New Official Axiom Audio Speaker Owners Thread - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #511 of 532 Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hi Nick,
I have a pair of Axiom M80's and I really like them. I have had them since 2003 or so.

I also have an older Pioneer VSX-1015, (2003-2004 or so) and I only have 5 speakers, so I used that "passive Bi-AMP" feature that you are referring to.

Without Bi-Amping, I noticed no issues running the M80's, in a 5 channel configuration.

While I have been using that feature for years, since I first "turned on" the passive bi-amp, I have read many posts stating that it has almost no effect on the sound.

If you search for bi amping here on AVS forums (maybe use google, "bi-amp" is a tough one to search!), you will have hours of reading.

I kept my "passive bi-amp" on, but to my ear, I did not hear any difference between the "before" and "after" sound.

Also, if you are considering the Monoprice Monolith amp, from all I have read, that is a beast of an amplifier, there would be no need to bi-amp it.

BUT, if you have the extra channels, go ahead and use it.

While I have read that passive bi-amping does not help, I have also not read any posts that say it hurts, so try it out for yourself.

Also, check out the outlaw 7700 amp, it is on sale for 1599, and is the same basic amp as the monolith, with some slightly better components (capacitors, or something like that), but also has Balanced and Unbalanced imputs.

UPDATE - just checked the web site, the 7700 is not listed as on sale any more.

Also, there are people that have used Crown amps, as their HT amplifier. Do not know the specifics, but supposedly the Crown XLS DriveCore Series 2 1502 is the "sweet spot" of price vs performance:
http://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/xls-1502
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 532 Old 06-02-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Budd,

Great to see a fellow Texan Axiom owner here - I'm in Austin myself. Hopefully you're above water over there - Even as of May 27th before the last round of storms, May was easily the wettest month in Texas history, according to our state climatologist. I was actually on the news Monday after getting kicked off Lake Austin due to flood gates opening from Mansfield Dam, and it turns out the girl who tragically passed away in the Barton Springs drowning that day was a musician friend of mine. Scary stuff.

Anyhow, I really appreciate your feedback. I'll admit, though dozens if not hundreds of critical reviews can't be wrong, it's a bit underwhelming unpacking the M80HP's knowing my Polk Monitor 70's were ~20% the Axioms' cost and have served me incredibly well for 5-6 years... Fingers are crossed my ears are up to the task of appreciating them!

Although I'd never AB'd my existing setup in bi-amp vs. regular mode, the Monolith regardless should be a valuable upgrade, and one I was considering before I'd even realized something as nice and yet affordable as the Monolith (or yes, the Outlaw 7700 on sale - I have one of their LFM+ subs in my master bedroom) was an option. And holy smokes, that Crown you mentioned is certainly a beast in its own right! But it's certainly an amp for pro sound applications, thus I'm not sure I could get past the active vs. passive cooling, the lack of 12V trigger, ~20dB lower SNR vs. the Monolith, etc. I do quite a bit of critical listening and production of high-dynamics, non-compressed music (orchestral, choral, and wind band), so SNR and noise floor especially are important to me... But an extra kilobuck important?!? ...you certainly have me reconsidering the Monolith!

Stay dry this morning!
-Nick

Last edited by Leander311; 06-02-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #513 of 532 Old 06-02-2016, 08:02 AM

My house has never flooded, but two co-workers have had their house flooded this year, and that is not fun. Thanks for the concern, you stay dry too, VERY SORRY for the loss of your friend.

OMG, killed because of rain. The agony.

Before I bought my Axiom system, I had purchased 4 Polk R50's and a Pinnacle center channel.

I gave that system to my Dad, as part of a "home theater" gift. I also gave him my Pioneer VSX-1014 receiver, and the 1014 and 1015's were considered "internet darlings" at the time.

I bought the Polk's from Fry's when they would go on sale, for like 129.99 a pair or something like that. (it was 12-14 years ago!)

The My M80's were much better than my R50's, but the Polk R50's were not bad.

I am guessing that the R50's were designed to "look impressive", but cost as little as possible to create. However, my Dad and his wife use the system every day, and the 5 speakers are still going strong.

I wish I would have kept the Pinnacle center channel, or bought another one, it sounded very good, and was a WMTMW or something like that.

I am in the process of upgrading my speakers, and will probably sell my VP150 and 2 QS8's. I will see how much Axiom will give me for a trade in, I will get a pair of M3's.

I do not know what to do with the M80's. Do not really want to sell or trade them, but will have no need for them. Too bad I cannot use a floor standing speaker as an ATMOS speaker.

Maybe it will go in the spare bedroom, right next to my 58 inch 720p Panasonic Plasma, that is covered with a blanket, and looks like a "foot board" for the guest bed!
post #514 of 532 Old 07-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Axiom owner here as well. Still using my ti version from 2004 with my rotel gear and has been flawless. Looking for another EP500 V2 so I have 2 of same subs (same version) but its hard finding used axioms anywhere.

