Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 04-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Funny, I picked up some Rush tix for when they visit Denver in a few months, June I think. Glad I could help.

That is too funny you mention this. I saw Rush in Vegas over Thanksgiving and was hopeful they'd return there on the 2nd leg of the tour. They're not, and Denver I believe is the second to last show on the tour, and then they'll be off for a WHILE. I'm thinking of going to the Denver show. Got an extra ticket? lol The show is 8/2 btw. Too bad it's not at Red Rocks this time. Although I much prefer indoor shows (for Rush especially) I always wanted to see a show at Red Rocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Red rocks is the coolest venue I've been to. Boulders running along the sides of the amphitheater and behind the stage. If your at least half way back you can see Denver off in the distance beyond the stage, beautiful. I got to see Dave Matthews, godsmack and rob zombie, and Stevie nicks. It's a hell of a hike to get in there though, especially after some consumption. I miss living in CO.
post #33 of 57 Old 04-13-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 26
Ok so my onkyo 818 just came in. I'm still setting it up but so far I'm a little underwhelmed. I let XT32 do its thing but I'm not totally happy with it. It's a little bright and sounds flat. I didn't use a tripod for the mic, just a small stand I found around the house so maybe that's the problem. I'll try running it a few more times. Part of it is that I'm just not use to the new sound so ill give my ears some time to adjust.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Pioneer 1522k

Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX

Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #34 of 57 Old 04-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Just to make sure... You are hitting Q on remote and selecting the sound program you set up for Music or Movies right? If you don't apply the sound program ...even after you run XT32 it is not being applied.

It is a PITA every time you turn off or switch input devices I have to reapply the sound program to the input I am listening to.

Anyway..you probably are doing this but just making sure.

For me 818 just blends my whole system...wonderfully...but I am using a very powerful sub, a phantom center and different surrounds...and my room is crap...so of course it will have a bigger positive effect on me. The closer you are to a good room with matching x 5 or x 7 speakers...the less good potential you have and the more it may highlight some of the bad things it can do.

You may want to run it again and at least use a something stationary and good for the mic if you are not also.
post #35 of 57 Old 04-13-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01 View Post

Just to make sure... You are hitting Q on remote and selecting the sound program you set up for Music or Movies right? If you don't apply the sound program ...even after you run XT32 it is not being applied.

It is a PITA every time you turn off or switch input devices I have to reapply the sound program to the input I am listening to.

Anyway..you probably are doing this but just making sure.

For me 818 just blends my whole system...wonderfully...but I am using a very powerful sub, a phantom center and different surrounds...and my room is crap...so of course it will have a bigger positive effect on me. The closer you are to a good room with matching x 5 or x 7 speakers...the less good potential you have and the more it may highlight some of the bad things it can do.

You may want to run it again and at least use a something stationary and good for the mic if you are not also.

Hm, on my receiver audessy is still on even if my sound program is off. If I go to sound program 1(which has audessy enabled as well) it doesn't make any difference. Maybe I have mine configured in some way so that I don't need to keep doing that.

Main System: SVS Ultra Towers - 15" custom ported subwoofer - SVS PB-1000 - Pioneer 1522k

Computer System: Carnagie Acoustics CSB-1 - 12' Onkyo sealed subwoofer - Pioneer VSX-92 THX

Other speakers owned or auditioned: Aperion T6 - Ascend CBM-170 - Energy RC-10 - Wharfdale 10.1 - Arx A1b
post #36 of 57 Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

So I went ahead and ordered a Pioneer Elite SC61. Im retuning the 818. I can't live with this overly bright sound and there's nothing I can do to tame it except the tone controls which doesn't do a great job. I re-ran xt32 a few times and played with the mic height to no avail. I also prefer pioneers UI.

post #37 of 57 Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Try going to Costco and get a sc1522k same as sc65 for 599.00
post #38 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Try going to Costco and get a sc1522k same as sc65 for 599.00

Wow that's an amazing price. Do all costcos have them?

post #39 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 AM

S&W -

Looks like we're in a simialr situation with the Ultra's and wanting a new receiver/amp. I'll be getting my speakers 5/2 and will see how my Denon 2310ci performs with it. Regardless, I know there is better power available to give these Ultra's significantly improved sonic and dynamic capabillities. That said, and using your own description of the Onkyo being underwhelming, confirming my thinking about these commercial receivers, I don't think any of these "relatively inexpensive" commercial brands (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz) are going to accomplish what you want. Now this is just IMHO, but everything I've been reading/researching on receivers confirms this. This can be debated forever, and I'm always interested what others say. With this in mind, I'm looking at going with an Emotiva amp (XPA-5) and pre/pro which gives you 200w x5 of true rated power into 5 channels. Cost with the pre-amp is $1500. They have two channel amps as well. OR, an NAD T 757 receiver, rated at a TRUE 60w x 7. $1,199. In the real world, the NAD puts out 120 w into two channels or 88w into five channels, which is still better than most of the commercial receivers rated at 125w. Here's the thing, not all watts are created equal, IMO. I've had NAD before and it was the best sounding, most dynamic amp I've ever heard. This is a while ago but the reviews indicate they haven't moved far from their pedigree. Not very popular these days. Emotiva is "the internet darling" as Ed Mullen from SVS puts it. He said they're great, and they are very popular with users enthusiastically echoing that sentiment. Most people just love them for power and dynamics. Definitely worth a look.

