Anybody using Magnepan speakers then switch to box speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Right now, I am happy with what I got but I am intrigue with these planar speakers. I know they are hard to drive and not very dynamic for HT use but they say the music reproduction is unequaled compared with the box speakers.

My nearest dealer is 50 miles away and before making a trip, I would like to know if there's anybody out there who used to own Maggies before but switch back to box speakers?? Do they really sound that good? Why switched back to box speakers?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by vailvon View Post

Right now, I am happy with what I got but I am intrigue with these planar speakers. I know they are hard to drive and not very dynamic for HT use but they say the music reproduction is unequaled compared with the box speakers.

My nearest dealer is 50 miles away and before making a trip, I would like to know if there's anybody out there who used to own Maggies before but switch back to box speakers?? Do they really sound that good? Why switched back to box speakers?

One of my best friends sold off his Magnaplanar Tympani's a few decades back and never looked back. The limit to the loudness of Maggies is the fuses, and if you cheat on the fuses you get to buy new panels.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 191
I have never blown a fuse on any of my Mags when the amp wasn't clipping. They can take an awful lot of power but your amp has to be able to deliver it cleanly.

I went from Mags to box speakers and back. I had to switch to box speakers because I moved and had no room for my old 3.6's. The only box speakers I've found that come close to the sound of the Mags were some Philharmonics but they use a ribbon tweeter and planar mid.

That said, the $500/pair MMG's are a decent way to test the Magnepan water but the 1 and 3 series Mags are much better.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #4 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Liked: 11
I'm about to give some Tekton Enzo's a try. I just sold off my 1.7's and MMG's. I'll let you know what I think, but it might be a few days or early next week before I get a chance to hear them well-enough to respond honestly.

post #5 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I had a full Magnepan 5.1 system in my HT for a number of years(well,minus the .1 smile.gif ). Loudness was never a problem. A few of the guys from the local AVS group came over to watch movies a few times and they will tell you,they got plenty loud .

I switched over a few years ago to box speakers. Not because of loudness,but I did miss the midrange slam of cone speakers for movies.
Sadly,the speakers I have are no longer made, Martin Logan Prefaces and Encore.Both use ribbon tweeters(folded).

My Maggies are now in my bedroom in a 2.1 setup.

If I had to make a choice today,I dont know what I would do,as the motion series by Martin Logan just doesnt cut the mustard for me.

Good luck on your search.

Alan

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #6 of 20 Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 224
I have gone back and forth though currently have a full Maggie 7.x system. The clarity and "expansive" soundstage has always led me back, though for pure dynamics and simpler set-up with less floor space a good dynamic is hard to beat. They also will not play deep bass, unless you get the 20's, so a good sub is a must for movies and a lot of music.

If you do not have the space, especially considering they need to be about 3' from the back wall, or do not have (or are willing to purchase and place) good room treatment, then don't waste your time. Space is the main reason I switched back to box for a while, certainly not sound. To me a lot of conventional speakers initially sound impressive but I always end up liking my Maggies more over time. And, mine play louder than I can stand and I have yet to blow a fuse, albeit in a smaller room than they have lived before (about 2000'cu). Never blew a fuse in much larger rooms they lived in before, however.

YMMV - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses.

I have a B&W CM9/CMC2/CM5 combo. My plan is to get the Maggie MG12 as this is the biggest Maggie I can accomodate in my room and leave the center and surround speakers. For music, I either use 2 channel or Anthem 4.1 where it just uses 2 fronts, surrounds and sub.

My concerns are - 1. I don't have a lot of room even for the MG12. The furthest out on the wall it can do is less than 2 feet.
2. I have an Anthem MRX 700 which is 120 watts/channel. Will it be good enough for the MG12? I don't want to buy external amp.

As you can see in the pic, I don't have a lot of room for the Maggies. Will it still sound good even with less than 2 feet from the wall?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guteLaune View Post

I'm about to give some Tekton Enzo's a try. I just sold off my 1.7's and MMG's. I'll let you know what I think, but it might be a few days or early next week before I get a chance to hear them well-enough to respond honestly.

What is the reason you sold the 1.7? I heard they are too bright compared to other models.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 191
I would stick with what you've got. I don't think the Mags will have enough room to breathe in that set up.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #10 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 377
I used to have mmg's for my front 3. I liked them a lot but after awhile it started bugging me that the good sound fell apart when I would move from the sweet spot and I wanted a more dynamic speaker.

I went from this

To this Elemental Designs Cinema speakers. I liked the better than the Maggie's for overall sound and of course no contest in dynamics, these are 98 db sensitivity.

To this. JTR Noesis. No comparison, they sound so good. All time favorite speaker I've heard and it's not close. Music is so addictive, sweet, smooth, etc, crazy huge soundstage.

However it's not fair to compare the Noesis to the Maggie's, the Noesis are 7 times the cost!! I will always say that the mmg's are one of the best deals in audio. The Noesis sound far better to me than the Maggie's but they should for that difference. I've heard the 1.6 Maggie's and liked them better than the mmg's.

Ha, sorry for going overboard on pics...
post #11 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I would stick with what you've got. I don't think the Mags will have enough room to breathe in that set up.

