I have 5000 $ budget for a 5.1 speaker setup... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 03-16-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm starting a new theater room project in my new home.. i have approximatly 5000$ budget for speakers... I had Axiom Epic 60-500 before, and was not super impressed with the bass blending of my setup. Granted my acoustics where probably not tops, but i'm looking to start at ground zero. What is the best 5.1 setup speakers, with good center speaker and good bass for a 14 x 16 foot room .

Thanks for inputs..

i live in a town with not that much choice in distributors...

RASH
Rash1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 102 Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 725
You could build a really nice system and order everything from Ascend Acoustics!
Going with Sierra towers, Sierra horizon, a pair of CBM-170 for surrounds and a FV15HP for your sub.

That would be a pretty hard 5.1 system to beat for under $5000.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is offline  
post #3 of 102 Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your input.... i'll look into those...

so many brands out there... sometimes difficult to find reviews on every make...
Rash1 is offline  
post #4 of 102 Old 03-17-2013, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 725
The Sierra towers are very highly regarded as an excellent speaker, you'd have a hard time finding negative comments about them. The FV15HP sub is an absolute beast of a sub if the size doesn't bother you. If you were ordering everything threw Ascend you get a discount too.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is offline  
post #5 of 102 Old 03-17-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Billy p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Markham,Ont
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Having owned Axiom products I can tell you of their strenght and weakness...I never owned a Axiom sub so I won't comment on them but I've never experienced bass limitation or issues when using my current sub with Axiom products....yeah...some rooms do come into play and can efffect the sound but most avrs with RC/EQ software tame those issues.

I now own Ascend speakers that I'm extremely happy with and would highly recommend them...I know with that budget you'll have many options as others will likely point out or suggest....fwiw...recently another member switched from Axiom's to some Aperions(ID also) and posted his thoughts in their speaker forum thread...AAMOF...one new Ascend owner is using his M80's as surrounds with his new RAAL towers up front....if that tells you anything....cool.gif

Good luck....smile.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
Billy p is offline  
post #6 of 102 Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks... now i gotta shop for an amp...AV receiver...
Rash1 is offline  
post #7 of 102 Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Since this is for HT, not a big compelling reason to go with a tower speaker, since a sub/subs will be used. When you set the crossover to 80Hz, you will not be using the lower bass response a tower speaker usually gives you. Now if this was a dual purpose system, HT and two channel music, then towers make a lot more sense. I would go with book shelf and use the saved money for a second sub. That would give you more bang for your buck. If you would like to talk specifics, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #8 of 102 Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, What about mainstream makes, like JBL, Polk Audio, paradigm, monitor audio, Klipsch ... these are more readily available in my area...?
Rash1 is offline  
post #9 of 102 Old 03-18-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I would get a system that not only sound great, but also measures great on Stereophile, Soundstage/NRC, or Home Theater Magazine.

Speakers like Revel (F12/C12/M12) & KEF (Q900/cQ600/Q300) are 2 examples. They sound great and measure great as well. Members have been able to obtain these systems for around $2200-$2300 for 5 speakers.

Then get dual Rythmik FV15HP (H550) for another $2300.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=systems

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #10 of 102 Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Newbie01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Lets not leave out Dennis Murphy or Jim Sulk speakers... And I agree with the Rythmik ...but I own a FV15HP...great sub.
Newbie01 is offline  
post #11 of 102 Old 03-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member
 
Emig5m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Since this is for HT, not a big compelling reason to go with a tower speaker, since a sub/subs will be used. When you set the crossover to 80Hz, you will not be using the lower bass response a tower speaker usually gives you.

Yea but sometimes a tower speaker in the same lineup have a better midrange driver and that is still noticeable when using a sub. Example: B&W 685 bookshelf vs the 683. On the other hand the 684 tower has the same bass/mid driver as the smaller bookshelf so then I would agree with just getting the bookshelf speaker with a sub in that case. But that isn't always the case... The 683's midrange shines over the bookshelf sub or no sub....
Emig5m is offline  
post #12 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so many choices, so little budget.. i Wonder how important is listening to speakers before you buy, because its impossible to reproduce same environnement and specs from one store to another..so its a bit difficult to choose ... thanks for the inputs guys... nobody likes the paradigms?
Rash1 is offline  
post #13 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Yea but sometimes a tower speaker in the same lineup have a better midrange driver and that is still noticeable when using a sub. Example: B&W 685 bookshelf vs the 683. On the other hand the 684 tower has the same bass/mid driver as the smaller bookshelf so then I would agree with just getting the bookshelf speaker with a sub in that case. But that isn't always the case... The 683's midrange shines over the bookshelf sub or no sub....