Emotiva:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi

NAD:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-757-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

http://hometheaterreview.com/nad-t-757-av-surround-sound-receiver-reviewed/

Just to add, the NAD has minimal features. No video conversion, multEQ, streaming, usb ports, etc so that might not be what you're looking for. With NAD, their focus is sound, and sound only.
post #40 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Boy View Post

S&W -

Looks like we're in a simialr situation with the Ultra's and wanting a new receiver/amp. I'll be getting my speakers 5/2 and will see how my Denon 2310ci performs with it. Regardless, I know there is better power available to give these Ultra's significantly improved sonic and dynamic capabillities. That said, and using your own description of the Onkyo being underwhelming, confirming my thinking about these commercial receivers, I don't think any of these "relatively inexpensive" commercial brands (Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Marantz) are going to accomplish what you want. Now this is just IMHO, but everything I've been reading/researching on receivers confirms this. This can be debated forever, and I'm always interested what others say. With this in mind, I'm looking at going with an Emotiva amp (XPA-5) and pre/pro which gives you 200w x5 of true rated power into 5 channels. Cost with the pre-amp is $1500. They have two channel amps as well. OR, an NAD T 757 receiver, rated at a TRUE 60w x 7. $1,199. In the real world, the NAD puts out 120 w into two channels or 88w into five channels, which is still better than most of the commercial receivers rated at 125w. Here's the thing, not all watts are created equal, IMO. I've had NAD before and it was the best sounding, most dynamic amp I've ever heard. This is a while ago but the reviews indicate they haven't moved far from their pedigree. Not very popular these days. Emotiva is "the internet darling" as Ed Mullen from SVS puts it. He said they're great, and they are very popular with users enthusiastically echoing that sentiment. Most people just love them for power and dynamics. Definitely worth a look.

Emotiva:

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/index.cgi

NAD:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers/T-757-A/V-Surround-Sound-Receiver

http://hometheaterreview.com/nad-t-757-av-surround-sound-receiver-reviewed/

Just to add, the NAD has minimal features. No video conversion, multEQ, streaming, usb ports, etc so that might not be what you're looking for. With NAD, their focus is sound, and sound only.

I appreciate your insight. At one point i was looking at getting that very same emotiva amp. However, my research shows that all amps sound the same when they are not being pushed to the point of clipping. See http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

Plus getting a commercial AVR gets me many features I won't find on many separates in the same price range.

post #41 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post

I appreciate your insight. At one point i was looking at getting that very same emotiva amp. However, my research shows that all amps sound the same when they are not being pushed to the point of clipping. See http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

Plus getting a commercial AVR gets me many features I won't find on many separates in the same price range.

Very funny, The NAD 2200 mentioned in that piece is the exact amp I had and it was phenomenal. I said IMO a few times and curious what others think because I'm very familiar with this debate. Personal experiences are all I've got to make judgements and form conclusions here. Forgetting the NAD, when I got the Denon three years ago it replaced a Yamaha rxv-995 similarly rated for power. The difference in sound was drastic from the second I turned the Denon on. You didn't need to switch the same piece of music twenty times between the two receivers to try and find some subtle difference in dynamics or separation. It was VERY evident within ten seconds. Not to say anything great about the Denon, just what a piece of crap the Yamaha was. IT was like night and day difference. My friend had a more powerful Yamaha and when I told him about the Denon, he ended up checking out newer receivers and ended up with a Harmon Kardon with less power then his Yamaha. When I heard his system, and we switched between the two and I'll never forget that it was Genesis Trick of the Tail and Steely Dan Aja, I was absolutely floored by the difference. It was like listening to a song on AM vs FM radio. It was a shockingly different experience. I'm just sayin. I think the Ultras will benefit from better (dynamic) power than what the Denon provides. After I have them all set up, and I think I'm going to get the center speaker as well, I'm planning on giving the NAD a try. I spoke to Crutchfield (60 day guarantee) about the NAD and told them about my situation that I would only keep it if it truly outperformed the Denon, and they were more than fine with it. So like the SVS, no risk for 60 days though return shipping isn't included. No big deal as $50 shipping is more then worth it to see for myself. The Emotivas I'm not totally convinced about yet.
post #42 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

eek.gif
Quote:

