I have 5000 $ budget for a 5.1 speaker setup... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wasn't talking about you, jbrown15, I believe AcuDefTechGuy uses Denon. I don't know why you thought I directed that at you?.... and I'm not just pumping one brand I've made it clear that I don't even own Anthem and waiting till I can compare it to Cambridge and Arcam, I'm not even telling him to buy Anthem and that he should hear them all for himself, all I did was give my impression of the different ones I've ab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 735
No worries, I thought it was directed at me because I was talking about Denon.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
post #63 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

You can't tell audio equipment from numbers and testing scores.

Quite convenient to say when the gears you PREFER don't measure as well. eek.gif

It's the age-old amps vs amps and preamps vs preamps debate. So let's just agree to disagree and stop with "this AVR sounds better than that AVR" or "this blows away that".

It's one opinion vs another, not some fact just because one bias review says so.
post #64 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

All this talk about Anthem sounding better then Denon, Marantz, Pioneer and Yamaha is starting to be too much to take. It's starting to sound like the old "this amp is magical and sounds way better then that amp". I personally A/B tested a Anthem MRX700 with a Denon AVR-4520 and a high store a friend works at and when using the same speakers they sounded the exact same.

The same friend has said they have returned far more Anthem receivers and would take a Denon over all of the receivers they sell.
I personally think you should get which ever brand does it for you but stop trying to say band A sounds 10 times better then brand X.

I agree 100%.

We could very easily say, "Anthem and Arcam sound like crap compared to Denon & Marantz & Integra, but don't let us influence your decision". At least Marantz, Denon, & Integra have the measurements to back them up. We can't say the same for Anthem, Arcam, or some other names. biggrin.gif

It's call audiophile BS. It gives audiophiles a bad name. We have Golden Ears. biggrin.gif

"They sound better even if they measure worse" ? Because measurements don't mean anything? That's why all the major authorities measure components ? Because the measurements don't mean anything? So measurements are for aesthetic reasons or WAF?
biggrin.gif

I fully expect the general population to discredit and belittle measurements. But it's sad when "audiophiles" do the same exact thing as the general population! What is separating audiophiles from the general public? biggrin.gif
post #65 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 244
"Monitor" is a company that makes some very cheap low-quality speakers, and should not be confused with "Monitor Audio" which is a British company that makes some excellent speakers; some of the best you can get for under $2000.

KEF and Monitor Audio would be very good choices for a system.

But if you want the BEST system available for under $5000, I don't think anything can touch the Gallo Acoustics Classico system, which was reviewed in Home Theater magazine recently.

The Gallo CL-3 is an amazing speaker, and the rest of the system is also.

The only caveat is that their subwoofer is not the one you want; a good 12" one from NHT or Rythmic would be the best choice there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I have only heard two generations of the Monitor Floorstanding speakers next to B&W CM7s and I thought they were both very muddy and veiled but a younger colleague liked the Paradigms better than the CM7s. He was in to movies and gaming and less worried about music. He ended up buying a Def Tech system.
Now I have not heard the Studio or Signature series so they may be worlds better, but I was turned off by what I heard but it made it clear to me that speaker choices are subjective and you should listen to as many as you can and pick what you like.
If both music and movies are important I like Kef. If music not a priority then KK, JTR, Tekton and others are known for cinema. For music as a priority, in addition to Kef I would add B&W, Revel, and although I have not yet heard them Salk and Philharmonic based on feedback from others on this forum. In the end it is what you like.
Edit: I would also have to believe TAD would be extremely good also as it has Kef ties but taken very high.
post #66 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Anthem isn't a Canadian company anymore, it's American now, if I wanted to push Canadian I'd be pushing NAD or Bryston. Look it doesn't matter to me who fan bois what, I don't even own Anthem right now and maybe I wont when I buy a new AVR as I still want to ab it against Cambridge and Arcam, so I don't have anything invested in Anthem, just going by how it faired up to others when I ab avrs, and in my opinion they do sound different and that's because of their DSP processing and room corrections effects the sound, for me and what I've tested as of now imho Anthem MRX is the best I've heard and it never had issues with power, even the 300. If your running it just off the amp than yeah I agree they'll sound the same. We all have different opinions on this topic and what speakers sound better, which is why I said you have to listen to them yourself to find out what sounds best. You have Marantz and your pushing that, I get it, the other guy has Denon and he pushed that, that's cool you have that, you like it and happy with it that's fine, I own Harman Kardon and I'm not pushing that cause there's a reason why I'm looking at upgrading and I don't feel it matches up with the competition out there so I wouldn't recommend it, just giving my honest opinion. Like I said earlier with a $2000 budget he has a lot of great options, including ID like outlaw.

