New Official Axiom Audio Speaker Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The other thread became sullied with people who are on some sort of vendetta against Axiom. Thus, a new, unsullied thread is needed and here it is! Lets discuss Axiom Audio without all the hate, shall we? If you are here to post hate or drama, please go somewhere else to do it. Discussions about posts on other forums are prohibited, if you want to discuss the posts on other forums, go to those forums and do it. Respectful discussions of the limitations or issues are encouraged, problem discussion is encouraged as well.

Official website: http://www.axiomaudio.com/
Auction sales: https://deals.axiomaudio.com/browse.php?id=0
Factory Outlet (scratch/dent): http://www.axiomaudio.com/factoryoutlet
Official Forums: http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/
Speaker Selector Tool: http://www.axiomaudio.com/how-to-choose-speakers

Some reviews:
Quote:
Conclusion

So when the music stops and all is almost said and done, where do the Axiom’s land? Let me say this, I for some reason thought these were $600 speakers. When I checked the price again I was blown away to find out they were $348, especially when considering their performance. The M3v3 do most of what a great speaker should. They present a large and open image, linear reproduction of sound, offer a good amount of detail, and be as transparent as the speaker can be. They are certainly worth auditioning. Especially if you are looking for speakers that will bring spring time to your winter.
http://reviews.audioreview.com/axiom-m3v3-bookshelf-speaker-review/3
Quote:
Freeing myself from audiophile preconceptions

The Axiom Audio M22 v2/M2 v2/VP150 v2/EP500 v2 system is a very good value. The Axiom team has created a capable line of affordable, extremely well-made loudspeakers with very few sonic faults, and a subwoofer that demonstrates amazing performance for $1200. During my time with the Axioms, I spent fewer hours analyzing and more time getting lost in film stories and tapping my foot to the music of my favorite artists. It’s very easy to lose track of what this hobby is all about; these Axiom loudspeakers have allowed me to reacquaint myself with the musical medium, not the means.
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/axiom_m22v2_m2v2_vp150v2_ep500v2.htm
Quote:
As one expects of Canadian-school speakers, the M60 v3 measures beautifully, with generally flat response overall and practically dead-flat response from 400 Hz to 10 kHz - a region that encompasses most of the midrange and all but the top octave of treble. There's a very mild bump at 500 Hz that may be the result of floor bounce, and a strong +4-dB peak at 15.5 kHz. Off-axis response is very good; except for the expected treble rolloff, the sound barely changes as you move off-axis. Adding the grilles makes almost no difference - except for a dip of about 2 dB between 6 and 10 kHz, the response with or without the grilles is essentially identical.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/test-report-axiom-audio-m60-v3-tower-speakers?page=0,3
Quote:
Conclusion

M0_onwall_grillonThe fact is that you are making a compromise with an on-wall speaker system. Freestanding speakers have the ability to be larger, can be moved around the space, and have many fewer design restrictions. In a lot of ways, an in-wall speaker has advantages over an on-wall speaker in that it can at least have a backbox. The on-wall speaker needs to be small, thin, and powerful - a tall order. The Axiom Audio M0 delivers. From the magnetic grills to the innovative (if quirky) wall mounting bracket system, the M0s are a speaker unlike any other. Of course, coming from Axiom you'd expect them to deliver sonically - and they do. If you are looking for an unobtrusive on-wall system for a smaller room, the M0s are a very good choice and deserve to be on your short list. At $135 each and free 30 day in home trial, you've got little to lose except your preconceptions about what a small speaker can do.
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/architectural/axiom-audio-epic-accent-m0/m0-measurments-and-conclusion
Quote:
2007 Editors' Choice Awards Audio
Posted February 4, 2008

AXIOM

Epic 80/500
Speaker system
November '07

Judging from the many "Sound & Vision Certified and Recommended" stamps you see applied to speaker systems reviewed in this magazine, there's no shortage of good options available in that category. But what sets Axiom's Epic 80/500 rig apart from many others is its extraordinary value: For a bit more than 3 grand, you get a great-looking system that combines detailed, neutral sonics with the kind of bass extension and dynamics you'd expect only from much more expensive speakers.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/2007-editors-choice-awards-audio?page=0,1

I only snagged reviews that were recent, within the last few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

The on wall speakers have an interesting bracket method. Here is a picture of it:

The speaker has metal hooks that slide onto the metal portions of the wall mounted bracket. The first revision of this bracket was too loose, so Axiom Audio revised it to be tighter. I have several M3, M2, and M0 on wall speakers and I can attest they are not loose at all - if anything I found them a little too tight, meaning it was hard to slide the speaker onto it. This did make it a lot easier to wire up the speaker since I did not have to hold the speaker while connecting the wire to it.
vivatech likes this.
post #3 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 07:39 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