Very funny, The NAD 2200 mentioned in that piece is the exact amp I had and it was phenomenal. I said IMO a few times and curious what others think because I'm very familiar with this debate. Personal experiences are all I've got to make judgements and form conclusions here. Forgetting the NAD, when I got the Denon three years ago it replaced a Yamaha rxv-995 similarly rated for power. The difference in sound was drastic from the second I turned the Denon on. You didn't need to switch the same piece of music twenty times between the two receivers to try and find some subtle difference in dynamics or separation. It was VERY evident within ten seconds. Not to say anything great about the Denon, just what a piece of crap the Yamaha was. IT was like night and day difference. My friend had a more powerful Yamaha and when I told him about the Denon, he ended up checking out newer receivers and ended up with a Harmon Kardon with less power then his Yamaha. When I heard his system, and we switched between the two and I'll never forget that it was Genesis Trick of the Tail and Steely Dan Aja, I was absolutely floored by the difference. It was like listening to a song on AM vs FM radio. It was a shockingly different experience. I'm just sayin. I think the Ultras will benefit from better (dynamic) power than what the Denon provides. After I have them all set up, and I think I'm going to get the center speaker as well, I'm planning on giving the NAD a try. I spoke to Crutchfield (60 day guarantee) about the NAD and told them about my situation that I would only keep it if it truly outperformed the Denon, and they were more than fine with it. So like the SVS, no risk for 60 days though return shipping isn't included. No big deal as $50 shipping is more then worth it to see for myself. The Emotivas I'm not totally convinced about yet.

Did you do your tests sighted? I've seen some really well done professional reviews done by a panel of calibrated ears, they do sighted and blind tests on an array of speakers. Surprisingly the sighted and blind test results are sometimes very different(i.e. a speaker which does really well on the sighted test doesn't do so well on the blind test or visa versa ). Care should be taken when trusting ones ears when the eyes have a strong ability to influence what we hear smile.gif I have no doubt a better amp with larger capacitors and more wattage would sound noticeably different on movie content played back at reference level but I doubt many, if any can actually hear a difference during blind testing on most music content. Movies are way more demanding on speakers and components than most music. Also...were you listening to the AVRs/amps in pure direct mode? Different audio processing can color sound.

post #43 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

I have an ati 1506 siting in the closet after I got the denon 4310. Just pick up the sc1522k and I can't be happier. The 100lb ati amp did very little for me.
post #44 of 57 Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

post #45 of 57 Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithandWesson View Post

eek.gif
Did you do your tests sighted? I've seen some really well done professional reviews done by a panel of calibrated ears, they do sighted and blind tests on an array of speakers. Surprisingly the sighted and blind test results are sometimes very different(i.e. a speaker which does really well on the sighted test doesn't do so well on the blind test or visa versa ). Care should be taken when trusting ones ears when the eyes have a strong ability to influence what we hear smile.gif I have no doubt a better amp with larger capacitors and more wattage would sound noticeably different on movie content played back at reference level but I doubt many, if any can actually hear a difference during blind testing on most music content. Movies are way more demanding on speakers and components than most music. Also...were you listening to the AVRs/amps in pure direct mode? Different audio processing can color sound.

The tests were done pure direct with no EQ. At my friends place, he changed the receivers with my back turned so not the most scientifically accurate, but the difference was truly night and day. There was no mistaking the difference, and what I'm talking about specifically is the dynamics and clean sound. Hearing things you couldn't and how bass is delivered, more quickly and more powerful, and much cleaner. The change in dynamics is what really changed the whole experience, as I mentioned.

All I can say is if you have the chance to try a recever or amp other than the usual suspects, and I'm not implying that any of them are bad or don't perform decently, give it a try. You may conclude there is no difference. You may be shocked at what you hear. I listened to music for four hours yesterday on my Denon and had a blast. My current speakers are bothering my ears though which is why I ordered the SVS. Still can't wait to get them set up and listen. In the end, the Denon could be fine with the Ultras. That said, I think there are receivers/amps out there that will power the Ultras better and most importantly, deliver better sound through them. All of this is IMHO.
post #46 of 57 Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up a SC1522k. Loving the sound but I'm having video issues when watching TV if anyone here can help me out. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468370/new-receiver-annoying-issue-need-help

post #47 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Congrats S&W! Just looked at that receiver and it's very impressive looking and spec'd very nicely. Enjoy my friend!! If you have the time, talk about the sound the Ultra Tower's are producing now. Any details would be great. What you're listening to and the things you find remarkable as well as any shortcomings. With all the wonderful new euipment, you must be in heaven!
post #48 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM

How would the SVS Ultra's compare to the Klipsch RF-82 II floorstanding speakers?
post #49 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK01 View Post

How would the SVS Ultra's compare to the Klipsch RF-82 II floorstanding speakers?