Also, when I tested the MRX 300 it didn't lack anything compared to the Denon, Marantz and Yamaha, in the UK forums there's a few guys who sold the Arcam FMJ 600 for the Anthem MRX 300 after hearing the Anthem!, that's saying a lot for that amp considering the Arcam 600 is 6 times the MRX 300 price. Again we all have different taste in things and if there was only one clear choice than we wouldn't have competition.

I'm going to list this in bullet points so the facts don't get passed by by anyone interested in them. I have also put into bold your statements so you can see my responses in order.....

1: No, it absolutely is Canadian. It's part of a company called Sonic Frontiers which is Anthem, Anthem Statement, and Paradigm brands. Here is their website: www.Sonicfrontiers.com , and here is a link to their "Contact Us" page: www.SonicFrontiers.com/contact-us . The only address is 205 Annagem Blvd., Mississauga, ON L5T 2V1. That's because they are Canadian.

2: I can sit here all day and repeat and reflect on what manufacturers, sales reps, etc. and I have had dialogue about or what gear we use and why/why not and someone is perfectly free to choose to believe it or not. Belief is a choice and facts are facts. FACT: It is impossible to directly compare receivers between different dealers, and most times even within the same dealer.

3: This DSP mode stuff is really overblown and in large part marketing gimmicks at this point for many reasons. DSP mode comes down to user preference and even then often times people prefer to not use it at all. While I would consider Audyssey as the gold standard, you feel like it's Anthem. Other people make threads about Ypao, Mcacc, and whatever the next "digital silver bullet" logo Onkyo or whoever decides to paint on their chassis. To say one is superior over the other is not factual.

4: As I stated as clearly as possible in the post you quoted, I am NOT "pushing" Marantz or any other brand for any reason. I recommended the SR5007 because of it's features, build quality, and price point when coupled with a 3 channel amp in relation to the OP's budget and potential speaker choices.

5: I absolutely agree, he has a lot of options.

6: As far as Guys on forums saying they've tested, traded in, a,b,c outperformed, etc. I would remind everyone of the scandal where employees from a certain ID company who's job it was to infiltrate message boards posing as regular members and either mention their products and/or turn as many forum posts they could into conversations about their products, especially posts and reviews regarding their competitors products and products that regarded B&M brands. This is how they directed potential buyers to their website and grew their business. I am NOT saying that is what anyone is doing in the European forums you're mentioning or here. Just pointing out that on the internet anyone can be or say anything they want.... INCLUDING ME..... so take it all with at least a little trepidation.
post #67 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The unequivocally BEST thing to do is research all the well-measured speakers and weed out all the poorly-measured speakers. Then audition the contenders and select the one you most PREFER, taking all factors into consideration (price, aesthetic, WAF, pride of ownership, etc).

Speaker measurement is objective. Speaker sound quality is subjective. It all comes down to what you prefer, not what people claim as "BEST EVER". biggrin.gif

If you had 2 speakers that both sound great, but one of them measure POORLY, which speaker would you buy?
post #68 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 148
All I going to say on the subject is my last 3 receivers have been 2 Yamahas and the Denon mentioned eariler....all 3 of those avrs speced higher than my mrx300....BUT to me it means nothing....I couldn't discern any difference when properly set up in my home vs. SNR,distortion levels or continuess power ratings into 2/5 or 7 channels....the one major difference I noticed IMO is how ARC handled the issues in my room. If you require RC/EQ due to problematic issues that could arise in your room just for auguemnt sake...with the OP budget he should consider a avr with XT32 or ARC....for those reasons...smile.gif

My 2 cents...smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #69 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

The unequivocally BEST thing to do is research all the well-measured speakers and weed out all the poorly-measured speakers. Then audition the contenders and select the one you most PREFER, taking all factors into consideration (price, aesthetic, WAF, pride of ownership, etc).

Speaker measurement is objective. Speaker sound quality is subjective. It all comes down to what you prefer, not what people claim as "BEST EVER". biggrin.gif

If you had 2 speakers that both sound great, but one of them measure POORLY, which speaker would you buy?

You poked fun at the BW for years before you bought them...they didn't measure great now they do...go figure...wink.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

post #70 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

No, it absolutely is Canadian.

But even the $2,000 Anthem MRX is made in CHINA. It is NOT made in Canada. Made in China.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-anthem-mrx-700-av-receiver

Whereas the $2K Denon & Marantz are made in Japan, if that means anything to anyone.

post #71 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

It says made in Japan...NO...look closely.
It says "Made in China"

post #72 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You poked fun at the BW for years before you bought them...they didn't measure great now they do...go figure...wink.gif

I have never ever said that B&W measures great. Never. Ever.

I still poke fun of B&W's measurements even on the B&W Owners's thread! biggrin.gif

Fact is fact. Measurement is fact. Black & white.

The 800D2 still measures +/-5dB, but the 802D2 measures +/-2.9dB.

But SQ is subjective and depends on preference.

Bottom line, you will never see me say "so and so speakers and electronics blow something else away" because it is based on personal preference.
post #73 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It says "Made in China"

You only posted the 2nd pic after I quoted you...just saying...biggrin.gif

Hence why I deleted it...BTW....I wouldn't recomend either or those 2 avrs if his budget is about 2000-2500 for speakers....smile.gif

post #74 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All I going to say on the subject is my last 3 receivers have been 2 Yamahas and the Denon mentioned eariler....all 3 of those avrs speced higher than my mrx300...I couldn't discern any difference when properly set up in my home...

And I agree 100%.

You will never see me say that Denon sounds better because they measure better.

I was just responding to preposterous comments like "Anthem BLOWS away Denon SQ".

ARC vs Audyssey vs any other RC is personal preference. Some may like ARC, some may like Audyssey, some may like some other RC.
post #75 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:

But even the $2,000 Anthem MRX is made in CHINA. It is NOT made in Canada. Made in China.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-anthem-mrx-700-av-receiver

Whereas the $2K Denon & Marantz are made in Japan, if that means anything to anyone.

No, man, he said Anthem was no longer a Canadian company and that it was an American company. I pointed out that they are a Canadian based manufacturer, NOT made in Canada. smile.gif Also, I believe that some of their electronics and amps are made in North America, just not the receivers.
post #76 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wouldn't recomend either or those 2 avrs if his budget is about 2000-2500 for speakers....smile.gif

I agree 100%. biggrin.gif

Again, even if I own $100,000 amps $200,000 speakers, you will never see me say they "BLOW other gears away". It is pure personal preference.
post #77 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, man, he said Anthem was no longer a Canadian company and that it was an American company. I pointed out that they are a Canadian based manufacturer, NOT made in Canada. smile.gif Also, I believe that some of their electronics and amps are made in North America, just not the receivers.

I get what you're saying. it's a Canadian company and the Anthem is DESIGNED in Canada.