The recommendation for a bookshelf over the tower applies when looking at what you get for the same dollar value. You combine that with losing the low end ability of the tower to the sub and I still say there is not a compelling argument to go with towers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #14 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Senior Member
 
wpbpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The recommendation for a bookshelf over the tower applies when looking at what you get for the same dollar value. You combine that with losing the low end ability of the tower to the sub and I still say there is not a compelling argument to go with towers.

Sorry Mike but I have to disagree. I was recently shopping for speakers and found that by the time I added a good set of speaker stands I'd be spending close to and at times more than the towers. And you'd be getting better overall speakers. Now if asthetics and space are a priority then I would agree.
As for the OP If i had not gotten such a fantastic deal on my Thiel SCS4T I would've purchased a set of Focal Chorus 806V
wpbpete is offline  
post #15 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The recommendation for a bookshelf over the tower applies when looking at what you get for the same dollar value. You combine that with losing the low end ability of the tower to the sub and I still say there is not a compelling argument to go with towers.

This is correct.

Having a speaker that goes down far past 80hz doesn't matter in a multi-channel system because the speakers, when setup correctly, will never... ever see that from the processor/amp. In-general, signals under 80hz get cutoff and rerouted to the subwoofer. Why? Because bass under 80hz offers no localization, Dolby Labs set the AC3 standard this way to allow for the best subwoofer placement for the room. This yields, in properly set systems, the best sound for a MOVIE sound track. Again, this has NOTHING to do with 2 channel listening and is NOT part of this reasoning or setup.

There is one particular reason (performance wise) to go with larger speakers for HT use and that is if your room is incredibly large and you will need the extra extension to hit reference volumes. Even then, there are some really large "bookshelf" speakers that are designed for maximum output all the way to 80hz in large rooms. Can you run some of those as full range or "large"? Sure. Does it do anything for you? Not unless you are without sub.

Klipsch THX Ultra2 & Atlantic Technology's 8200e systems are designed for large rooms and neither of those are floor standing. Phase Technology dARTS will play reference level sound pressures in incredibly large spaces and that system uses 6 1/2" woofers in very compact speakers. ADAM-Audio has two GTC models that will do high output in largish rooms. PSB has speakers like this as well. Many many companies do.

BG Radia has an in-wall, the SA-360 http://bgcorp.com/PDFs/SA-360%20ProductSheet.pdf that is not particularly huge at 32" tall. It utilizes 2, 8" woofers for the low end. While you can run these as "large" and use them as 2 channel stereo speakers if desired, this speaker will absolutely crush a HUGE room when crossed over to 80hz. We used this coupled with a Parasound 5250 in a 40' wide x 50' deep open basement behind a 165" screen and it was unreal. Absolutely did NOT flinch at reference at the seating position 20' away. Crystal clear and dynamic without breaking a sweat.

My point is that if you look at most manufacturers theater system offerings, you will not find many floor standing models. In fact, it's quite the opposite: A great many large monitors. Typically, you are going to get a much better system, with higher quality for the $$$$ if you stick with models engineered for high output down to 80hz. One exception to this would be line arrays where a larger wave form is needed to cover multiple rows of seating.

Hope this helps someone!
PlexMulti is offline  
post #16 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Sorry Mike but I have to disagree. I was recently shopping for speakers and found that by the time I added a good set of speaker stands I'd be spending close to and at times more than the towers. And you'd be getting better overall speakers. Now if asthetics and space are a priority then I would agree.
As for the OP If i had not gotten such a fantastic deal on my Thiel SCS4T I would've purchased a set of Focal Chorus 806V

I understand what you are saying, but it can't be factored into the discussion because needing stands or not is not relevant to performance of the speaker itself in the given application (a multi-channel system for AC3 WITH a sub). You also have to take into account variables that would cause people to not need stands (price consideration of which is a variable in and of itself). For example, maybe the have a built in unit, or they want to wall mount, or a false wall, etc.

