post #451 of 478 Old 11-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post
I have 2 audio only systems, one with M2s & one with M3s on Axiom stands, both in the same large room.

I always recommend M2s with a sub or two. I have a pair of M2s plus 2 X EP400s that are driven by a tube amp & SACD Player. This setup is absolutely magical for music reproduction.

My M3 system is driven by a SS Receiver & CD Player. For most music, the M3s do not need a sub IMO. Sounds great but not as good as the M2/subs system because a quality sub's superior low end is almost unbeatable.

FWIW...

TAM
Have you ever swapped the M2 and M3's? curious to know what if any difference would be heard with subs in the mix.

1st world problems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 478 Old 11-25-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post
I have 2 audio only systems, one with M2s & one with M3s on Axiom stands, both in the same large room.

I always recommend M2s with a sub or two. I have a pair of M2s plus 2 X EP400s that are driven by a tube amp & SACD Player. This setup is absolutely magical for music reproduction.

My M3 system is driven by a SS Receiver & CD Player. For most music, the M3s do not need a sub IMO. Sounds great but not as good as the M2/subs system because a quality sub's superior low end is almost unbeatable.

FWIW...

TAM
The M3s do not need a sub, you are correct, but IMO every speaker setup can benefit from a sub or two. I use two subs in my setup and still prefer the M3 over the M2 by quite a bit.

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #453 of 478 Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No, I've never swapped bookshelf speakers between systems. I listen to a system for an hour or two every day & then switch to the other one each day so I'm very familiar with the differences in sound signatures.

My M2s/EP400s are placed in a window alcove parallel to my listening couch about 10' apart & 11' in front. The M3s are mainly for an ambiance (party?) system & are placed about 25' apart diagonally in opposite corners - certainly not textbook. My M3s needed to be tweaked before they sounded really good. Because of the corner placement, bass reinforcement was excessive causing me to EQ the bass way down (other brands of speakers did the same thing there), but it still wasn't right. So I tried plugging the rear ports, returned to a flat EQ to & voila, all unnatural reinforcement & muddiness were gone. Great sound now.

Because the EP400s are powerful & accurate with 8" drivers & the way that the M2s roll off naturally below 70 Hz, I think that the M2s are a better match to the subs for music. I guess that what I'm trying to say IMO, is the driver complement of the M2/EP400s' - 1" tweeter, 5.25" woofer & 8" woofer - is probably more pleasing & easier to tweak than a M3/EP400 complement of - 1" tweeter, 6.5" woofer & 8" woofer.

Then again, maybe I'm full of it, ha!

TAM
post #454 of 478 Old 11-25-2014, 04:15 PM

htpc:

I find that without subs, the M2s sound more accurate (best for music IMO) than the M3 due to the absence of the gentle bass rise that is built into the M3 FR around 120Hz. That characteristic gives more apparent bass response so that a sub is normally not needed for most music. The M2 FR is dead flat in that region.

Of course rooms & speaker interaction with them tend to thwart all of the attempts of the designer/manufacturer to achieve the ideal FR. Everyone has their own preferences in what sounds best to them. Each to his own I always say & it all contributes to great discussions here...

TAM
post #455 of 478 Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcforever View Post
If anyone is ever on the fence trying to decide between the onwall M2 and M3 speakers, get the M3 speakers. They are MUCH MUCH better than the M2s. I just replaced two M2s with M3s and the difference is noticeable. A better sound, deeper and fuller. Should not be a surprise, due to the specs of both, but still.
Interesting although not shocking. I have two on wall m2's coming to be used in a small 5.1 setup as surrounds. I thought the on wall M3's would be overkill for surround duty. I have M22's on walls up front. Room is small at 12x14.

The bookshelf M3's I got are nice indeed, and exlab and I have discussed this over on the Axiom forums, but for me, they could use a sub. This relies completely on what type of music you are into of course and for us that is pop, rock, top 40 type stuff that does have quite a bit of bass. In the right room, and with the right music, yeah, they could get away with no sub, even more so if there are four of them.....which I intend to try but I am running out of money.
post #456 of 478 Old 11-26-2014, 08:23 AM

The beauty of all this is that everyone can setup their system as they like...there really is no right and wrong here. GROUP HUG! heh

Non-standard RAIDs can recover deleted files. Anyone who says RAID protection is only for failed drives is lying.
post #457 of 478 Old 11-26-2014, 08:49 AM

One of my M3 Onwalls came DOA. I verified it by swapping it with the other one, yep, dead on arrival. I left a message for Axiom this morning with my name, number, and issue and they just called me back. They are shipping a replacement out and emailing me a shipping label for the return shipment - no cost to me at all. I was expecting to have to argue with them about that (so many online sales sites refuse to pay for shipping when an item is DOA), but did not have to at all! They even knew who I was since I used the phone number I registered with them.

