post #451 of 455 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post
I have 2 audio only systems, one with M2s & one with M3s on Axiom stands, both in the same large room.

I always recommend M2s with a sub or two. I have a pair of M2s plus 2 X EP400s that are driven by a tube amp & SACD Player. This setup is absolutely magical for music reproduction.

My M3 system is driven by a SS Receiver & CD Player. For most music, the M3s do not need a sub IMO. Sounds great but not as good as the M2/subs system because a quality sub's superior low end is almost unbeatable.

FWIW...

TAM
Have you ever swapped the M2 and M3's? curious to know what if any difference would be heard with subs in the mix.

It's snow good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 455 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post
I have 2 audio only systems, one with M2s & one with M3s on Axiom stands, both in the same large room.

I always recommend M2s with a sub or two. I have a pair of M2s plus 2 X EP400s that are driven by a tube amp & SACD Player. This setup is absolutely magical for music reproduction.

My M3 system is driven by a SS Receiver & CD Player. For most music, the M3s do not need a sub IMO. Sounds great but not as good as the M2/subs system because a quality sub's superior low end is almost unbeatable.

FWIW...

TAM
The M3s do not need a sub, you are correct, but IMO every speaker setup can benefit from a sub or two. I use two subs in my setup and still prefer the M3 over the M2 by quite a bit.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #453 of 455 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No, I've never swapped bookshelf speakers between systems. I listen to a system for an hour or two every day & then switch to the other one each day so I'm very familiar with the differences in sound signatures.

My M2s/EP400s are placed in a window alcove parallel to my listening couch about 10' apart & 11' in front. The M3s are mainly for an ambiance (party?) system & are placed about 25' apart diagonally in opposite corners - certainly not textbook. My M3s needed to be tweaked before they sounded really good. Because of the corner placement, bass reinforcement was excessive causing me to EQ the bass way down (other brands of speakers did the same thing there), but it still wasn't right. So I tried plugging the rear ports, returned to a flat EQ to & voila, all unnatural reinforcement & muddiness were gone. Great sound now.

Because the EP400s are powerful & accurate with 8" drivers & the way that the M2s roll off naturally below 70 Hz, I think that the M2s are a better match to the subs for music. I guess that what I'm trying to say IMO, is the driver complement of the M2/EP400s' - 1" tweeter, 5.25" woofer & 8" woofer - is probably more pleasing & easier to tweak than a M3/EP400 complement of - 1" tweeter, 6.5" woofer & 8" woofer.

Then again, maybe I'm full of it, ha!

TAM
post #454 of 455 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
htpc:

I find that without subs, the M2s sound more accurate (best for music IMO) than the M3 due to the absence of the gentle bass rise that is built into the M3 FR around 120Hz. That characteristic gives more apparent bass response so that a sub is normally not needed for most music. The M2 FR is dead flat in that region.

Of course rooms & speaker interaction with them tend to thwart all of the attempts of the designer/manufacturer to achieve the ideal FR. Everyone has their own preferences in what sounds best to them. Each to his own I always say & it all contributes to great discussions here...

TAM
post #455 of 455 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
If anyone is ever on the fence trying to decide between the onwall M2 and M3 speakers, get the M3 speakers. They are MUCH MUCH better than the M2s. I just replaced two M2s with M3s and the difference is noticeable. A better sound, deeper and fuller. Should not be a surprise, due to the specs of both, but still.
Interesting although not shocking. I have two on wall m2's coming to be used in a small 5.1 setup as surrounds. I thought the on wall M3's would be overkill for surround duty. I have M22's on walls up front. Room is small at 12x14.

The bookshelf M3's I got are nice indeed, and exlab and I have discussed this over on the Axiom forums, but for me, they could use a sub. This relies completely on what type of music you are into of course and for us that is pop, rock, top 40 type stuff that does have quite a bit of bass. In the right room, and with the right music, yeah, they could get away with no sub, even more so if there are four of them.....which I intend to try but I am running out of money.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page