1Likes

post #151 of 433 Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

You can't buy them separate only in pairs so why would I list the price as a single?

M3 v3 OnWall Speaker *Single* -Custom Eggshell White with White Grille

Sure you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 433 Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Someone mentioned Axioms are on sale right now - I only see one of them on sale. Can you point the others out to me?

Thanks!
post #153 of 433 Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
There's a banner across the home page that states' Custom Finish Sale'...

TAM
post #154 of 433 Old 04-09-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

AH, I see it now. I thought it was a general sale.
post #155 of 433 Old 04-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

There was lots of good info there; however, it was very heavily opinionated as well - although from the outset of the article, he declared that it was. The article, plus the discussion following, did point out the difficulties in assessing speakers both in measurement techniques. In the end after the science it done, the results are still subject to room characteristics & the listeners' ears & preferences. Seems to me that there is a lot of 'similarly good' product out there - it's just up to customers to choose what is right for them at the price point that they want to pay.

TAM

I will agree with all of what you have said. However, I think there are products that have more sound engineering and design implimented into them than others at any given price point. Which includes (but is without question not limited to) no massive ohms dips, great cabinet bracing, even (as much as can be at - again - a given price point) frequency response across the audible spectrum, and so forth. And yes, before you say anything, I do know that great engineering goes beyond these issues.
post #156 of 433 Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Sure, great engineering is a noble goal; however, it tends to escalate prices beyond my means although there are bargains out there. Whether or not it always translates into a significant improvement in sound reproduction is another matter as the law of diminishing returns comes into play as the price dramatically increases. I read all of the time here where people have listened to very high end, expensive speakers that supposedly have top notch engineering, parts & build quality that were somewhat disappointing to the listener - it's all subjective in the end

As has been said all over this forum ad nauseum, while the science is paramount in designing & producing a speaker, it still is a completely subjective choice by the customer. For me, if they sounds good to my liking, do their job effectively in my systems that give me pleasure at the price point that I can handle, I don't fret over what is inside the boxes. I realize that not many enthusiasts here share this view & good for them. Each to his own...

TAM
post #157 of 433 Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

The end goal of ALL audio video systems is the enjoyment of the end user.

I am VERY pleased with my on wall M3, M2, and M0 speakers.
post #158 of 433 Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-labdriver View Post

Sure, great engineering is a noble goal; however, it tends to escalate prices beyond my means although there are bargains out there. Whether or not it always translates into a significant improvement in sound reproduction is another matter as the law of diminishing returns comes into play as the price dramatically increases. I read all of the time here where people have listened to very high end, expensive speakers that supposedly have top notch engineering, parts & build quality that were somewhat disappointing to the listener - it's all subjective in the end

Well subjective opinion of how someone feels about a particular speaker is not reeeealy what I was getting at. When I said "sound engineering", I was talking about the issues I posted in my post.

"Which includes (but is without question not limited to) no massive ohms dips, great cabinet bracing, even (as much as can be at - again - a given price point) frequency response across the audible spectrum, and so forth."

In other words, I was talking about some basic fundimentals. A drop to 2 ohms should not be happening to a speaker that is rated at 8. (such a situation can cause great harm to an AVR or amp) Again, this is not the only issue I was addressing, but one I was simply highlighting. An issue like that should not be occurring with even an entry-level priced speaker - certainly not one aimed at enthusiasts, such as those who may come to this forum.
Quote:
As has been said all over this forum ad nauseum, while the science is paramount in designing & producing a speaker, it still is a completely subjective choice by the customer. For me, if they sounds good to my liking, do their job effectively in my systems that give me pleasure at the price point that I can handle, I don't fret over what is inside the boxes. I realize that not many enthusiasts here share this view & good for them. Each to his own...

TAM

And I completely applaud the fact that you enjoy what you enjoy, and that you take pleasure from what it is that you like.
post #159 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

"Which includes (but is without question not limited to) no massive ohms dips, great cabinet bracing, even (as much as can be at - again - a given price point) frequency response across the audible spectrum, and so forth."