I was just pointing out the fact that the Anthem is MADE in China because he made fun of Denon & Marantz being "Japanese". biggrin.gif

Anthem amps & pre-pros are made in Canada, AVR made in China, Integrated amp made in Taiwan.
post #78 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I've noticed that more and more lately that people are going overboard to defend what they own or have had personally experience with...it's human nature...smile.gif. To the OP you'll have a difficult time finding a subjective or unbias opinion here on any forum...it is best to use the advice and information given to gain the knownledge in making your next decision....I would start with your budget and allocate the funds accordingly....speakers>sub>avr...smile.gif

Good luck...Rash1

post #79 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well, thanks for all comments and opinions.. and actually some posts help me decide.. i don't know all that much about high end or even medium end amps and speakers.. as you probably all noticed from my questions.. and i live in a place where no high end audio store has these makes available to listen to... so i'll probably buy direct unless i drive 2 hours out and go to a specialized store. I come from a Pioneer Elite VSX-82 wich i thought was not bad, but sometimes lacked the power in certain circumstances with low output signal. I had Axiom epic 60-500 and did not like bass performance from the sub but the rest was not bas either. I think the speakers are 10 times more important than the amp , from what i heard before in demo rooms, changing speakers with the same source makes a huge difference but changing the amps with the same speakers most times made no difference.. although maybe in home theater the modes make more difference but in pure stereo sound, all the same to me. I did like ordering from canadien companies because shipping is a lot easier being in canada myself. I'll look into marantz and Denon, but the speaker issue is not yet resolved... Thanks all for comments , i read and i learn.... keep em coming:D
post #80 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Rash just be carful when you audition speakers in a dealer demo... that they level match the said speakers...some speakers will gain an advantage over others if not done properly...just make sure you're using music samples your comfortable or familiar with.

post #81 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:

Rash just be carful when you audition speakers in a dealer demo... that they level match the said speakers...some speakers will gain an advantage over others if not done properly...just make sure you're using music samples your comfortable or familiar with.
ok... i always run exact same soundtracks back to back in same environnement.. i see you have a Ascend and Axiom setup with Anthem amp... how do you like your setup? .. what is your sub?
post #82 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah...I use the Q's with the Ascends. The Q's are somewhat diffused in nature, dispersion of sound made viewing movies more engaging when I first got them. One of the trends lately I've noticed comes with watching BRD and those dedicated channels found in 5.1/7.1 soundtracks formats have become more relevant. Most mfgs build their speakers and voice them to sound similar across all lines...within reason....of course. Axiom and Ascends don't share those traits and why I'm looking at the htm200 SE because my listening habbits have changed ...geared more towards music and why I am looking to make a switch. The Sub is a custom design .. any decent ID would suffice but being Canadian doesn't help in that respect...maybe Svs....FWIW.....Funk Audio built mine...but his business model has gone in another direction more upscale but you'll get what you pay for!

Re: Bill....

post #83 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I'm going to list this in bullet points so the facts don't get passed by by anyone interested in them. I have also put into bold your statements so you can see my responses in order.....

1: No, it absolutely is Canadian. It's part of a company called Sonic Frontiers which is Anthem, Anthem Statement, and Paradigm brands. Here is their website: www.Sonicfrontiers.com , and here is a link to their "Contact Us" page: www.SonicFrontiers.com/contact-us . The only address is 205 Annagem Blvd., Mississauga, ON L5T 2V1. That's because they are Canadian.

2: I can sit here all day and repeat and reflect on what manufacturers, sales reps, etc. and I have had dialogue about or what gear we use and why/why not and someone is perfectly free to choose to believe it or not. Belief is a choice and facts are facts. FACT: It is impossible to directly compare receivers between different dealers, and most times even within the same dealer.

3: This DSP mode stuff is really overblown and in large part marketing gimmicks at this point for many reasons. DSP mode comes down to user preference and even then often times people prefer to not use it at all. While I would consider Audyssey as the gold standard, you feel like it's Anthem. Other people make threads about Ypao, Mcacc, and whatever the next "digital silver bullet" logo Onkyo or whoever decides to paint on their chassis. To say one is superior over the other is not factual.

4: As I stated as clearly as possible in the post you quoted, I am NOT "pushing" Marantz or any other brand for any reason. I recommended the SR5007 because of it's features, build quality, and price point when coupled with a 3 channel amp in relation to the OP's budget and potential speaker choices.

5: I absolutely agree, he has a lot of options.

