New Official Axiom Audio Speaker Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #541 of 547 Unread 09-03-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 547 Unread 09-03-2016, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 226
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Hey guys. I currently have a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS-X setup. My question is in regards to expert opinions on the setting s for my speakers.
No expert here, but I have some experience. I use 80Hz sub crossover and set all speakers without woofers as small. Specifically, I'm 5.2.2, with Axiom M80, VP180, M80 in front large), 3 subs, and small side surrounds QS8s, top fronts CSW.

My theory is that speakers and accompanying equipment are designed around this default 80Hz crossover and small surrounds setup. So that's what we should use. That's probably the setting the engineers used when they were designing the internal speaker crossovers.

I went through a period of trying to avoid frequency holes by setting crossovers appropriately, but I could never get a better sound that way.
ereed likes this.

Greg Lee
post #543 of 547 Unread 09-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Show us your axiom system greglee!

Speakers: Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
Audio Gear: Rotel 1075 amplifier, Rotel 1068 pre/pro
Power conditioner: Monster
Cables: Bluejeans, MasterCable, BetterCables, Sewell Direct, Monoprice
post #544 of 547 Unread 09-04-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Show us your axiom system greglee!
Code:
subs: EP500          JBLxx      Sonyxx
top/height:    CSW300        CSW300  (not Axiom)
front:           M80   VP180  M80
wide:       M22                        M22
side:   QS8               me                 QS8
back:     QS8                           QS8
But my current AVR does not power the front wide or back surround speakers.

Greg Lee
post #545 of 547 Unread 09-06-2016, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Code:
subs: EP500          JBLxx      Sonyxx
top/height:    CSW300        CSW300  (not Axiom)
front:           M80   VP180  M80
wide:       M22                        M22
side:   QS8               me                 QS8
back:     QS8                           QS8
But my current AVR does not power the front wide or back surround speakers.
I was hoping for pics! Thats a lot of speakers!

Video Gear: Sony 45es projector, 120 inch Silver Ticket screen, Panasonic BDT500 bluray player
post #546 of 547 Unread 09-10-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
For spl meter I use radio shack brand. The one I have is analog like this. Cost $39 http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...FYs9gQod2tYAPg

You will do this from your main listening position and hold the meter ear level and microphone angled 45 degrees to ceiling (not pointing at speakers) and it will remain this position the whole time. Ideally you sit in middle of tv and point meter towards ceiling at 45 degrees and HOLD it there and don't move. Turn on the meter and put it on C weighting and SLOW response and turn the level to 75 db reading. Now turn the volume up on your AVR during the test tones at the main speakers til it reaches 75 db on the meter itself (do not touch avr volume knob again after this point). Memorize the volume number on AVR (this is where you most likely will be using for movie playback). The needle moves on the meter and use your remote on avr and raise db up or down for each speaker level so it reaches 75db. If its over 75 db then turn down speaker level for that speaker a db or two. While holding still for test tones every speaker should be at exact reading as possible 75db on meter except for the sub which you can do last. For the sub, do the exact same thing but keep sub level on avr at "0" and just use svs amp to turn up til you read 85db on meter while in same position (you may have to get up to adjust and back to MLP a few times). All this does is get each speaker leveled matched so one speaker doesn't overpower the other and sound like director intended when you watch the movie. So while you're sitting and holding still and everything is quiet just run the test tones and each speaker should be 75db and sub at 85db. Then you're done! Feel free to adjust sub to your liking....if its too loud turn down sub at amp a little...if you want more turn it up a little. This process takes about 15 min overall.
Thanks again for your help here on the forums. I also sent you a pm about this. I bought the meter you suggested and I plan on running my speaker tests today when I get back. I've read over your instructions a couple times now and the only part I'm still having a question about is the level in supposed to set my AVR at while outputting test tones through the speakers.

I primarily run my volume levels while watching movies around -11 to -10 db. How exactly am I supposed to know which volume level to choose when using the test tones? Am I supposed to send the text tones from one of my main front speakers and adjust the volume until I get a 75db reading on the spl meter? If so, that confuses me because then I'm not sure if I'm supposed to increase or decrease the volume for the fronts because I'm testing it right where I'm supposed to at the 75db level.

I hope that didn't confuse you. Lol. Thanks for your help.

post #547 of 547 Unread 09-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post
Thanks again for your help here on the forums. I also sent you a pm about this. I bought the meter you suggested and I plan on running my speaker tests today when I get back. I've read over your instructions a couple times now and the only part I'm still having a question about is the level in supposed to set my AVR at while outputting test tones through the speakers.

I primarily run my volume levels while watching movies around -11 to -10 db. How exactly am I supposed to know which volume level to choose when using the test tones? Am I supposed to send the text tones from one of my main front speakers and adjust the volume until I get a 75db reading on the spl meter? If so, that confuses me because then I'm not sure if I'm supposed to increase or decrease the volume for the fronts because I'm testing it right where I'm supposed to at the 75db level.

I hope that didn't confuse you. Lol. Thanks for your help.
No worries, I sent you a PM as well in more detail. Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers