post #421 of 447 Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
What we need Axiom to make is in ceiling speakers with positional adjustments so we can point them to the listener location. Would be PERFECT for atmos then!
They did. For Bryston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 447 Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I can't see me going with the proper Atmos setup because I'm not about to rip apart a perfectly good ceiling. Perhaps the reflecting type might be in the cards in the distant future if/once they've been proven to be viable.

BTW, I watched Eric Clapton/Steve Winwood 'Live in Madison Square Garden' Blu Ray for the first time with my pair of EP-800s in the mix. Really tight, quality bass from a superbly recorded concert...

TAM
post #423 of 447 Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

I want subs so good I feel the brrrrrp of anti aircraft guns.
Or feel the water win as the plane slams into the ocean in Cast away.
Or feel the creaking steel reverberations as the sub in U-571 dives to the bottom.
Maybe the percussion from a synchronized gun shot by an honour guard.

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-13-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #424 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
They did. For Bryston.
Do you have a link to them? I could not find them on the Bryston web site.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #425 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you have a link to them? I could not find them on the Bryston web site.

I don’t think they've been released yet.

"Q4 2014"

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bryston-introduces-ciw-architectural-loudspeaker/

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-13-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #426 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 01:00 PM

I'm looking forward, admittedly with some trepidation due to the warnings, to experiencing 'Edge of Tomorrow', ha!

TAM
post #427 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
I don’t think they've been released yet.

"Q4 2014"

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...l-loudspeaker/
The speakers cannot have their angle changed to point towards the listener's position. From what I read, these are downward firing only. Something along the lines of the Niles DS7FX with its "Fully Pivoting Woofer Assembly Focuses The Bass And Midrange Directly Into The Listening Area". That way I can put the speaker in the Top Front position and point it towards the seats which are at the back of the room.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #428 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The speakers cannot have their angle changed to point towards the listener's position. From what I read, these are downward firing only. Something along the lines of the Niles DS7FX with its "Fully Pivoting Woofer Assembly Focuses The Bass And Midrange Directly Into The Listening Area". That way I can put the speaker in the Top Front position and point it towards the seats which are at the back of the room.
I'm not entirely convinced that aiming the woofer from in-ceilings at the MLP is the best idea. Surrounds yes, Atmos I'm not so sure.
Objects with xyz coordinates couldn't be mixed with unpredictable speaker orientations.

These do have aim able tweeters just in case.

They should match my current set up beautifully, my minds made up.

Last edited by brwsaw; 10-13-2014 at 03:44 PM.
post #429 of 447 Old 10-13-2014, 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info...but I am going to keep looking for speakers that can send the sound to where I am, instead of where I am not. All other speakers are pointed towards the listeners, it would be odd to suddenly stop doing it.

post #430 of 447 Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Who are using M3 in ceiling speakers for atmos ? How do they sound ?
post #431 of 447 Old 10-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I currently have QS8 for my rear surround and m2 for my side surround. Should I replace the qs8 with another pair of M2 for atmos ?
post #432 of 447 Old 10-29-2014, 10:33 AM

HT:

You might want to bring up your questions in the Axiom company forum. From what I've seen, not many have jumped into Atmos yet so there is not much out there to discuss yet.

I would think that your QS8s should remain as your surrounds as they are normally excellent in that role. Atmos M3s would be add ons in the ceiling - something that I'm not going to do due to the way that my room is finished. Furthermore, while I can see Atmos possibly working well in a big theater, I'm a bit skeptical wrt to Atmos implementation in smaller venue like a HT. From what I've read, effects are mostly subtle at best & for me would not be worth the effort & expense...

TAM
post #433 of 447 Old 10-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Depends on the movie. The Dolby Upmixer (which gives Atmos like effects to non Atmos movies) has made a big improvement to many movies, according to the Atmos thread.

post #434 of 447 Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
My 4 in ceiling M3s are installed. Just waiting on carpet before I start to test my 7.2.4 setup. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
htpcforever likes this.
post #435 of 447 Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Teaser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1415744869683.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	362313  
post #436 of 447 Old 11-19-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

I finally got a chance to test these. For stereo sound, obviously, they aren't s great choice for 2.0 listening. As a non- ported speaker, with a much smaller cabinet than the full blown M3 they are a bit thin sounding. They would be great in a 2.1 setting though. Very clear and crisp. Great imaging, which should serve me well for Atmos. My AVR (Marantz 7009) set the crossover for these at 100, my on wall M3s were set to 60 by Audessey.

I haven't had a full blown Atmos movie yet, but the Atmos demo disc and using Dolby Surround (Desolation of Smaug, at the end in the mountain with all the falling coins and running from Smaug) has been nothing short of impressive. I also recommend the bonus short from the Frozen 3D blu ray. Mickey flies a plane around the room and it's just crazy.

