Wharfedale’s Diamond 10.1,Focal chorus 705v or Cambridge Audio S30? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 34 Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonate View Post

Sorry I didn't really mean always - it's a quote from Inception - I hoped the smiley would make it half joking. I might be leaving some prickly sentences in too, so I apologize if that is the case.

In my defense I did say 'based on the reviews I read' so I wasn't trying to make a blanket statement. Those figures weren't my words either, but I felt they served to characterize the 'night and day' difference I vividly perceived, and wanted to defend.
If you say so. I would argue that a company could just have a standard markup based on their cost to produce, and if they happen to come up with something clever that's more than the sum of its parts, you have a 'giant killer'.

I hear ya. I remember when I first got the Pioneer speakers I kept reading tons of reviews about them beating out other speakers in the $500+ range. I thought it was awesome. But after a while I started to realize that all speakers seem to have this sort of following. It wasn't until people started upgrading from the Pioneer setups to something better that the true reviews came out.

It is completely possible for a company to build a speaker for $50 in parts and labor, put it on the market for $100 and realize it could probably sell for more, while keeping the price the same. But, it seems very unlikely to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 03-19-2013, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, for the sheer size and price of the s-30 it produces some great sound. i have heard many speakers in my lifetime that where 2-3 times more in price and size that could not produce as nice of all around sound from its low end to mids to highs it does everything well. again for such a small speaker. have i heard better sound in $400-$500 speakers?yes. for $200-$300 more better? imo,no.just my 2 cents
cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

It is completely possible for a company to build a speaker for $50 in parts and labor, put it on the market for $100 and realize it could probably sell for more, while keeping the price the same. But, it seems very unlikely to me.
When it happens it often ends up being a big win-win: the company gets lots of great press and customer loyalty and makes out on the large volume of sales. Also keep in mind they have to take a gamble on the pricing right out of the gate - once it's on the market they can't change the price much without changing to a new and unknown model which won't necessarily have the momentum of the original.
post #33 of 34 Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

I don't want to be condescending toward anyone but the OP has yet to answer the question about whether he will be using stands, bookshelves or wall mounts? Even with surrounds, whether the speakers are front or rear ported, makes a difference or the sound effect of a thunderclap may end up sounding like a fart!

Also, now that we know you have EMP Tek mains, just why aren't you looking at EMP Tek bookshelf or wall mounts speakers Victor? Seems to me that would be the absolute best choice. Please note that even EMP Teks wall mount speakers are front ported. There is a very good reason for this.

This is just a substitute if I dont like the EMP Tek bookshelf speakers but thank you, you have a point.
post #34 of 34 Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid View Post

Nice.

Just from an aesthetic aspect alone, the Wharfedale 10.1's may match the best.

Have you thought of just picking up a pair of the EMP Tek E5Bi? I haven't heard anything bad about those.

Since these are just rear speakers, and they don't really receive all that much detail to begin with, any of the speakers mentioned would work well for you.

The Wharfedales, focus and CA speakers would be a substitute to the E5Bi if I dont like them. Thank You, You also have a point
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30 , Focal Chorus 836 V

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page