In other words, I was talking about some basic fundimentals.
Consumers should be concerned with performance and appearance (when speakers are visible as furniture). But not "build quality". You may have the idea that cabinet bracing improves performance, but I may not share your theory about that. In any case, it's performance that counts, and cabinet bracing is significant only if and to the extent that it significantly affects performance. So let's look at performance.

Greg Lee
post #160 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Consumers should be concerned with performance and appearance (when speakers are visible as furniture). But not "build quality". You may have the idea that cabinet bracing improves performance, but I may not share your theory about that. In any case, it's performance that counts, and cabinet bracing is significant only if and to the extent that it significantly affects performance. So let's look at performance.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php/topics/390838/5
post #161 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Consumers should be concerned with performance and appearance (when speakers are visible as furniture). But not "build quality".

So, you're saying that if the speakers were made out of, say, reinforced cardboard, it wouldn't matter?
post #162 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

And that is encouraging to see from Axiom! I am assuming this is a new model. Perhaps they're turning a corner in that area.
post #163 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 56
Quote:

And that is encouraging to see from Axiom! I am assuming this is a new model. Perhaps they're turning a corner in that area.

This is the Bryston Model T
post #164 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So, you're saying that if the speakers were made out of, say, reinforced cardboard, it wouldn't matter?
Quote:

In any case, it's performance that counts, and cabinet bracing is significant only if and to the extent that it significantly affects performance. So let's look at performance.

If you did not take his quote out of context on purpose and actually included that part I just quoted, you would have answered your own question prior to posting it. Purposefully removing part of what someone said to change the tone of their post and then mock them for it is silly.

To summarize the part you purposefully removed from what you quoted: If making the speaker out of cardboard does not affect performance, then it is not an issue. If it does, it is an issue (provided it also does not degrade appearance).
post #165 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM

Another topic that has been discussed ad nauseum. Axiom's policy on bracing in its anti-standing wave cabinet shape has been well known forever - it is no secret.

Owners know that it works splendidly.

TAM
post #166 of 433 Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

It's hard to imagine a nice-looking cardboard speaker, but given that, yes, that's what I'm saying. If it doesn't compromise performance, it shouldn't matter.

Greg Lee
post #167 of 433 Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
Woof eek.gif That other thread was rough. Prospective Axiom patron here...

I'm changing my 7.1 system from having 4 bookshelf speakers (on stands) to one with four in-wall surround speakers. My left, right, and center will stay the same (Klipsch WF-35 and WC-24). If you don't mind, take a look at my concept in the builder forum:

Link

I am interested in using Axiom M22 In-Wall speakers for the 4 surrround speakers. Does anyone have any experience with these. I read through the thread as best I could, but couldn't find any specific examples using them as surrounds. As always, literature on in-walls is pretty scarce. If anyone is familiar with Klipsch and Axiom, would you mind to speak towards there respective sounds (even if you haven't owned the in-walls)? I would love to pair Tractrix horns but I simply can't afford the THX in-walls offered by Klipsch. I would need the THX versions due to the enclosures. Any comment would be appreciated. Thanks.

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
C: Klipsch WC-24 Icon Center Channel
L/R: Klipsch WF-35 Icon Towers
Surrounds (4): Axiom Audio M2 In-Wall Speakers
Sub: Klipsch Reference RW-12d
post #168 of 433 Old 04-12-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I imagine they will be much like the onwall M series I am using, only more powerful. Axiom uses backboxes on their speakers, so you do not have to worry about infinite baffle issues...they know the exact space dimensions of your speaker box. I really like my M series on walls, they work quite well as surrounds and give me the punch I like, so I am sure you will like the M22 in walls. You can rig some kind of wall mount for them and test them to see if you like the way they sound...that way you do not have to cut holes only to find you want to return them. Axiom allows you to test in your home for 30 days and then you only pay return shipping if you do not like them.
post #169 of 433 Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I imagine they will be much like the onwall M series I am using, only more powerful. Axiom uses backboxes on their speakers, so you do not have to worry about infinite baffle issues...they know the exact space dimensions of your speaker box. I really like my M series on walls, they work quite well as surrounds and give me the punch I like, so I am sure you will like the M22 in walls. You can rig some kind of wall mount for them and test them to see if you like the way they sound...that way you do not have to cut holes only to find you want to return them. Axiom allows you to test in your home for 30 days and then you only pay return shipping if you do not like them.
Thanks.