These sound seamless with my other Axiom speakers. I wouldn't use them as LCR but wouldn't hesitate to use them as surrounds or tops. With door and stud placement in my room I couldn't use them as surrounds- thus the on wall M3s.
post #437 of 447 Old 11-19-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Thanks for the update. I have been very hesitant to jump on these with such little info on them for Atmos. Still am really.
post #438 of 447 Old 11-19-2014, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
Thanks for the update. I have been very hesitant to jump on these with such little info on them for Atmos. Still am really.
I can appreciate that. I was building from scratch- had to use something. At the end of the day they are surrounds- used for effects and background. The bulk of the sound and dialogue are still coming from LCR. They image well (pointed straight down but within spec- per Dolby white paper) which I think is probably most important since Atmos is trying to place things in 3D. They sound great off axis.

If I had to do over- I went with M3s all around trying to maintain the same drivers- with the decreased bass response of the ceiling speakers I wonder if the M2s would have been a better match sonically. Axiom needs to publish the response curve of these bad boys.

My second set of ceiling speakers also came with tandem banana plugs to make install easier. It was a bit hairy holding a heavy speaker I one hand and wiring the posts with the other. I appreciate the extra touch. They also come with Axiom labels to stick on- but I left them off.
post #439 of 447 Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM

I received a $250 off any purchase of $500 coupon from Axiom Audio due to buying so many speakers from them. Thing is, a set of two in ceiling M3s cost $498. So what did I do? I purchased a $3.50 RCA adapter and BAM, my order was suddenly over $500...which means I was able to buy two of these speakers for barely over $250. SOLD!

I am preparing for ATMOS and these will blend nicely with all my other Axiom surrounds.

post #440 of 447 Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Its a great offer, I'll have to pass this year.

I'm pretty content at the moment so its all good.
post #441 of 447 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I received a $250 off any purchase of $500 coupon from Axiom Audio due to buying so many speakers from them. Thing is, a set of two in ceiling M3s cost $498. So what did I do? I purchased a $3.50 RCA adapter and BAM, my order was suddenly over $500...which means I was able to buy two of these speakers for barely over $250. SOLD!

I am preparing for ATMOS and these will blend nicely with all my other Axiom surrounds.
I would jump on that deal ASAP. Let us know what how you find the M3's for Atmos.
I never got any card and I just bought 4 speakers from them in the last 3 weeks. They don't love me.
post #442 of 447 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

I will not have an atmos receiver for a while, but I am preparing for it ahead of time.

post #443 of 447 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
I would jump on that deal ASAP. Let us know what how you find the M3's for Atmos.
I never got any card and I just bought 4 speakers from them in the last 3 weeks. They don't love me.
I wonder if they're transferable. I can't use mine...
post #444 of 447 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

I bet you can transfer it easily enough. Also, you can use it more than once, though I am not sure they intended it to be that way. I purchased the in ceilings like I said, then I decided to see if I could buy some M3 on walls to replace some M2s I have (which will then replace some M0s I have) and I was able to use it a second time. Yes, I did do a happy dance - a thousand dollars worth of speakers for only five hundred dollars!

post #445 of 447 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 808
My pair of M3 speakers I got for my Front Heights work very well with my SVS speakers. I mainly got the Axioms because of the wall mout brackets Axiom has for them. But they have worked out great since mounting them an running the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 setup.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #446 of 447 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

I've bought 13 speakers from them since August. no love on the email coupon. But I'm done anyways. For now.
post #447 of 447 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
GTZ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here's the e-mail I got. It states in the last paragraph you can gift it to a 'friend'. Judging from the look I got from dear wife it looks like I won't be using it so 'new friend' feel free to use the code I got.

"Countdown to the Holidays: $250 Ways To Thank You!

$250 Gift Certificate
The holidays are coming and we'd like to take a moment at this special time of year to thank you for being an Axiom Customer. From now until December 1st, take $250 off your order of $500 or more on any of our speakers or amplifiers.

Your Custom Gift Card Code: Edit: XXXXXXXX

Use this code at checkout to receive your instant discount of $250! Why not treat yourself now to that new Axiom speaker or amplifier that you’ve been dreaming of, or indulge in a custom real wood finish, guilt-free.

Spend the card yourself or gift it to a friend, but remember, the countdown is on - cards must be used by midnight December 1st, 2014. Not valid for Refurb store, B-stock, Factory Outlet or Trade-Up purchases. You deserve the very best this holiday!

With our thanks,

Ian Colquhoun
President,
Axiom Audio"

Edit: Code given to newfmp3.

Last edited by GTZ; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page