in the same boat not that long ago. I decided to go with the Emp Tek Impression line of speakers. http://www.emptek.com/products.php. There are quite a few reviews out there and being internet direct you won't be able to audition them, unless someone close to you has them and would let you however, they do offer a free 30 day trial and free shipping both ways. I went with the E55ti Tower's E56Ci Center and two E5Bi Bookshelf speakers and couldn't be happier. I am running them with an Emotiva XPA-3 amp for the fronts and center channel, and have a custom Mach 5 Audio subwoofer that goes along with these but for the cost they are probably one of the best cost performance ratio speakers out there IMO.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page