Also, when you say, "You'd be getting better overall speakers." My response would be, "For what purpose?". For multi-channel with subwoofer? I would say no. For 2 channel music? Sure, absolutely! It all depends on the use.
PlexMulti is offline  
post #17 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Sorry Mike but I have to disagree. I was recently shopping for speakers and found that by the time I added a good set of speaker stands I'd be spending close to and at times more than the towers. And you'd be getting better overall speakers. Now if asthetics and space are a priority then I would agree.
As for the OP If i had not gotten such a fantastic deal on my Thiel SCS4T I would've purchased a set of Focal Chorus 806V

Generally towers in the same price range as book shelf speakers do not have as well braced a cabinet and often times tower speakers at the same price point do not have as good components. The shipping cost difference helps pay for the speaker stands. If using an AT screen like I am, then you have next to nothing in speaker stands. smile.gif I guess we should ask the OP'er what is his listening distance and does he want to be able to push the volume or does he only listen at moderate volume levels.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #18 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Rash1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, my room will be 14" wide, 18" long 8" high and most times i listen normal tv listening, but sometimes loud full special effects in action movies....
Rash1 is offline  
post #19 of 102 Old 03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash1 View Post

so many choices, so little budget.. i Wonder how important is listening to speakers before you buy, because its impossible to reproduce same environnement and specs from one store to another..so its a bit difficult to choose ... thanks for the inputs guys... nobody likes the paradigms?

Budget equals compromise. I think when you force a speaker to do too much, it can adversely affect the most important aspect of any speaker - the midrange. I think the bass of any speaker is the weakest link.

So whatever you choose, I think the key is to just set the speakers to small and crossover at 80Hz and let some great subwoofers handle all the mighty bass and allow your main speakers to have the most clarity of midrange as possible.

I think you will be very happy with most speakers recommended here. So focus on other aspects as well and weed out some speakers.

Do you care if your speakers have great measurements? Great aesthetic ? Great reputation? Great price/ bargain?

Some people would not even look at speakers that either don't have any measurements or have bad measurements. They feel it's an important part of the speaker. A lot of people make fun of speakers that have bad measurements or don't have any measurements at all. it may be okay today, but will that slowly bother you over time?

I've heard the Paradigm Studio 100 v3 at a local dealer. I hated the sound of it. But it was not in my own room and setup. They may sound much better in my room and setup.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #20 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Budget equals compromise. I think when you force a speaker to do too much, it can adversely affect the most important aspect of any speaker - the midrange. I think the bass of any speaker is the weakest link.

So whatever you choose, I think the key is to just set the speakers to small and crossover at 80Hz and let some great subwoofers handle all the mighty bass and allow your main speakers to have the most clarity of midrange as possible.

I think you will be very happy with most speakers recommended here. So focus on other aspects as well and weed out some speakers.

Do you care if your speakers have great measurements? Great aesthetic ? Great reputation? Great price/ bargain?

Some people would not even look at speakers that either don't have any measurements or have bad measurements. They feel it's an important part of the speaker. A lot of people make fun of speakers that have bad measurements or don't have any measurements at all. it may be okay today, but will that slowly bother you over time?

I've heard the Paradigm Studio 100 v3 at a local dealer. I hated the sound of it. But it was not in my own room and setup. They may sound much better in my room and setup.

You aren't the only one, brother. I have NEVER heard a Paradigm speaker I liked (I am not counting subs) - and I have heard more than a fair share. In fact, Paradigm & Triad are my least favorite brands but at least Triad has a few models that I think are strong. The Paradigm rep just offered us the line with Anthem as well. Not my thing!
PlexMulti is offline  
post #21 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Senior Member
 
65 Electra Glide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

In fact, Paradigm & Triad are my least favorite brands ...

Even less than Bose?
65 Electra Glide is offline  
post #22 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Electra Glide View Post

Even less than Bose?

Even less than Bose. Although, I don't really think of Bose as a dedicated speaker manufacturer any more. They are more in the business of gadgets to me.

I have heard a Bose speaker I was more impressed with than anything I have ever heard from Paradigm, however. The Bose L1 systems are really nice for small live music performances.
PlexMulti is offline  
post #23 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

You aren't the only one, brother. I have NEVER heard a Paradigm speaker I liked (I am not counting subs) - and I have heard more than a fair share. In fact, Paradigm & Triad are my least favorite brands but at least Triad has a few models that I think are strong. The Paradigm rep just offered us the line with Anthem as well. Not my thing!

Paradigm speakers often have really nice FR measurements; so I assumed my experience with Paradigm was an outlier.

I know a very honest dealer who also hated Paradigm, even the Signature flagship model.

But apparently there are a lot of happy Paradigm owners. So I don't know. biggrin.gif
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #24 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jbrown15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 5,068
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 725
I've had a friends Studio 100v5 in my theater room along with the matching CC-690 center channel and didn't like them at all. Once we started to turn up the volume I wasn't impressed at all and they sounded harsh IMO.