Living room theater
Axiom M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
Rotel 1075 Amp & Rotel 1068 Processor
Monster power conditioner
post #515 of 532 Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddTX View Post

I am in the process of upgrading my speakers, and will probably sell my VP150 and 2 QS8's. I will see how much Axiom will give me for a trade in, I will get a pair of M3's.

I do not know what to do with the M80's. Do not really want to sell or trade them, but will have no need for them. Too bad I cannot use a floor standing speaker as an ATMOS speaker.
Which version/color are the QS8s and how much are you selling them for? You could always keep your M80s for 2 channel stereo or put them in another room?

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #516 of 532 Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Which version/color are the QS8s and how much are you selling them for?
Let me first see what Axiom will give me for a trade in value. I would have an application for a pair of M3's.

Quote:
You could always keep your M80s for 2 channel stereo or put them in another room?
My M80's have been very good to me for almost 15 years. They may become my rear speakers!
post #517 of 532 Old 07-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Let me first see what Axiom will give me for a trade in value. I would have an application for a pair of M3's.
No problem. What version are they? You have pics of it? You can also just enter your serial numbers into axioms website and it gives you the trade in value.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #518 of 532 Old 07-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
No problem. What version are they? You have pics of it? You can also just enter your serial numbers into axioms website and it gives you the trade in value.
I think they are V2.

This is the exact color of the veneer and grill, except the picture is a Qs4, I have a QS8

Last edited by BuddTX; 07-07-2016 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Changed AS8 to QS8 (Spelling error)
post #519 of 532 Old 07-07-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
I think they are V2.

This is the exact color of the veneer and grill, except the picture is a Qs4, I have a AS8
Most of the V2 have a white and black woofer I believe. They switched to the all white woofer in version 3 but some of the later version 2's got upgraded with it.
post #520 of 532 Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Just ordered QS8s in Version 2 from Axiom refurb store for great low price! And they had black oak to match my ti versions and uses same woofers, etc. Can't wait! Will post pics soon!

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #521 of 532 Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

QS8 V2 just arrived! Axiom do not stock T brackets anymore that came originally with V2 series. Now they have 2 seperate metal brackets (see picture) just like what is on back of speaker. Same as t bracket but without middle piece. I realized you can't put both brackets on studs since studs are 16 inches apart so what are my options? Wall anchors? Maybe 1/4 inch solid wood 10 inches long and mount metal brackets on that and then use middle of wood to mount to stud? T brackets would make things easier for sure, just looking at my options since I still want it to look almost flushed mounted since it will be in living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_141408.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	1558225  

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #522 of 532 Old 07-21-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Here you can see my 3.1 current setup in living room. This will be 5.1 setup only. The QS8s I planned were gonna be mounted on rear wall where couch is. Notice there is only one side wall since its an open floor plan. Wall behind couch is 10 feet wide so should I mount them at ends of the wall where they will be 9 feet apart? I was planning on mounting them 60 inches off the floor so the tweeter is 2 feet higher than my ears. While sitting on couch the ears are 26 inches from the back wall. So 7 to 9 feet apart and 60 inches from the floor is good idea?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160102_201223.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1558241   Click image for larger version

Name:	07.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	1558249   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1558257  

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #523 of 532 Old 07-21-2016, 02:35 PM

I used the FULL METAL BRACKET from Axiom.

See that one screw above the speaker wire connectors, kind of in the middle? That is the screw that the bracket attaches to.

The Full Metal Brackets from Axiom work great, but are a tad expensive. Look at the TV mounts at monoprice. (Yes, I said TV mounts, and not Speaker mounts).

You might have to McGyver something, but I bet you could use those existing bracket screws and put a piece of wood on the screws, or use VESA mounts (if they line up with the screws). OR, use a thick piece of wood and the existing screws, and use the VESA holes on the bracket, and drill holes in the thick piece of wood.

Those Monoprice TV mounts fit on one stud.

post #524 of 532 Old 07-21-2016, 02:47 PM

Also, you might want to play with the QS8 speaker position before you commit to drilling (unless you are ok with multiple drill holes in the wall).

Putting them at "ear height" and "sweet spot position" may or may not be the best location for these speakers, because they are shooting up and down, and back and front.

It took me several tries before I found an acceptable position.

I would play with the location for a good while until you are happy with the end result!

As I mentioned previously, the QS8's don't work well in my environment, so I am in the process of replacing them with standard bookshelf speakers.

(Well, "standard" might be an understatement, they are Dennis Murphy designed 2 way Philharmonitors, and Jim Salk built cabinets and upgraded capacitors, , so they are just a "tad" above standard! (It is a "life time" purchase, the last speakers I will buy!)

Enjoy, the QS8's are great speakers for what they do!
post #525 of 532 Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

I ended up ordering the full metal bracket. Little expensive but would make install much easier and can use it on other speakers in future. How much tilt/swivel you get with these? They can also not be tilted and be flat like the wall correct?

Speaking of McGyver they are bringing the tv show back! Looks like young McGyver or maybe his son?

