B&W 683s Finally! - Looking for suggestions on Center, Sub & Surrounds - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wife just approved 683 floor standers!!
Been contemplating options for on-wall speakers and now a doing a complete 360 and going for floor standers.

L, R - 683s

Center Channel -
What's my best choice? Preferably wall mounted center to ensure aesthetics. In-wall is even better. If these are bad options, I can do a HTM61/62 on a smaller sanus stand

SubWoofer
Looking for suggestions. Do I go with a B&Ws or are there better ones?Online retailers maybe?

Surrounds
Looking for suggestions on in-ceilings. Currently have take classics and unless they don't cut it with new set-up, I can keep 'em as it will save me some $$

Thanks in advance! I am super excited. Waited for 2 yrs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 06:11 AM

just bought the same speakers 2 weeks ago and my center htm161 came in on monday

my rears are in wall speakers klipsch "only beacuse i had all klipsch before and have not changed those out yet "

sub is a klipsch rw12d

as for subs i would go with a dual sub set up, you can pick up klipsch rw12 at new egg for 300 a piece shiped for 12" subs

the price you pay for 1 b&W sub you can run a dual set up much more bass output for half the price,

just my .02 =>

i havent used the center enough to give you and insight yet but the bowers 683s are an improvement from my klipsc rf52 ii s

im runing a yamaha aventage a2000 but plan on upgrading to a seperate emotiva amp towards the end of the year
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Surround

Even Mini-Sats are better choice than in-ceiling if you can avoid it ...in any way. Your Take Classic's should work just fine. Try them out and see (it is free)

If you can't go with Monoprice.

Center

Center should match your L/R. So look to the speaker line you got the L/R.

Sub

Solarg37 gave you good advice on Sub...Klipsch RW12 is hard ot beat for the price.

If your stepping up in budget then let us know...but if 600 bucks is about your limit the RW12 are great.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thx guys. Appreciate it.

I'll probably keep my surrounds as-is, save $$

I'd love to get more inputs on the center channel - htm61.
I hear some people went with htm62 or 685s. If htm61 does the job, I can stop my search.

Any more inputs on the sub woofer?
I have a Premier Acoustics sub now, but ok to upgrade to a single $600'ish sub

Thx again!
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 37
Congrats on the 683's. They are very nice speakers.

I know the HTM 61 has gotten a bad rap on this forum. I wonder how many of the negative opinions are actually from people who own it, heard it or had direct experience with it. And how much is simply herd mentality. Guess we'll never really know. I will concede though that it is an unusual configuration of drivers for a center channel. But it is the proper speaker that the designers at B&W intended to be matched with the 683's.

So I would really suggest you audition it for yourself with your own source material - especially movies that you know very well with some real soft dialog. Most likely you'll be able to hear a HTM 62 & 685 too for comparison. I know the 685 has been suggested as an alternative but personally I couldn't do it - the aesthetics would really bother me. In the final analysis though, yours is the only opinion that really matters. Get the one that sounds best to you! Good luck.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 AM

i was able to wach the new hobbit this weekend and fast 5

overall its a verry good center speaker after some adjustments i did have the crank the level up +30% over the other speakers to get some real sound out of it,

coming from my klipsch rc52 its a much better speaker,

also they match the 683s also

as time goes by i could give you a better idea but only had them a week now,
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page