How to wire bookshelf speakers for my computer desk? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, New to bookshelf speakers and amplifier, plan on buying an NAD 326BEE 50W amplifier and bookshelf speakers mainly for my computer desk. I will be making a 2.1 system, already have the subwoofer (SVS PB12 NSD), so I will be getting RCA cords from monoprice for that, but I have no idea what type of connectors are used on bookshelf speakers, or what type of wire to get.

I would be great if anyone could advise^.

I have been looking at getting maybe the PSB Image B6, or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, or maybe NHT classic two?.
Any speaker other than the CBM170 worries me that it will be too harsh when sitting 3 ft away..
Based on the popularity of the CBM-170 SE in nearfield use, it would be a clear choice, but they are 9" wide, and there is only 8 inches or less between the edge of my computer screen and the edge of the desk. So the monitor would overlap in front of the speaker an inch(or two if I got a bigger screen). This might be OK since there is about a 2 inch gap between the driver and the edge of the speaker...

CBM170:

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerGa View Post

I have no idea what type of connectors are used on bookshelf speakers, or what type of wire to get.

I would be great if anyone could advise.

Any of these should do for short lengths:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239

Get 12 or 14 AWG (larger size) so that you could use the rest for long lengths if you ever have to do that, otherwise even 18 AWG (smaller size) should work fine.

As for connectors, unless you plan to swap speakers or amps frequently, I see little or no point in using them. The terminals on these speakers as well as the amps are known as "binding posts," and they make for perfectly suitable connectors on their own. Strip each wire on both ends to expose about 3/8"-1/2" of copper conductor, partially unscrew the binding posts, twist the ends of the wires (making sure to keep things as neat as possible), insert them through the holes on the sides of the binding posts (matching red with red and black with black), and then tighten the posts back down to secure the connection (do not tighten down on the insulation, only the copper conductors).

If you need plugs for some reason, then "banana plugs" are a common type of connector used with home audio speakers. You connect them to the wires in much the same manner as you would with binding posts (usually), and then you plug them into the holes on the ends of the binding posts. Unless you need to unplug and replug frequently, however, it is kind of redundant to use both banana plugs and binding posts, don't you think? I don't currently use banana plugs or similar adapters myself because I don't have to.
Quote:

I have been looking at getting maybe the PSB Image B6, or Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE, or maybe NHT classic two?. Based on the popularity of the CBM-170 SE in nearfield use, it would be a clear choice, but they are 9" wide, and there is only 8 inches or less between the edge of my computer screen and the edge of the desk. So the monitor would overlap in front of the speaker an inch(or two if I got a bigger screen).

Or you could hang the speakers an inch beyond the desk (they won't fall off by themselves, although I suppose that this makes it more likely that they will be bumped accidentally by somebody walking by). wink.gif
post #3 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

So the monitor would overlap in front of the speaker an inch(or two if I got a bigger screen). This might be OK since there is about a 2 inch gap between the driver and the edge of the speaker...

Noooo.... Get a bigger desk or smaller speakers. PSB Imagine mini would be my choice for a desktop setup.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Quote:

So the monitor would overlap in front of the speaker an inch(or two if I got a bigger screen). This might be OK since there is about a 2 inch gap between the driver and the edge of the speaker...

Noooo.... Get a bigger desk or smaller speakers. PSB Imagine mini would be my choice for a desktop setup.

Yeah, that may compromise sound quality, and sticking the speakers out past the edge of the desk would be suboptimal as well for different reasons. The PSB Imagine mini is a good one, but it is so weak on bass, even in the near field--forget the specs, this bass reflex speaker is tuned near 80 Hz (according to its measured impedance curve) and its output drops like a rock below that. Of the speakers mentioned (putting aside the CBM-170 SE due to its size), I'd go with the Classic Two, personally.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Go with a smaller speaker since you said you have a subwoofer. The smaller PSBs would be a good choice paired with your sub (Image B4), or go with the smaller NHTs (Absolute zero)

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I am sitting here listening to the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 amazed. There is a smile on my face!! At first I picked up an NAD 326BEE and PSB Image B5 paired with SVS PB12NSD and I was not impressed. Sound just was not great, and a bit offensive although I am sure they are okay for their intended application
So the Airmotiv just came in and wow they sound great. They are so pleasant to to listen to and the upper detail is insane. Van Halen sounds great and Eddie Van Halen's guitar is alive and detailed. The suttle detail's in George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" by the Berliner Philharmoniker Orchestra are also quite satisfying. These put the life back into music.

Audioholic's review on youtube of the Airmotiv 5 is pretty accurate to this speaker. Lean on bass, but have more bass when placed differently(the lean bass is only slight and not a minus because they sound great). They go surprisingly low for their size.
I am listening to these on my computer desk through an EMU 0404 and have not tried them with the sub.
My SVS sub is huge and I did not look at how big it was when I bought it and to be honest a kind of dumb purchase. I have nowhere to put it, atleast until I get this room cleaned. Right now it's under my L shaped desk to my right and a bit behind me. It would be nice to put a smaller sub under my desk at my feet or something.

When I order the airmotiv 5 I misread the dimensions of the 6, so thinking it was way bigger than it was, I went with the 5. The 6 is 8.4 inches wide and the 5 is 7.1 inches wide. So far the 5 sounds great and they are OK without a sub. Some electronic music could definetely benefit from a sub. So far I am unsure whether to go with the 6 or to stay with the 5, sub or no sub. The little extra bass from the 6 is definitely attractive. The left one would overhang the desk an inch or so. I feel like it is worth it
post #7 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I would probably keep the 5's and add a sub. Next thing would be to isolate the 5's from the desk to keep the vibrations down. That would also elevate them to the correct level and you could toe them a little bit for better imaging.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page