The on wall speakers have an interesting bracket method. Here is a picture of it:

The speaker has metal hooks that slide onto the metal portions of the wall mounted bracket. The first revision of this bracket was too loose, so Axiom Audio revised it to be tighter. I have several M3, M2, and M0 on wall speakers and I can attest they are not loose at all - if anything I found them a little too tight, meaning it was hard to slide the speaker onto it. This did make it a lot easier to wire up the speaker since I did not have to hold the speaker while connecting the wire to it.

I used the T-brackets that came with my QS8's and I can say they work very well, very secure method to attach to the wall.
post #4 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Cybr - Thanks oh so much for this.

I think that the T-mount was the slickest gizmo that I've played with in a while - easy & really secure.

The only problem was that my dyslexia kicked in & I hooked up the speaker wires wrongly, ha; however, good ole Audyssey found that the surrounds were definitely out of phase & saved me a lot of headaches...

TAM
post #5 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

The worst part of the T bracket was using it on the M0. Due to the small size of the M0 speaker I had to be very careful where I put the hole for the speaker wire to ensure the speaker covered it.
post #6 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Here is a thread in this forum on Axiom speakers from 10 years ago: Un-official Axiom review thread. Post #7 is a review by Tom Bombadil of the M2i that persuaded me to buy one.

Greg Lee
post #7 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

In case this is missed elsewhere, this my very recent experience with a new addition to my modest HT system:

I finally got my VP100 carton away from my cats & unpacked it First impressions are that it's much heavier than I expected, fit & finish (B Stock) is excellent & the Brushed Silver with Charcoal Grill matches beautifully with my stand. In my darkened room, it disappears visually.

I set it up on the lowest shelf (3" off the floor) in its slot in my space-challenged stand in the elevated (pointed up slightly) configuration so that it is aimed nicely at the listeners' head.

In order to give it a bit of a workout before calibrating, my wife & I watched the latest 'The Three Musketeers' Blu Ray - the one with the airships. Great, dynamic (but not overdone) soundtrack with lots of dialogue, explosions & wonderful orchestral works throughout. Even without calibration, the VP100 performed seamlessly & admirably. Dialogue was natural & clean. Most importantly, there was no 'What did he say?' from my wife who was seated 30 degrees off center.

After the movie, I successfully ran the 6-position Audyssey calibration, I then listened to various pink noise & multi-channel sweeps at -10 Db (our normal listening level) from my old Avia HT Test DVD. Timbre matching was good, although slightly different from the M22s during single speaker tests, probably because the L & Rs (not toed in) are somewhat off axis from my sweet spot. Interestingly, the multi-channel pink noise signal that rotates around the room encompassing all speakers in sequence, revealed virtually no mismatches between the L, C & R. From the slight differences that I heard with the single speaker signals, it was surprisingly seamless when panning across the front. After learning so much here at AVS wrt nasties that can arise from horizontal CCs, I slid my butt back & forth along my main couch that encompasses up to 10 degrees off axis. No change in pink noise sound there; however, as expected, there was some difference evident out at the 30 degree off center, but nothing overly significant nor detrimental that I could tell.

So, this initial trial run with the movie revealed that there were no chesty male voices, boxiness nor any phasey type sounds - so my setup seems to be quite reasonable & hopefully is now nicely tweaked after calibration.

After Audyssey, I took the opportunity to run a low freq test sweep at -10 Db to see what my two modest 10" Velodyne subs were doing. They started dropping off around 27Hz & finally went silent at 23Hz; however, interestingly several things in the room were still happily reacting & buzzing down to 20 Hz where the Avia test signal terminated.

Addendum:

In addition to 'The Three Musketeers', I've now run 'U-571' & 'Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life', all without any appreciable horizontal CC nasties showing up.

Here is my 'U-571' review wrt the VP100: I played U-571 on my calibrated system this afternoon to give all of the speakers a good workout. As everyone knows, this is a brutal, dynamic soundtrack that was most impressive even at -10 DB. I thought that my surround QS4s were gonna come off the walls during the depth charge sequences. I liked it all but my cats didn't, ha! The VP100 worked well, although some dialogue was overpowered occasionally by the carnage going on inside the sub - almost too much happening in the mix at times.

As for 'Tomb Raider' DVD, interestingly, it was recorded at an overall lower level from most other movies. I had to crank it up to -5 Db (& could have used a bit more) from my normal -10 Db level.

