Very disappointed with Newegg - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ordered the W series by Klipsch from them because of the insane price. I bought an open box wf-35 and two new ws-24 and a wc-24

I bought the open box bc I had the chance to buy a new one locally pretty cheap.

Here are my issues. The open box was literally that, open. The box was so damaged on the top you could tell it was the original shipping box. Nothing was done to reinforce the compromised cardboard and everything but the bottom foam was cracked. So this beautiful speaker of course arrives with two dented corners. What a waste. I was really upset bc the speaker was a thing of beauty.

But here is my real issue. The "new" surrounds and center were repackaged. I did not open them, but explain to me how the packing tape was covering the shipping label? Or why the klipsch labeled tape was ripped underneath.

I like newegg but after this debacle I might look elsewhere. Especially since I had to speak two supervisors to explain that I'm returning the non damaged speakers bc they are part of a set and not paying return shipping.

So instead I'm ordering a new rti a7 system from acoustic sound designs.

Poor me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Newegg has great prices and a TERRIBLE return policies. I would never ever order from them again.

One of the worst return policy in the business.
post #3 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Although, I agree, their return policy isn't great on a lot of things, it's probably such because it's well known of all of the return policy abuse that takes place in the electronics business. Just look at almost every other thread in any section to see the huge amount of people who talk about returning their third or fourth TV because they're obsessed with finding the perfect picture that doesn't even exist. Same thing in some of the speaker, amp and receiver threads.

That said, their policy should certainly be a little better on a lot of things. You certainly shouldn't be having to pay to send defective or damaged merchandise back.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #4 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Their are lots of stores that have great return policies... Heck even Best Buy has a good return policy. Costco, Amazon, I am sure the list goes on.

Some stores choose to give good service to their customers and great prices... Some choose good prices at the cost of customer service. Those that due *New Egg* ...I choose to not buy from.

We really should create a list of major stores and rate their return policies... I think it would help people.
post #5 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 789
What is wrong with neweggs return policy? I've purchased many items (12 speakers, 2 subs, 2 computers, 1 monitor a receiver, and a ton of pc related items) from them and no problems. I have called their customer service when I had items damaged in shipping and they replaced them no problem. If you are referring to their restocking fee, be sure what it is you want to buy and don't use them for demo purposes.
SimpleTheater likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #6 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Yeah, I always buy from Amazon. Newegg has some great prices, but nobody beats Amazon service & support. Nobody. biggrin.gif
post #7 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Yeah, I always buy from Amazon. Newegg has some great prices, but nobody beats Amazon service & support. Nobody. biggrin.gif

Sorry, but I greatly disagree with you. I have quit doing any business with Amazon all together, Since they have gone to using Prestige for shipping in Michigan I have had two shipments marked delivered that I never received. I don't know who they were delivered to but it sure wasn't me. To the OP's point I have to agree that Newegg's customer service needs improvement as well. It is really odd that thousands of people are out of work and yet nobody seems to care about the quality of the job they do, Part of the problem is that so much of the customer service has been shipped out of the United States.
post #8 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 156
New egg has some of the best deals...so as long as you read/know the return policy...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #9 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post

Sorry, but I greatly disagree with you. I have quit doing any business with Amazon all together, Since they have gone to using Prestige for shipping in Michigan I have had two shipments marked delivered that I never received. I don't know who they were delivered to but it sure wasn't me.

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear. That has happened to me as well with UPS, FedEx, & USPS. But since I requested signature confirmation, it has not happened. biggrin.gif
post #10 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Neweggs return policy reminds me when people were afraid to buy online. I was in my teens when "the net" took off and I bought things all the time. The return policies then were so bad that if they all stayed the same people would probably buy at b&m stores.

The restocking fee has to go, especially if it is unopened. I was shocked they were going to charge me that on unopened merch.

Return shipping? That's has to go all together, opened or not.

