Very disappointed with Newegg - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Willie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The Bay - Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

I long for how the USA used to be when you could do business with a handshake and people were not out to take advantage of you. Unfortunately greed is the name of the game today.

I was a stock boy at J.C. Penney as a teenager. The customer is always right was Penney's mantra. The world has changed, no doubt. J.C. Penney is about to go belly up.

I am 60 and I love Amazon! I expect to get an RMA and pay return shipping. No big deal. When Amazon screws up (and they do) I let them know and they take care of me. Pretty simple.

Pretty sure nobody at Amazon or Newegg is out to take advantage of anyone. If they were, how would you know? Have you met the leadership team of Newegg or Amazon? Have you seen their business plan? Have you looked at their annual reports? Do you know how absolutely thin their margins are, and how close they are to not being profitable? They are concerned about making a profit, and staying in business.

You don't like their policies or business model; fair enough. Don't do business with them. Doesn't mean they are out to take advantage of you. Pretty broad brush stroke. Pining for the 'good old days' is pointless; it is dangerously close to taking a walk down Curmudgeon Avenue.

Willie
Willie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 6,181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 276
There were those who would shake your hand and still rip you off...

My grandparents were friends with JC. Grandmother once said of JC "he was a scamp!" smile.gif

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #63 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SimpleTheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

For Simple Theater: I guess I lived in and still do live in a myth then because I do business with a handshake. I am extremely honest to a fault and my goal in life is not to make a profit by taking advantage of another person. Just because I have 3 earned college degrees does not give me the right to use that knowledge to out smart another person. I made a decision to use my knowledge to help others.
No one is questioning your personal ethics. I'm so sickenly honest that I won't even listen to a burned music file, but that's NOT the point of the discussion. You specifically stated "I long for how the USA used to be when you could do business with a handshake and people were not out to take advantage of you.". I simply pointed out the absurdity of the statement.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
SimpleTheater is offline  
post #64 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,505
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I hadn't read the updates on this thread...wow!

On the one occassion that New Egg shipped me a defective item, they paid the shipping for me to return it. Sure I had to wait for an RMA and sure it was a bit of a pain.

And lastly, maybe the "Customer is always right" philosophy can go hand in had with "You might be right, but if your complaint doesn't fit certain criteria, then you pay the return shipping" philosophy!?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #65 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

The problem with NewEgg is they charge for returning defective merchandise. Probably 95% of what I buy from them works fine, but it does piss me off when I have to pay $10 to exchange a DOA power supply.

That's odd. I ordered a PC case from Newegg that didn't work. What'd they do? I call them and tell them it's defective, they ship me a new one. Didn't even ask for the old one back.

I think it depends on who you talk to and how you talk. Also depends on the type of merchandise you're dealing with. Things like speakers, where it's much harder to diagnose damage, makes it more difficult to return.
tential is offline  
post #66 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
tential's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Obviously, I don't fit in with the thinking on this thread so I am out of here. I am betting with age that some of you will mature and change your view point. I wish you well in the mean time and hope you don't get taken advantage of too badly until that happens. BTW, I need to add Hot Link to my list of companies that offer great customer service. Also, I disagree with the above poster. Newegg's policy is not fair. I do agree though that it is their's to make and my choice not to do business with them until it changes.

For Simple Theater: I guess I lived in and still do live in a myth then because I do business with a handshake. I am extremely honest to a fault and my goal in life is not to make a profit by taking advantage of another person. Just because I have 3 earned college degrees does not give me the right to use that knowledge to out smart another person. I made a decision to use my knowledge to help others.

How did anyone take advantage of you? EVERYTHING is clearly labeled on neweggs website. I've bought TONS of things on there. You know what I do first? Read the return policy. ALWAYS. People abuse these policies heavily. If any company had free returns on tower speakers, I'd order towers just to try them out til I found one I liked. TONS of people would. Newegg is correct in adding a restocking fee and I know I'd have to pay this same restocking fee at amazon or other places too. If you don't want to pay a restocking fee, perhaps you should become a preferred member of some of these companies. For example, I'm an Amazon Prime member. I ordered a receiver to my home address rather than school by accident using one day shipping. I simply called up amazon, told them it was shipped to the wrong address, and they next dayed it to me at school, and just told me to leave my old receiver outside and that they'd pick it up. I doubt I'd get that service as a regular customer.