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #526 of 532 Old 07-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
(Well, "standard" might be an understatement, they are Dennis Murphy designed 2 way Philharmonitors, and Jim Salk built cabinets and upgraded capacitors, , so they are just a "tad" above standard! (It is a "life time" purchase, the last speakers I will buy!)

Enjoy, the QS8's are great speakers for what they do!
You sure it will be the last speakers you own??? Thats what they all said! LOL Let us know how the phils compares with your M80s for 2.0 music and give us feedback.

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #527 of 532 Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Well, I bought my 5 Axiom speakers in 2003 or so, and my Receiver that I just retired, is from around 2003, so, if not "last speaker purchase", it will definitely last for a while!

I am (most probably) going to use a set of Polk 5jr+ speakers as the "rear presence" speakers, and I bought those in 1985 or so. Back when Matthew Polk owned the company, and Polk was a "boutique" speaker company!

Interesting side story, I originally bought those Polk's for my parents, in the late 80's. When I moved into my house in 1993, I wanted to buy another set of those Polk's, and Polk had started selling more expensive speakers, and the current polk speaker in the same price bracket as the 5jr+ just did not sound nearly as good as the 5jr+.s. My thoughts at the time, were that, now that Polk was selling "better" (read - more expensive) speakers, they did not want to sell cheaper speakers that sounded great!

When the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers first came out, I went crazy buying several of them, when they went on sale. (I got some crazy good prices on them, and I did not even need speakers!). Of all the models that I bought, the 1st generation Center Channel speakers sounded the best (SC-C21 Center Channel). So, I thought I would compare the "winners" against my 35 YO Polk's. WOW, the Polk's won by a long shot! For years, they were my "throwing around" speakers. Not that I damaged them, but I wish I would have treated them better!
post #528 of 532 Old Today, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Axiom Audio has amazing customer service

I am just writing this to highlight the great customer service I have gotten over the years at Axiom Audio. I bought a full set of speakers in 2007 (two M60s, two QS8s, one VP150, and a subwoofer EP350). Over the years I upgraded the front speakers to M80s v4 and bought a VP180 to replace the VP150. I have had to call in to get replacement parts for a damaged speaker grill, new Axiom Audio stickers for the grills, and various other small requests because.... pissy DOGS. They sent the new labels free of cost and charged me a very fair price for the entire new grill.

I recently wrote in because I bought a new entertainment center for my TV that will no longer fit the VP180 and asked if I could trade it in (2 years old) for a new VP150 for little or no cost. They wrote back that they usually would not consider this request but since I had been a good customer over the years they would honor it and pay for all shipping costs and send me the box to send the VP180 back in.

Seriously, that is excellent customer service. I know Axiom Audio doesn't get a lot of love around these forums, but I am very happy with the sounds from my speakers and they are going to serve me well for many more years.
post #529 of 532 Old Today, 12:30 PM

By the way...

FYI, by the way, I am another one of those rare Axiom Owners in Texas. Maybe we aren't so rare after all?
post #530 of 532 Old Today, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Here is an update I did with my QS8s. I decided not to rear wall mount it and have it exactly 90 degrees to the sides since its a 5.1 setup. I love how it sounds and its awesome! I had dvd tower cabinets modified for the bottom firing woofer and best part about it is I can slide the cabinet front/back/behind couch to see where I liked the sound and the side was best in my situation so there is no big gap between front speakers and the surrounds. Here are the pics how I got my surrounds setup! Next upgrades to the room are GIK 244 acoustic panels on rear wall behind couch to improve the sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160731_152855.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	1623345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_170956.jpg
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	1623353   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_174417.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1623361   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160731_191608 (1).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	1623377   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160102_201223.jpg
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	1623385  

Name:	20160731_175443 (1).jpg
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	1623393  

Living room theater
Panasonic S60 Plasma
Panasonic BDT 500
post #531 of 532 Old Today, 04:15 PM

Three Texan posts in a row!

I too, have had excellent customer service from Axiom. My dog loved to attack my M80's, and VIP150 (before I figured out how to "dog proof" my speakers!)

I ordered replacement grills and replacement drivers, and the price was very reasonable.

So, how did I "dog proof" my speakers?

For my center channel, I put a "coffee table" in between the TV and Center Channel, and for the Left and Right M80's, I went to Wal-Mart, and bought two mini-wooden bar stools, and set them upside down, in front of the speakers.

Probably will not win any interior decorating awards, but they have been 100% effective in preventing my Jack Russell Terrier from attacking the speakers!

Now, she is a little older (15), so she is a little slower, but she can still "turn on" the TERRIER in her.

She gets into watching TV with me too! She sits next to me, on her ottoman, and when there is a fight scene, or action scene, she barks and barks, BUT, I can tell she is not really upset, because she just sits on her ottoman, with very calm body language, she is just enjoying the action with me!
post #532 of 532 Old Today, 07:14 PM

Glad to see I am not the only one that has had their dogs put more wear and tear on their speakers than the humans did. I don't think my wife would approve of the bar-stool method though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page