I did notice a significant improvement when I moved my old mmg's 3 feet or more from the front wall so mrlittlejeans is probably right.
post #12 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

I ended up with a pair after living with a pair(owned by room mate at the time) and VERY MUCH enjoyed them. Back then(80s) we were much more concerned about music then watching TV through the Stereo...Holy crap...TV...through the stereo...WHAT WERE WE THINKING!! If the pic above is what space you have to work with, I would keep a traditional box type speaker....I do remember my Maggies liked to have a bit or room around them to really make them shine....Of course, back then, our living room had almost nothing in it...except a Sony 27"XBR,(which was HUGE then) an Adcom 750 pre, a 5802 amp and a Cal Audio CD player...and a pair of Maggies....oh, and 2 nice patio chairs...LOL...Furniture was NOT the priority back then! Ahhh. life was much simpler then...we only had to deal with 2 channels...

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
post #13 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Carp, I actually spoke with the owner of JTR about the 228's. I was about to get 3 for my LCR but wife didn't approve it. I don't have a dedicated HT room like you do and for her it doesn't look good in the living room. My set up sounds good anyways and just want to experience the planar speakers. The MMG is the lowest model, I'm contemplating on getting the MG12 and hopefully it sounds better than the MMG.
post #14 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Carp,
Just think of this, The MMG's are one of their lowest models and you never had a proper matched MMG system. When I had 8 MMG's with 3 SVS 16-46cs+ subs it was an awesome sound theater. I almost reached reference and it never ever sound harsh, even when compressing. Now say you get the 20's, their best and have all the same speakers around, I wonder how that would compare since they handle more power and sound much better. Now I am sure you don't have to go to the 20's but I wonder myself as I still love the sound of maggies.
post #15 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

What do you mean a proper matched mmg system? I had 3 MMG's for my LCR and the surrounds in the back. However I'm mostly talking about 2 channel music when I compare speakers. You wouldn't know it to look at my room but music is my priority over movies.

Back when I listened to the Maggies for the first time in a local store I heard them compared to all kinds of speakers ranging from 2000 a pair to 12,000 a pair and I liked the 1.6's better than anything and the mmg's were my second favorite. I wasn't as into the hobby back then so I didn't even take a mental note of all the speakers I was hearing that day... ugh... ticked at myself now for not knowing what they all were.

So yeah I'm a Maggie fan too - great speakers.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Carp, I actually spoke with the owner of JTR about the 228's. I was about to get 3 for my LCR but wife didn't approve it. I don't have a dedicated HT room like you do and for her it doesn't look good in the living room. My set up sounds good anyways and just want to experience the planar speakers. The MMG is the lowest model, I'm contemplating on getting the MG12 and hopefully it sounds better than the MMG.

I haven't heard the MG12, if it's anything like the 1.6's then it's a significant step up from the MMG's. Not enough for me to pay the difference at the time though (this was back in 2010), for me the MMG's were too good to pass up - the store owner sold me a demo pair he had for 575!! Crazy sound for that price. I later ordered a single MMG and surrounds direct from Magnepan.
post #17 of 20 Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

What is the reason you sold the 1.7? I heard they are too bright compared too other models.

I just wanted to try something different. I really loved the 1.7s, but when I moved, I had to put them in a smaller room, and I'm addicted to trying new gear...soooo...figured I'd give a 98dB speaker a try.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Just listened to 1.6 at my friend's house. I brought my own TEST CD. The speaker is set up about 2 feet away from the wall, not an ideal set up to say the least.

I could say is it is very accurate and transparent, very neutral as well. I know my TEST CD so well with my speakers, the 1.6 didn't give me the WOW feeling, like I'm expecting more from it. There are songs that play very well with the Magnepan but there are songs also that my CM9 is better. Biggest difference is with the Magnepan, the speakers tend to disappear. Sound is just floating in the air. You know the singer/music is in front of you but you can't pinpoint where exactly its coming from. It's like the sound is coming from the whole front wall. Call it Magic, maybe. My CM9, although doesn't dig deep, still produces more bass than 1.6.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your responses.

I have a B&W CM9/CMC2/CM5 combo. My plan is to get the Maggie MG12 as this is the biggest Maggie I can accomodate in my room and leave the center and surround speakers. For music, I either use 2 channel or Anthem 4.1 where it just uses 2 fronts, surrounds and sub.

My concerns are - 1. I don't have a lot of room even for the MG12. The furthest out on the wall it can do is less than 2 feet.
2. I have an Anthem MRX 700 which is 120 watts/channel. Will it be good enough for the MG12? I don't want to buy external amp.

As you can see in the pic, I don't have a lot of room for the Maggies. Will it still sound good even with less than 2 feet from the wall?

Did you get the Maggies?

I'm wanting to upgrade my 600 series B&Ws, and I am considering both the CM9s and the Maggie 1.7s, but I am also concerned about the space required by the Maggies (though I would have about 3 feet behind them). Do you know how much space they need on the side?

Denon AVR-3310ci
Front: B&W 685
Center: B&W HTM61
Surround: B&W M1
Panasonic Viera TC-P46G10
post #20 of 20 Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 14
I recently picked up a pair of 0.5/QRs, which I understand are the predecessor to the MG12. I've been very happy with them so far.

Six months ago, I bought a new MMG-C to replace my Sony center channel box speaker. I got tired of the boxy sound. The MMG-C isn't perfect (limited range: 100Hz - 16KHz), but it's definitely better than the Sony for sound quality.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page