Overall, very enjoyable....

I'm more than satisfied and that's what it's all about....

TAM
post #8 of 416 Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Here is a thread in this forum on Axiom speakers from 10 years ago: Un-official Axiom review thread. Post #7 is a review by Tom Bombadil of the M2i that persuaded me to buy one.

Wow, that is a well written layman review, from someone who has VERY high priced speakers normally. I agree with the need for a subwoofer, at least with the ones I have listed to...but I think all theaters benefit from it (I almost exclusively listen to movies and TV on my speakers).
post #9 of 416 Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 AM

I don't know how I missed that thread in all of my searches - I thought that I had read everything Axiom that could be found on the net over the past couple of years.

My M2v3s combined with a killer EP-400 8" Sub being fed from a tube amp make a really a nice musical system. I too agree that the M2s do need a sub to fill out the bottom end & when used in that fashion, they perform most admirably as described in that older review...

TAM
post #10 of 416 Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM

Liked: 13
Hello Ex-Labdriver

These reviews sum up my experience with Axiom speakers. Axioms are excellent speakers which accurately and efficiently reproduce music.

I enjoy mine. After reading the 2000 GoodSound review it was just a matter of time before I picked up a pair of M3Ti's, my first Axiom speakers:

The M3Ti's performance is indeed phenomenal. In fact, from a passive two-way monitor, you can't really get much more performance regardless of price! This implausible statement warrants an explanation. "Audiophile monitor" genre leaders can cost a whole lot more and will play lower and louder. Also, they are usually gussied up in fancy wood veneers with overbuilt cabinetry and impress with their established brands' reputations for superior sonics. But by comparison, these speakers that can cost up to $2000 per pair really won’t give you any more sonic quality. Yes, you do get a bit more quantity. But then the question becomes do you need it, or do you want to pay for it? Wouldn't you prefer to impress your visiting audio friends with the unknown Axiom brand? You know, play them a tune or two, watch their jaws drop and then explain casually how much you didn't pay for the speakers? Depending on how you answered these questions, the Axiom Millennia M3Ti speakers belong at the very head of your short list of stand-mounted speaker contenders.

It was Colin Flood's review in Enjoy the Music that put me over the edge. He said in part:

The low-priced Axiom M3Tis impressed me greatly with their clarity and resolution, particularly in the crucial midrange area. The midrange is open and clear. They have a level of smoothness normally associated with high-end loudspeakers. The bass and the smooth mid-range make for one very listenable and enjoyable charmer of a cherry box.

In fact, the only loudspeaker I have heard with a smoother, more liquid mid-range and crisp treble presentation was the JM Lab Cobalts, backed by Audio Refinement equipment. Yet, that set-up was four times the price. It was not merely smooth however; it bordered on the lush, Hagen-Daz™ rich and creamy side.

I agreed. The Axiom M3Tis compared favorably to my $3000 pair of Infinity Composition Overture III towers. I sold the Infinities.

I'm not a fan-boy, but here is a manufacturer which has earned my loyalty because of their excellent speakers. I'm thankful I found them.
post #11 of 416 Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM

M22Ti with super tweeter all atop a Velodyne DLS3500R

A pair of M2Ti's about to be mantled:

An early M3V3 with the black eyed peas driver instead of the new albino unit:

VP150

QS8

VP180
post #12 of 416 Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Your VP180 doesn't really sit flat on the floor like that does it?
post #13 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 AM

Here are some pictures of the incredible Michaura speakers built by Axiom. They are in glossy rosewood, hexagonal cabinets which are extremely rigid and fine looking!

The M55 which uses the same 5.25" Axiom driver as the Axiom M22Ti, but enjoys upgraded Jensen caps and Caddock resistors:

This one is one of two back surrounds in the Thiel system.

An M55 in outboard effects position of a 9.2 system, the big one is a Thiel CS 3.6

A gorgeous Michaura M66 with a pair of the same 6.5" drivers as in the M3 and Axiom towers:

The very rare and downright purdy Michaura M665 tower with a pair of Axiom 6.5" drivers under a single 5.25" driver:

post #14 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 AM

Hello JB

No, it sits on the base of the stand for the 65" Toshiba DLP. I'm waiting for some solid rubber wedges to aim it up a bit. However, its off-axis (vertical) performance is terrific.
post #15 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Okay that makes sense, at first I thought you had it on the floor just pointing forward without tilting it.
post #16 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 AM

Vancouver is beautiful. Time to sleep. G'night all
post #17 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 AM

Oops, one more. The Michaura M66 atop an Epik Legend

post #18 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

They actually look much better in white than I would have imagined.
post #19 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

2x6 - very nice but ya gotta hide your wires, ha!