It seems to me you long for the days where we give things out for free and let people abuse companies, even if it means they take a loss, so that you can get what you want. It's selfish to not see it from a business point of view. Newegg did nothing wrong and if you want free returns buy from other sites. Just like Mike Garret said, either way, you pay for returns in one form or another. NOTHING is truly free.
SimpleTheater likes this.
tential is offline  
post #67 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
itznfb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Sorry, but I greatly disagree with you. I have quit doing any business with Amazon all together, Since they have gone to using Prestige for shipping in Michigan I have had two shipments marked delivered that I never received. I don't know who they were delivered to but it sure wasn't me. To the OP's point I have to agree that Newegg's customer service needs improvement as well. It is really odd that thousands of people are out of work and yet nobody seems to care about the quality of the job they do, Part of the problem is that so much of the customer service has been shipped out of the United States.

Sorry to go this far back in the thread but did you use Amazon's Packaging feedback? If you log into your account and go to Orders. There is a "Leave Packaging Feedback" button. This allows you to rate the delivery service as well as packaging and leave comments. I ordered a bunch of stuff one time and didn't receive the package. I waited until the next day and filled out the form saying I did not receive the package. 3~4 hours later I received an e-mail from a support rep asking for some more details and apologizing and they refunded my shipping costs right away and re-shipped the order via a different carrier over night. So if they some how truly blew you off then I can see how you'd be upset but if you didn't do anything about it and give them a chance to correct the situation then you shouldn't be upset with Amazon. In some areas they will let you leave comments in your order and you can specify a carrier.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
itznfb is offline  
post #68 of 70 Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,758
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

I bet stores see you as a push over and an easy mark. My philosophy is the customer is always right even if he is wrong. Part of the cost of doing business is keeping the customer happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Obviously, I don't fit in with the thinking on this thread so I am out of here. I am betting with age that some of you will mature and change your view point. I wish you well in the mean time and hope you don't get taken advantage of too badly until that happens. BTW, I need to add Hot Link to my list of companies that offer great customer service. Also, I disagree with the above poster. Newegg's policy is not fair. I do agree though that it is their's to make and my choice not to do business with them until it changes.

For Simple Theater: I guess I lived in and still do live in a myth then because I do business with a handshake. I am extremely honest to a fault and my goal in life is not to make a profit by taking advantage of another person. Just because I have 3 earned college degrees does not give me the right to use that knowledge to out smart another person. I made a decision to use my knowledge to help others.

Begin jaded about some part of our culture is not an indication of maturity. It's a sign of disillusionment that can happen at any age.

Now, there is nothing wrong with preferring to buy only from vendors who offer a generous return policy and high degree of customer service. That's fine. That can be the right choice for some people.

However, if you have actually been listening to and evaluating what I've been saying, then you would understand that I've been advocating making informed value judgments when purchasing online. While you might have a nostalgic wish for the golden days of business on a handshake and may never be comfortable adopting that kind of strategy because you are too old to adapt, there are those of who have learned to become smart consumers, and we are not "marks" (that kind of generalization doesn't seem very thoughtful to me anyway). And don't assume that just because you have three college degrees that you know more. I doubt your three degrees trump my three degrees rolleyes.gif
SimpleTheater likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #69 of 70 Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
udt89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I read everyone's reply and I was just posting my frustrations. I now look at amazon prior to newegg and will gladly pay 10% more at amazon. Just my choice.

Open box shouldn't mean damaged. I don't care what your return policy states. Either package it correctly or don't resell it.

Lastly, I had to call again because I bought the 12d sub with a $50 discount code in this same order. Well when I got my refund for the other items they took off a prorated amount of the discount.

Seems like a simple fix.....well I must keep getting the inexperienced customer service rep. I once again had to speak to a manager and explain why this shouldn't be since the discount was for an item I kept.

Yes alls well that ends well, but c'mon already.

udt89 is offline  
post #70 of 70 Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,505
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Well, maybe new egg does have a few things to learn in the customer service area...however, every company get complaints! I have had some issues with Amazon and none with new egg! I guess all we can do is evaluate the price in the context of the return policy and see if the overall deal is worth it!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off