My Gear:

JTR Noesis 228HT (LCR)
Axiom Audio QS8 surrounds
Sherbourn PA 7-350
Pioneer VSX-21TXH
JVC RS45
Falcon Screens FVHD105
Dual PSA XS30's (gone but not forgotten)
jbrown15 is offline  
post #25 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Budget equals compromise. I think when you force a speaker to do too much, it can adversely affect the most important aspect of any speaker - the midrange. I think the bass of any speaker is the weakest link.

So whatever you choose, I think the key is to just set the speakers to small and crossover at 80Hz and let some great subwoofers handle all the mighty bass and allow your main speakers to have the most clarity of midrange as possible.

I think you will be very happy with most speakers recommended here. So focus on other aspects as well and weed out some speakers.

Do you care if your speakers have great measurements? Great aesthetic ? Great reputation? Great price/ bargain?

Some people would not even look at speakers that either don't have any measurements or have bad measurements. They feel it's an important part of the speaker. A lot of people make fun of speakers that have bad measurements or don't have any measurements at all. it may be okay today, but will that slowly bother you over time?

I've heard the Paradigm Studio 100 v3 at a local dealer. I hated the sound of it. But it was not in my own room and setup. They may sound much better in my room and setup.

I disagree with the bold. I don't think I have worked with a customer yet, where the word compromise did not come up. The compromise is often times cost and or room. It does not matter if we are talking about a $5,000 system or a $100,000 system. Most of the time I am working with front projection systems. If using a solid screen, then you are compromising the sound, because the center speaker location has to be below or above the screen. You go with an AT screen to get the speaker locations correct and often times you have to compromise on the screen size if using woven, due to low gain or compromise on sound a little bit due to perf. I bet you can't find a dedicated theater build on AVS that the word compromise did not come up. Lots of time it is compromise due to WAF. I see it all the time.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is offline  
post #26 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

You aren't the only one, brother. I have NEVER heard a Paradigm speaker I liked (I am not counting subs) - and I have heard more than a fair share.

+2

Nethawk is offline  
post #27 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Paradigm speakers often have really nice FR measurements; so I assumed my experience with Paradigm was an outlier.

I know a very honest dealer who also hated Paradigm, even the Signature flagship model.

But apparently there are a lot of happy Paradigm owners. So I don't know. biggrin.gif

I would have to agree with your dealer friend on all counts. The rep tries to position them as a high end brand, but absolutely not - to my ears. Conversations I've had with reps who sell it and who have sold it in the past about Paradigm and what they value in terms of measurements and why strike me as really silly and, obviously, I disagree with them.
PlexMulti is offline  
post #28 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The compromise is often times cost and or room. It does not matter if we are talking about a $5,000 system or a $100,000 system.

$100,000 is a budget.

Does a $5,000,000 system have the same compromise as a $5,000 system?

No.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #29 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

I would have to agree with your dealer friend on all counts. The rep tries to position them as a high end brand, but absolutely not - to my ears. Conversations I've had with reps who sell it and who have sold it in the past about Paradigm and what they value in terms of measurements and why strike me as really silly and, obviously, I disagree with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlexMulti View Post

Even less than Bose. Although, I don't really think of Bose as a dedicated speaker manufacturer any more. They are more in the business of gadgets to me.

I have heard a Bose speaker I was more impressed with than anything I have ever heard from Paradigm, however. The Bose L1 systems are really nice for small live music performances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I've had a friends Studio 100v5 in my theater room along with the matching CC-690 center channel and didn't like them at all. Once we started to turn up the volume I wasn't impressed at all and they sounded harsh IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

+2

Wow, I'm glad I don't own any Paradigm. biggrin.gif

I've heard 2 different Paradigm speakers - 1 at a dealer and 1 at a friend's house. I didn't like either. I guess Paradigm is among the "polarizing" brands like DefTech, B&W, Klipsch, etc.

Some people love them, some people just hate them.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #30 of 102 Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
 
PlexMulti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post




Wow, I'm glad I don't own any Paradigm. biggrin.gif

I've heard 2 different Paradigm speakers - 1 at a dealer and 1 at a friend's house. I didn't like either. I guess Paradigm is among the "polarizing" brands like DefTech, B&W, Klipsch, etc.

Some people love them, some people just hate them.

Oh, with your sickness I figure it's just a matter of time. I've seen your collection of misfit toys. smile.gif

I absolitely agree with them being polarizing. I would never criticize anyone for owning or loving them, however. It is all personal choice.
Nethawk likes this.
PlexMulti is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off