It's kind of an obsession with me...

TAM
post #20 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Hey Ex Labdriver

Those are the weird Mapleshade Clearview Double Golden Helix very thin, very stiff speaker wires. I'm going to swap them out so I can organize the cabling. Love the Mapleshades but they sure are difficult to work with.
post #21 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 23
These forums are for people to discuss products and to share personal opinions, positive or negative. Some of us here have had experience with axiom products and we are entitled to our opinion on these products, good or bad.
There is not a speaker thread anywhere on these forums where only positive things are said, it doesn't matter what brand you pick, you will always find someone who doesn't like that brand or has on opposing opinion to you.
Everyone here has had negative things said about the speakers that they own, check any thread you want, so what makes axiom owners think that they are special and shall be exempt from differing opinions.
As soon as a person says the wrong thing or didn't word it right about an axiom product it comes down to being hatred or a troll, even if its a valid point.

Do I wish I never read a negative comment about the speakers I own, that would be nice, but its not the real world.
When researching a product I want to see both sides of the coin, the positives and the negatives, that way I can make a more informed choice.
Maybe over at the axiom site you can live in a bubble but I doubt that will happen here, as so many brands are discussed on avs and you will hear the good and bad on all brands.
AVS is a public forum as all threads on here are, and no one brand is exempt from personal opinions or experiences positive or negative.

Many times at the axiom forum avs members have been put down and that seems to be ok, but you want to come here and have a different set of rules. fair? really?
Forum members @ axiom have put down other brands with negativity, which is ok , just don't put down axiom here or there, valid or not, personal opinion or otherwise.
To me axiom has become stagnant in their speaker line and there are so many other brands out there which would be a better choice and better value as they constantly strive to build a better speaker.
Imagine a world where everything was censored, I don't think any of us would like that, unless your an axiom owner and only want to read the positives. smile.gif
post #22 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM

2x6: I use cable loom (I think that's the name) to cover the visible wires & cable to at least make them into just one visual run.

They are essentially flexible, corrugated plastic tubing that is split along its length so that one can stuff the cabling inside - you see them in your car's engine compartment. Mine are black but there are some other colours & different diameters as well. I use them only where the wires/cables are visible so you can cut them to length as required with scissors.

They are certainly not invisible; however, it makes a nice clean look with a bit of hi-tech flair...

TAM
post #23 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM

i have some deep purple cable looms, but the Mapleshades won't work with them. I know the wires are messy. I hardly have time to listen to music much less do all the rest.

John1400, I like Axiom speakers, not moved so far to purchase any Axiom subs, and there are many other speaker brands I like very much. I don't have a bad word for any speakers I've heard in years. Not to say that each speaker I've heard does not have deficiencies compared to the perfect: speakers which could reproduce music as if the listener were at a live performance.

I'm new to this site, I posted at the Axiom site for years but at the end of it all, I have little desire to post with the people who have made that site their own. They have been rude to people who have visited that site and who expressed opinions that Axioms are not perfect. For example, I recall when some folks offered upgraded cross-overs for the M22s. Now as I recall the cross-overs cost close to what the speakers went for, could be wrong about that, in any case, they left the site with well earned hard feelings. I did not approve of that lack of hospitality. Anyway, I see that the GTPsuper fella appears to have some hate for Axioms. Maybe he was treated badly on the Axiom site. If he was, he would not be the only one. In any case, he's welcome to his hatred, nothing good will come of it. Just because people react to his antagonism for Axiom products does not mean folks who like Axioms are irrational proponents.

For some, it's like if someone is a Yankee fan they have to hate the Red Sox. Substitute SVS for Yankee and Axiom for Red Sox. You get my point.

Here's to honest and even impassioned discussions about audio equipment by folks who are audio enthusiasts.
post #24 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1400 View Post

These forums are for people to discuss products and to share personal opinions, positive or negative. Some of us here have had experience with axiom products and we are entitled to our opinion on these products, good or bad.
There is not a speaker thread anywhere on these forums where only positive things are said, it doesn't matter what brand you pick, you will always find someone who doesn't like that brand or has on opposing opinion to you.
Everyone here has had negative things said about the speakers that they own, check any thread you want, so what makes axiom owners think that they are special and shall be exempt from differing opinions.
As soon as a person says the wrong thing or didn't word it right about an axiom product it comes down to being hatred or a troll, even if its a valid point.

