Budget 5.1 Home Theater speaker advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pulled the trigger on the Yamaha RX-V573 receiver and am looking for a good deal on a 5.1 System.

I have heard great reviews on the Energy Take 5.1 set, but then hear the not so great reviews, too.

I had a member of another forum suggest the Andrew Jones line from pioneer as a much better sounding set. Looking at the set on TigerDirect.com, it would be available to me for ~$375 shipped...or a touch less if I sub 2 bookshelf speakers for the tower speakers that are in the 5.1 set.

That would be the:
SP-FS52 Tower Speakers
SP-BS22 Bookshelf speakers
SP-C22 Center
SW-8MK2 Sub

I will have to think on the FS52s, as I'm not sure I have the room for the tower speakers. I may go with 2 pairs of the bookshelf speakers.

While I AM a deal hunter, I would pay the additional ~$75 for a system that is better sounding over the Energy Takes.

I will be using this setup for watching movies and listening to music via HTPC. The room it will be in is rather large, but the HT is situated on one side that measures approx. 18'x18'.

I am a total n00b with home theater. I just came from having a Samsung HTIB that just gave up on me (Left channels cut out), and would like to get something with a much fuller sound that will last me for years.

Any thoughts on this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The Pioneers will sound waay better than the Energy Take set. The only think is, the Pioneer sub is pretty weak. You might just get the speakers and save up for a Klipsch RW-12d subwoofer or perhaps something like this 15" kit.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM

I am started out as well. From what I picked, I would not get the sub-woofer from them. I haven't really heard it. I think for the money the Pioneer sound great. I am getting a klipsch rw-12d. BTW Tigerdirect.com has the pioneer much cheaper aka every part under 100 bucks and now best buy will price match.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
A subwoofer sees the whole room, even if your setup is only in part of it. It sounds like you must have a very big space.

The 8" Pioneer sub would be good for very small rooms. It would be better to wait until you can afford the Klipsch RW-12d that has been mentioned. Big difference in max output between the 8" and 12" driver in those two subs. The 8" Pioneer would really struggle in a big space, and if you listen at higher volumes, you would probably be running it at its limits. Not great for longevity of the sub.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Is there a sub less than $325 (it's on Amazon for that) you guys might point me in the direction of or do I need to just sack up & buy that one?

Any other feedback on that Dayton kit?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page