RMA numbers? That's showing the late 90s of the Internet. Just take the return. I shouldn't have to tape this, print this, write this in the box.

Just some of my observations.

post #11 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by udt89 View Post

Neweggs return policy reminds me when people were afraid to buy online. I was in my teens when "the net" took off and I bought things all the time. The return policies then were so bad that if they all stayed the same people would probably buy at b&m stores.

The restocking fee has to go, especially if it is unopened. I was shocked they were going to charge me that on unopened merch.

Return shipping? That's has to go all together, opened or not.

RMA numbers? That's showing the late 90s of the Internet. Just take the return. I shouldn't have to tape this, print this, write this in the box.

Just some of my observations.

I agree that there should not be a restocking fee if it hasn't been opened. I can't say I agree on the return shipping if you just decide you don't want it. They shouldn't have to pay for you to ship it back because you change your mind.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #12 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

The amount newegg would pay to return ship compared to what you and I pay is a big difference. Charge me that amount.

post #13 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The problem with NewEgg is they charge for returning defective merchandise. Probably 95% of what I buy from them works fine, but it does piss me off when I have to pay $10 to exchange a DOA power supply.
post #14 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

Liked: 17
I have never once had to pay for return shipping for something that was doa or damaged from newegg. They have always provided a rma and shipping label. You people are doing something wrong...
post #15 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah...we are wrong you are right. Our bad.
post #16 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicguy View Post

I have never once had to pay for return shipping for something that was doa or damaged from newegg. They have always provided a rma and shipping label. You people are doing something wrong...
Same here, which is why I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Someone please tell me what is wrong with their policy.

LOL!
post #17 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

These are not the droids you are looking for. Continue as you were.
post #18 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Same here, which is why I don't understand the purpose of this thread. Someone please tell me what is wrong with their policy.

That they are 10 years behind the times. Return shipping and restocking fee? And RMA numbers for everything.

I was posting to alert people newegg sold me speakers advertised as new that weren't. And I should've taken pics to prove it. So now I question their "sales" on models that are a few years old. As well as the hassle I had to return items

post #19 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The amount newegg would pay to return ship compared to what you and I pay is a big difference. Charge me that amount.

They have to spend time and money processing your order. I don't know what their shipping costs are versus a customer's, but if you get charged more to ship something back, oh well... not really newegg's fault.

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote:
post #20 of 70 Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

That they are 10 years behind the times. Return shipping and restocking fee? And RMA numbers for everything.

I was posting to alert people newegg sold me speakers advertised as new that weren't. And I should've taken pics to prove it. So now I question their "sales" on models that are a few years old. As well as the hassle I had to return items

restocking fees...blame that on too many people who have been known to demo items and return them in a short period of time. plus it does cost money to add previously sold items back to the shelf so to speak...and restocking fees are far from unheard of in todays world. just be aware of that part of the policy and don't buy products for demo purposes from newegg. if you are unsure if you want something, do more research and maybe purchase from a different vendor that does not have a restocking policy...however having a restocking fee policy hardly makes newegg 10 years behind the times.rolleyes.gif

return shipping...see above and this is not unheard of in the internet retailer world...i guess emotiva is behind the times because i had to pay return shipping on a preamp that i tried out. there are a ton of internet direct audio companies and many of them offer 30 or more days trial period for their products but usually the customer has to pay return shipping.

RMA numbers...you got to be joking...RMA numbers is a very standard way of dealing with returns and defective products. emo issued me an RMA when i returned my preamp. almost all the vendors i deal with at work do the RMA process as well, not counting that almost all manufacturers require this for defective merchandise being returned to them...don't see how this is a sign of a bad return policy or how it makes newegg 10 years behind the times.

your speaker issue sounds like a real problem, my experience and I am sure many others as well, with returning items to newegg is that i have never been charged restocking or return shipping on a defective item. most defects are apparent as soon as the box is opened or within a few short hours of initial use. a quick call to neweggs customer support and i was treated appropriately for my problems. It sounds like more due diligence on your part in working with the egg is in order. if the first level support couldn't/wouldn't help then escalate. companies like newegg are in business to make money, and having unsatisfied customers doesnot do well when it comes to making money...imho...