Do I wish I never read a negative comment about the speakers I own, that would be nice, but its not the real world.
When researching a product I want to see both sides of the coin, the positives and the negatives, that way I can make a more informed choice.
Maybe over at the axiom site you can live in a bubble but I doubt that will happen here, as so many brands are discussed on avs and you will hear the good and bad on all brands.
AVS is a public forum as all threads on here are, and no one brand is exempt from personal opinions or experiences positive or negative.

Many times at the axiom forum avs members have been put down and that seems to be ok, but you want to come here and have a different set of rules. fair? really?
Forum members @ axiom have put down other brands with negativity, which is ok , just don't put down axiom here or there, valid or not, personal opinion or otherwise.
To me axiom has become stagnant in their speaker line and there are so many other brands out there which would be a better choice and better value as they constantly strive to build a better speaker.
Imagine a world where everything was censored, I don't think any of us would like that, unless your an axiom owner and only want to read the positives. smile.gif

I agree, and that is why the first post says to feel free to post negatives, but to stay away from the hateful and/or not helpful posts which marred the other thread. Helpful criticism is always wanted. Bashing threads on other sites, though, is not helpful to anyone here and serves no real purpose.

I do agree that Axiom seems to have stagnated. Their M series on-wall speakers are quite good. Considering that a lot of companies are getting out of the direct radiating on wall business I am happy to see Axiom still in it.
post #25 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM

I don't know that Axiom has stagnated. They make incremental improvements, and their speakers test well and are well reviewed. Change for the sake of change seems like a marketing issue.

Axiom has increased their prices over the years. Might be as much a currency exchange issue as anything else, don't know. They have come out with a high end LFR1100 speaker which costs more than I'd like to spend. They work with Bryston on speaker and amp projects.

They're not flashy. They're solid. Their customer service is top notch.

Personally, I'd like it if they had a bit more ambition. I'd like to see an upgraded M3 which sounds as good as a Focal costing 4 times its price, a speaker which sounds like the Harbeths, Spendors, KEF anniversary at a fraction of the price.

What attracted me to Axiom was the cost/sound quality ratio. I hope Axiom works on keeping prices low and improving sound quality, in other words, more of the quality which has earned it the support of so many ... Bang for the Buck.
audiosavant likes this.
post #26 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x6spds View Post

What attracted me to Axiom was the cost/sound quality ratio. I hope Axiom works on keeping prices low and improving sound quality, in other words, more of the quality which has earned it the support of so many ... Bang for the Buck.

This is why I did not go with Paradigms for my surrounds. The cost was way too high for the benefit. The Axioms fell nicely into that area.

I wonder just how much innovation is left in the speaker industry. What I mean is, how much more is there to invent?
post #27 of 416 Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 PM

MBl Plasma speakers which rely on the ion drive technology from deep space probes. I'd pass on those for my living room.

I think until some paradigm shift in technology, it's just a matter of incremental improvements by tweaking and material science.
post #28 of 416 Old 03-30-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
post #29 of 416 Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah that one speaker is not a good design. Like the one person said, if it was a sound bar, no problem, but as a center speaker, yuck. Their newer centers are not built that way. The other review - you will always have someone who does not like something. He based his audio experience on a graph, though, instead of actually listening first. He biased his experience prior to listening. He should have listened critically first, THEN ran graphs to see if his experience matches the graphs. But to each their own, which is why there are several hundred speaker companies out there. smile.gif
post #30 of 416 Old 03-30-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

The newer VP180 is pretty much a VP150 with woofers on the outside. They both will suffer from cancelation on the off axis which can cause "suckouts" in the response. So if someone likes a speaker with a -10db drop between 1,000hrz and 2,100 hrs than by all means go with one of those two centers. VP100 and VP160 really should be the only Axiom centers to consider. A revised VP150 with a pair of stacked truncated frame in the center flanked by a pair of 5.25" woofers on each side would improve it quite a bit, but it won't have that "coolness" look to it.

Distance matters, and the tweeters are much closer, therefor the VP180 will not suffer as the VP150 did.
Quote:
That M3 reviewer isn't biased, he probably just expected too much from his highly engineered speakers.
Actually, he biased his ears by looking at charts before listening to the speakers.

Quote:
I'm glad theres hundreds of speaker companies out there. Some are great value and great sounding while others are meh, good thing we can all choose the ones we want. We just need to make sure we get as much info from research as we can before buying.

Agreed. We need to not post hyperbole and emotionally charged responses but instead be factual and exact. That way others will get good information instead of bad information. I removed the bad information from what I quoted, so you can learn.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page