6: As far as Guys on forums saying they've tested, traded in, a,b,c outperformed, etc. I would remind everyone of the scandal where employees from a certain ID company who's job it was to infiltrate message boards posing as regular members and either mention their products and/or turn as many forum posts they could into conversations about their products, especially posts and reviews regarding their competitors products and products that regarded B&M brands. This is how they directed potential buyers to their website and grew their business. I am NOT saying that is what anyone is doing in the European forums you're mentioning or here. Just pointing out that on the internet anyone can be or say anything they want.... INCLUDING ME..... so take it all with at least a little trepidation.

Paradigm/Anthem was sold to an American company, it's not owned by a Canadian company anymore.
post #84 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:

Paradigm/Anthem was sold to an American company, it's not owned by a Canadian company anymore.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.shoreviewindustries.com/recent-transactions/paradigm-electronics-inc-and-martin-logan/
post #85 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

The unequivocally BEST thing to do is research all the well-measured speakers and weed out all the poorly-measured speakers.

How does one do that?

How do I know it was measured right and not messed with to show a better response than what it actually gives?

Quote:

Ummm really? If it sounds great but doesn't measure great what does it matter? Which is better a great measuring speaker that doesn't sound that great or a great sounding speaker that doesn't measure great?

B&W aren't all that great of a speaker (measurement wise) but that didn't stop you from purchasing them. Theres also the big factor of sonic characteristics of a speaker that measurements just don't provide.
post #86 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.shoreviewindustries.com/recent-transactions/paradigm-electronics-inc-and-martin-logan/

This is company is an investment firm who purchased a portion of the company. This is not the equivalent of Paradigm being sold and is now an American company.
post #87 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

This is company is an investment firm who purchased a portion of the company. This is not the equivalent of Paradigm being sold and is now an American company.

I don't know, just going by what an Anthem dealer said, that Anthem Paradigm were sold to an American company.
post #88 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know, just going by what an Anthem dealer said, that Anthem Paradigm were sold to an American company.

Wouldn't suprise me in the least...API(Energy & Mirage) was bought by Klipsch...why not PSB or Paradigm....hell Audiovox later bought Klipsch....

post #89 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

"Monitor" is a company that makes some very cheap low-quality speakers, and should not be confused with "Monitor Audio" which is a British company that makes some excellent speakers; some of the best you can get for under $2000.

KEF and Monitor Audio would be very good choices for a system.

But if you want the BEST system available for under $5000, I don't think anything can touch the Gallo Acoustics Classico system, which was reviewed in Home Theater magazine recently.

The Gallo CL-3 is an amazing speaker, and the rest of the system is also.

The only caveat is that their subwoofer is not the one you want; a good 12" one from NHT or Rythmic would be the best choice there.
The Monitor is a Paradigm line not brand I was referring to. Just like their Studio and Signatures are lines that Paradigm makes.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #90 of 102 Old 03-24-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

How do I know it was measured right and not messed with to show a better response than what it actually gives?
I don't think the NRC, Stereophile, Audioholics, Home Theater Magazine, and Sound & Vision Magazine are doctoring the measurements.
Quote:

Which is better a great measuring speaker that doesn't sound that great or a great sounding speaker that doesn't measure great?
NONE OF THE ABOVE.

How about a speaker that MEASURES GREAT AND SOUND GREAT?
Quote:

B&W aren't all that great of a speaker (measurement wise) but that didn't stop you from purchasing them. Theres also the big factor of sonic characteristics of a speaker that measurements just don't provide.

The B&W 802D2 has a listening window 5-point average FR of +/-2.9dB, which is better than a lot of speakers.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/bampw-802-diamond-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures

The B&W 705 is the best measured B&W I have ever seen. On-axis is very flat about +/-2dB, horizontal off-axis is very smooth, 50" cumulative spectral decay is super clean.

"Overall, the 705's measured performance reveals superb speaker engineering on the part of B&W." —John Atkinson

http://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-705-loudspeaker-measurements
Quote:

If it sounds great but doesn't measure great what does it matter?

We all have certain standards and they don't have to be the same standards as yours or mine. That's why I wanted to see how the OP feels about it. Perhaps he doesn't care at all about measurements. Perhaps he does.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page