again, i fail to see what is wrong with neweggs policies. they are very easy to find on their website and i detect no malicious intent on their part to fleece their customers. customer service in my case has been good to excellent and when i had to return defective items they took it back no problem and no money out of my pocket. one of my polk speakers had a broken grill upon delivery, i phoned newegg to report the issue and they gave me two options, return the speaker at their expense or keep the speaker and get a new grill from polk using warranty service...i chose the later, but newegg was willing to take the speaker back at no cost to me. i have returned a portable hardrive and router and an onkyo receiver all for being defective and each time they took the items back no problem and no money out of my pocket. so what is their problem?
Brennan.OSD likes this.

LOL!
post #21 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 18
Newegg is good because on many products they have the lowest prices imaginable and they usually don't charge you tax depending on where you live of course.

They are not so good because of their stingy return policies.

If you know what you want then their prices can't be beat many times. It is a trade off that customers pay for one way or the other.
post #22 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfD View Post

It is a trade off that customers pay for one way or the other.

Yep...trade off. However, people should be aware of that trade off PRIOR to buying from them. If the price difference is a few dollars it is usually worth it to go elsewhere... At least if elsewhere has better CS and return policy.
post #23 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^again what is wrong with their policy

here it is linked: return policy

i went to their site and clicked on electronics, speakers and clicked on best sellers and i got this page you will notice that the last line of each product description in the return policy hot linked for each type. how can one not "know" prior to making a purchase what their policy is?

what is wrong with their customer service? my experience with them puts them on about the same level as best buy and amazon customer service. Like any CS department if you have an issue with the first level of support, escalate matters. every time I have ever escalated a CS issue with any company I have been able to work out amicable results for all parties.

i chalk this thread up to another "I have a problem with vendor X so everyone in the world needs to stop using them!" thread.

LOL!
post #24 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

The thing is, their return policies are very clearly spelled out and all over every product page. I'm not sure what issue anyone could have... LOL! I've only had one defective item from them and they got me a label and I sent it back for free and had a replacement within a week. They just don't want people demoing products and expecting to send them back for free and with no restocking fee. Perfectly reasonable.

***EDIT*** Jason beat me to it. LOL!

Quote:
post #25 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^at least someone "gets it".biggrin.gif

LOL!
post #26 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
+3

Newegg's return policy is what allows them to keep their prices down where they are. As others point out, they are very clear about their policies and they do support them. I've had no problem returning defective items when the policy for the product allowed for it.

But at the same time, knowing that return policy, I would be hesitant to buy tower speakers from Newegg. Towers from typical brick and mortar speaker companies are well known for being poorly packed for shipping. The boxes are designed for being shipped on a pallet, not via UPS or FedEx. Unless the towers are being double-boxed, they are always heavily at risk of damage. And then open box floorstanding speakers that have already been shipped out previously? That's just inviting receiving damaged product unless double-boxed.

Same's true for large subwoofers that are very heavy. Original manufacturer packaging may not be up to being shipped out more than once (if once). That's one thing in favor of the ID sub vendors who package their subs well because they depend on all their business being shipped via UPS or FedEx. And I would imagine the same would be true for ID tower speakers, too (although I have not ordered any).

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #27 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+3

Newegg's return policy is what allows them to keep their prices down where they are.

Bull hockey.... Plenty of other online market places have much better return policies and often beat them in price. I am not saying Newegg does not have good prices but you are making way way way too many economic assumptions to even come close to a determination...

You took one factor and determined it was a major factor...no ..the only factor in making Newegg prices competitive.

Shopping at Newegg is your choice as a consumer...as long as your an informed customer then fine. You are knowingly taking the gamble.