Yes, it is a nice gesture that they allow returns. Also, I couldn't find the information in the other thread but there seems to be a way to get a discount on your order. Can someone explain?

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #170 of 433 Old 04-12-2013, 02:04 PM

If you aren't in a rush, the 'Factory Outlet' is a great way to save a few bucks. I have a bunch of B-Stock (M2s, M3s, M22s & QS4s) & they are virtually flawless to the eye:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet

Check out the Auction Sales there as well...

TAM
post #171 of 433 Old 04-12-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

In fact, if you want onwall/inwall hybrids, there is a pair of black ones in the auction house right now:

https://deals.axiomaudio.com/item.php?id=1180
Quote:
For sale, one pair of brand new A-Stock M22 v3 Speakers in Black with Black Grilles. These speakers have never left the factory and are brand new in the box. You are buying factory direct so there is no charge for shipping in Canada or the US and these speakers come with a full 30 day return policy and 5-year warranty.

Current bid is $167 for the pair, regular price is $466 for the pair.
post #172 of 433 Old 04-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Thanks again. Any reason to think I might be better suited for the M3 in-walls versus the M22s? I thinking dollar signs here smile.gif

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #173 of 433 Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM

I have a pair of QS4s with my M22s up front in my modest system. My QS4s are not wanting in any respect for HT although most people go with the QS8s.

The M22s are quite large for a bookshelf type unit & might be a bit more difficult to mount on/in the walls. The M2s are quite a bit smaller & sound the same as the M22s (same drivers) with less power handling (but the rears normally don't need that much) & a little less bass response.

The M3s are larger (wider) than the M2s & with the minor bass response hump around 120 Hz, give more apparent bass. I find them to be very pleasant for music without the need for a sub in most cases.

Good luck in your quest...

TAM
post #174 of 433 Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Personally, I find the M3s to be more pleasing to my ears than the M2s. It is the bass response hump that does it, I would guess. I am eventually going to replace my 2 M2s with M3s and move the M2s to where my M0s are.
post #175 of 433 Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Yup, the M3s definitely have a 'fuller' sound on their own & would work well as surrounds if you can fit them on/in your wall.

With a decent sub, the M2s really shine with accurate, clean sound...

TAM
post #176 of 433 Old 04-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Thanks you guys. I will be deciding between the three different sets.

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #177 of 433 Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Have you decided on what you are going with yet?
post #178 of 433 Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 AM

I wrote Axiom and they recommended the M22 over the M3, but I'm thinking about getting the M2 since there is such a price disparity. I only plan to listen to music in stereo and these are just my surrounds. If they don't do what I like, I might send them back for the M22s. Since we are talking in-walls here, I might as well start small and work my way up since I can make my wall hole bigger but not smaller.

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
post #179 of 433 Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugsta View Post

I wrote Axiom and they recommended the M22 over the M3, but I'm thinking about getting the M2 since there is such a price disparity. I only plan to listen to music in stereo and these are just my surrounds. If they don't do what I like, I might send them back for the M22s. Since we are talking in-walls here, I might as well start small and work my way up since I can make my wall hole bigger but not smaller.

I'm not suprised about them recommending the 22's...the M2 and 22's essentially have the same liner or flat freq response having owned both they sound very simliar almost extact and likely the more neutral speaker vs. the M3....JMO.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry & Svs SB13U in sig
post #180 of 433 Old 04-24-2013, 08:15 AM

I'm just waiting to hear back from them regarding the speaker grills. If they paint them, will I then be able to repaint them when I change the room color?

My HT Setup:
Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Onkyo TX-NR609
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page