I am happy with the customer service. Crap happens, it is out of anyone's control at times. It is what they do when the crap happens that matters and they did wonderfully!

post #458 of 478 Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One of my M3 Onwalls came DOA. I verified it by swapping it with the other one, yep, dead on arrival. I left a message for Axiom this morning with my name, number, and issue and they just called me back. They are shipping a replacement out and emailing me a shipping label for the return shipment - no cost to me at all. I was expecting to have to argue with them about that (so many online sales sites refuse to pay for shipping when an item is DOA), but did not have to at all! They even knew who I was since I used the phone number I registered with them.

I am happy with the customer service. Crap happens, it is out of anyone's control at times. It is what they do when the crap happens that matters and they did wonderfully!
What do you think caused it (the DOA)?

1st world problems...
post #459 of 478 Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Bad luck. Judging from the poor state of some of my Axiom cartons lately, there seems to be a lot of abuse in the shipping process these days. Perhaps a wire inside was dislodged.

Axiom's Customer Service is & has always been top notch, which is really important especially with ID sales. That's one of the reasons that I've stuck with them since the early 1990s...

TAM
post #460 of 478 Old 11-27-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

received this today...

'Tis the season to save . . . and from Wednesday,November 26th until Monday, December 1st, we want to give you something todream about as you sit around in a turkey-induced coma . . . Any purchases youmake over $2,000 between now and Monday December 1, 2014 will entitle you to anAxiom Gift Card in the amount of 20% of your purchase. Purchases over$6,000 will receive an Axiom Gift Card in the amount of 25% of your purchase!Your Gift Card can be given as a gift from you . . . or be another gift for you- it's your choice! The Gift Cards are valid starting December 25, 2014 untilJune 30, 2015.

Use code THANKSGIVING at checkout to take advantage of thisoffer.
post #461 of 478 Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwsaw View Post
What do you think caused it (the DOA)?
The carton was not in too bad a shape, the one corner was mushed in some...possibly it was just the exact right smack to bust something loose. I almost removed the speakers to take a look for myself, but would rather Axiom just send me a new one.

post #462 of 478 Old 11-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm kind of a tinkerer, I'd be inclined to open it ad take a look- with Axiom's blessing of course. It's gotta be a loose wire at the back panel if no sound at all.
post #463 of 478 Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 PM

I did decide to remove the tweeter and look - no loose wires. I suspect the circuit board that is right behind the tweeter is bad.

Also, does anyone know how to remove the grills on the M3 in ceiling speakers? Is there a painting guide somewhere for it as well? There is a portion of the case that will be on the people side of the wall and it is white - I need it black. Easy to spray paint the grill once I can figure out how to remove it...but how do you paint that flange portion of the speaker? Spray paint will coat the speakers inside...so I suppose I will have to cover them with something.

EDIT: I used a mini pry tool to hook into the little holes on the side of the grill and was able to slowly pry it free. Those are some magnets!!! I am going to see if I can spray onto a brush and paint the flange portion...I am not confident I will be able to cut out a circle that perfectly covers the speaker to allow me to spray paint it.

Last edited by htpcforever; 12-01-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #464 of 478 Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

I had to use a push pin to remove the grill. The magnets are ridiculously strong- but the grill will never fall out either.

I painted mine with an airbrush. Pulled out the grill. Lined the back with painters tape, left some tabs for easy removal. Sprayed the enclosures first. Then all the grills front and back separately. The tape inside the grill protected the drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1417467604410.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	395730   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1417467617759.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	395738   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1417467635301.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	395746  
post #465 of 478 Old 12-01-2014, 02:40 PM

That is a good idea. Apparently there are videos on installation and grill removal at the bottom of the specs tab...would never have looked there:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/erp/manuals?product=T3IC

They say to use a paper clip to remove the grill. I decided to test out my kindergarten skills; I traced the grill onto the top of a pizza box and cut out two cardboard circles. They fit perfectly. Your solution sounds simpler, though.

post #466 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I wanted to give an update...I have yet to even receive the shipping info from Axiom for the new speaker they were supposed to cross ship me. I have already sent the bad one back and they should get it any day now. So while I initially thought the customer service was good, I am now left feeling like it is not. They were able to send me the ones I purchased almost immediately...but this is taking forever!

I already called them once about it...will have to make another call...sigh...

post #467 of 478 Old 12-04-2014, 04:02 PM

I finally received the shipping info for my replacement speaker. While they claim the new speaker was going to be cross shipped, I find that to be suspect since they did not prepare my new speaker for shipment (according to FedEx) until after they signed for receipt of my failed speaker (time stamped by UPS).

Regardless, it is now on its way...just left a slightly sour note on what would have otherwise been outstanding customer service.

post #468 of 478 Old 12-04-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

The order I placed on Sunday did not ship until yesterday either. I am thinking that they had a lot of orders put through with two coupon and discount codes both expiring on Dec 1.

I did receive my on walls. So I'm just waiting for the vp 150 on wall to complete the m22/m2 set. Using a Polk center for now. I gotta say I'm really impressed with them. Being my first on wall set I did not know what to expect or how much I was giving up compared to Bookshelves. With a SB -2000 sub, I'm all set.

Once again, thanks to GTZ for helping me out.
post #469 of 478 Old 12-04-2014, 08:27 PM

I just got shipping confirmation on a set of FMS-16 Speaker Stands that I ordered on the weekend to go with my already ordered M22V4s.

Still waiting for shipping notice on my M22V4s in High Gloss Rosewood that I'm getting to go better with my HG Rosewood EP800V3s. It's been a couple of weeks but I suspect that they are in the paint booth getting their 12 coats of clear lacquer. I've been in that particular paint booth & it is most interesting to watch the cabinet finisher at work - very skillful indeed.

It takes about month to complete High Gloss finishes so it is doubtful if they will make it out here for Xmas, sniff!!...

TAM
post #470 of 478 Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Post some pictures when its done. Some of Axioms Real Wood finishes are very impressive. I can only dream...
post #471 of 478 Old 12-05-2014, 11:38 AM

If one is not in a hurry & with prudent shopping, really good deals can be had. I snagged my Rosewood EP800s at less than half price from the Refurb Store & took advantage of Axiom's generous Trade Up Program to upgrade my standard black finished M22s to the latest V4 version in a premium finish...

TAM
post #472 of 478 Old 12-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Their trade up program is very good....as an aside, do you pay to return the old ones to them or do they pay for it?

post #473 of 478 Old 12-05-2014, 04:46 PM

Customer pays; however, if you choose, Axiom will email to you 'return shipping labels' at their special corporate rate that is way less than what an individual would pay - $15 per carton in the case of the M22s.

If you don't have your original cartons (I did), they will send you some empty ones but I don't know what the cost would be. It pays to keep your original cartons although it can be a PITA to store them.

I've Traded Up 3 times now & it is really quite painless. Way easier than trying to flog them on ebay or whatever...

TAM
post #474 of 478 Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

I really got a good deal with my trade up, so good I've been hesitant to state how good.
post #475 of 478 Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM

Just to complete my talk about the replacement speaker for the DOA one, it arrived today. I installed it and it works perfectly. One of the things I love about the on-walls is just how EASY they are to install. I kept the box for a future trade up.

post #476 of 478 Old 12-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

I do like the mount. Very clean and easy.
post #477 of 478 Old Today, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm thinking about getting some Axioms VP180 center, M80 mains and 4 M3 surrounds. Except for the M3s, the other speakers are rated at ohms. I have a Pioneer SC1227 (basically the same as the Elite SC-61), which is rated from 4 to 8 ohms. Would this receiver be a good match for the Axioms or should I look at a separate amp?
post #478 of 478 Old Today, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardb View Post
I'm thinking about getting some Axioms VP180 center, M80 mains and 4 M3 surrounds. Except for the M3s, the other speakers are rated at ohms. I have a Pioneer SC1227 (basically the same as the Elite SC-61), which is rated from 4 to 8 ohms. Would this receiver be a good match for the Axioms or should I look at a separate amp?
I will probably be fine if you're using it in a average size room and sit with-in 15' of the speakers. This assumes you like your hearing and that you don't blast tunes at retarded levels from across the house. The M80 can play clean at ridiculous levels, they don't really sound too loud until you get distortion from the content or lack of power.

An amp is worth considering if you like to party and or give the remote to drunk girls who are used to hearing distortion to gauge volume. My $0.02.

1st world problems...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page