I have nothing against their polices as long as everyone is fully aware of them upfront. When you say their policy is very clear... Ask the people who get a DoA new item and are required to pay shipping both ways if this was clear...

Common practice is to not charge return shipping on DoA items... When they post this policy they could be much clearer on certain areas that go against what is normal practices in the industry. Some people may have had luck getting an exception to their normal policy...but it IS their stated written policy to charge return shipping on DoA.

Bottom line is Newegg's return policy as written is not very consumer friendly. We can leave it at that.
post #28 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 18
I didn't have to pay return shipping when I got a DoA Klipsch RW-12d from NewEgg.
It was frustrating and a major pain. But they paid shipping both ways and gave ma a full refund.

They also gave me a $20 gift card after I complained.
post #29 of 70 Old 03-23-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Bull hockey.... Plenty of other online market places have much better return policies and often beat them in price. I am not saying Newegg does not have good prices but you are making way way way too many economic assumptions to even come close to a determination...

You took one factor and determined it was a major factor...no ..the only factor in making Newegg prices competitive.

Shopping at Newegg is your choice as a consumer...as long as your an informed customer then fine. You are knowingly taking the gamble.

I have nothing against their polices as long as everyone is fully aware of them upfront. When you say their policy is very clear... Ask the people who get a DoA new item and are required to pay shipping both ways if this was clear...

Common practice is to not charge return shipping on DoA items... When they post this policy they could be much clearer on certain areas that go against what is normal practices in the industry. Some people may have had luck getting an exception to their normal policy...but it IS their stated written policy to charge return shipping on DoA.

Bottom line is Newegg's return policy as written is not very consumer friendly. We can leave it at that.

Really? The OP is complaining about an Open Box purchase.

When in the shopping cart, it CLEARLY SAYS "REFUND ONLY" and then to make the purchase, one has to AGREE to the terms of the open box policy:

If that's not a big warning flag that the policy is different from other places, then I don't what is. Particularly since even B&M stores often have limited return policies on open box items, sometimes no returns possible it all. It would be very naive to assume that return shipping is covered here since it doesn't mention it anywhere.

Meanwhile, I've been buying from Newegg for over a decade. They are one of the few major ecommerce retailers that still exist and grew during that time. They provide great customer service within their policies. You get what they say you pay for. I've never had a customer problem with them, and this has included buying thousands of dollars of computer equipment. Just because someone is new to Newegg and doesn't understand their policies, that doesn't make it Newegg's fault. Just because other businesses offer different return policies, that doesn't make it Newegg's fault that a customer didn't read their policy.

And I have no doubt that their continued success is due in part to their RMA restocking and other return policies. Has to help with the bottom line. I don't see how anyone could think it wouldn't rolleyes.gif
SimpleTheater likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #30 of 70 Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+3

Newegg's return policy is what allows them to keep their prices down where they are.

Newegg will not charge return shipping on DOA or defective items. I know from experience with them. when i got defective items (a defective upon hook-up onkyo receiver being my most recent return to them last summer). i physically picked up the phone and called them, explained the situation, they issued me a RMA number and sent me via email a return shipping label. if this is not your experience then there was some thing wrong with the CS support and you should have/ could have escalated the issue. I have never been charged return shipping on a defective item from any company.

I would also like to point out that neweggs general return policy states
Quote:
Any return for a refund may be subject to a 15% restocking fee.

notice the wording of "may be" in that line, not will be or not will always be. I take this to mean the restocking fee will not always be in affect. As as my experience validates in the event of defective or DOA merchandise there was no restocking fee charged to me.

I didnt find any verbage regarding return shipping costs, none that stood out anyway. the way i look at it when returning a mail order item to newegg, or any company for that matter, if I am returning it because i do not want the item for whatever reason then it is fair to ask for return shipping. if i am returning an item with in the 30 day return window in neweggs case, and the item is defective then i should not have to pay return shipping. Any my dealings with the newegg validate this.

LOL!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page