I can't comment unfortunately as I've never heard those klipsch's before. I can say that I'm generally not a fan of klipsch as they are pretty bright and that the ultras should give almost any speaker in their price range a run for their money.

post #50 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Congrats S&W! Just looked at that receiver and it's very impressive looking and spec'd very nicely. Enjoy my friend!! If you have the time, talk about the sound the Ultra Tower's are producing now. Any details would be great. What you're listening to and the things you find remarkable as well as any shortcomings. With all the wonderful new euipment, you must be in heaven!

I had a really nice and long reply which i typed out on my phone but somehow it got deleted. Ill try and cover all the same bases as the one i lost.

I'm pretty happy with the 1522k. It's one hell of a deal($1,700 msrp) $630 out the door at Costco. I don't think there is any modern receiver with this many features that can touch this price. It's also has a class D amp which is kind of cool. I'm really enjoying MCACC. It may or may not be as good as audessy but having the ability to mod your own EQ without losing other room correction features and being able to switch to 6 different eq/room correction profiles on the fly is priceless. Sure, my sub doesn't get any EQ treatment with MCACC but THX BGC does wonders! Both Audessy and MCACC sounded flat and bright in stock trim...thats the beauty of MCACC. Dont like the way it sounds? Mess with it your hearts content. On to the speakers...

I had the opportunity to do a little bit of everything this weekend. Gaming, movie, TV and music.

Disclaimer: I'm use to the 7.2 surround sound system in my HT and I'm new to listening to stuff in stereo(2.1 in this case). It's not really a fair comparison but its all I have.

I'll start with what I wasn't super impressed with and end with what I was impressed with.

I watch James Bond Goldfinger in bluray with my girlfriend last night. I wasn't very impressed. Maybe it's because it's an old movie that's been transferred to bluray. It looked great but didn't sound that great. To my surprise I heard some sibilance. I'm hoping it was just the movie and not the speakers. Ill have to watch a modern movie in bluray or HD to investigate further but right now I think it may be the source.

I played some old school Call of Duty World at War. It sounded ok as well but not amazing. Again, games and movies are meant to be played on 5.1+ systems(IMO, I think most people would agree).

This setup did pretty well with TV. The ultras imaged well. Voices sounded like they were coming from the screen. These speakers have a great sound bubble for TV. Off axis listening is still good.

Ill finish with a very positive note. I will be the first to tell you I am not a fan of country music. You could say I hate it. However, it's my girlfriends favorite genre so I let her play some of her favorite songs off her MacBook Air(256 AAC I presume).
I was really impressed. For the first time ever I could actually listen to country without running away. Voices were very detailed and string instruments had great texture. I tried out the stereo listening mode using one of my custom MCACC profiles and pure direct. To my surprise pure direct sounded better. On pure direct the imaging improved significantly and the music seemed more transparent and live. The reason I was surprised is because I usually don't like pure direct as it sounds too bright and flat. Ill have to do more experimentation, I have a feeling that pure direct will only sound better with certain types of music, but it's worth noting.

I want to remind everyone that my listening room is not optimal. The ultras are probably feeling pretty claustrophobic. I once listened to some $15,000 B&W 802s powered by some Macintosh amps. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I would be. Reason? The room they were in. I'm sure they would have done much better in an optimal room.

It may sound like I'm being really hard on the Ultras...and I am a bit. I'm fairly picky and it's hard to wow me. I'm still very happy with my purchase and can't wait to explore my new setup more.

Edit: I accidentally activated my phones speech to text function while i was talking to a friend so there was some random words and sentences inserted into my post before. My apologies.

post #51 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
It may sound like I'm being really hard on the Ultras...and I am a bit. I'm fairly picky and it's hard to wow me. I'm still very happy with my purchase and can't wait to explore my new setup more.

If you are still happy with your new speakers, that's all that counts. Glad they are working out for you.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #52 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK01 View Post

I have heard both...

To start the easy way...

Bass: The RF-82II are ok in the bass department. According to Klipsch website they get down to 33Hz-24KHz ± 3dB ... That may or not be true in individual rooms but it does not say at what output it gets down to 33... but let me tell you SVS bass is HUGE.

The bass will blow you away. The bass beats the crap out of the RF-7II IMO.

Highs...now the SVS has a metal tweeter and is a tad shrill at higher levels... To me the RF-82II were a tad harsh at all levels.

The mids are more full and slightly more detailed on SVS compared to the RF-82II.

SVS IMO beat out the RF-82II on every point.

That being said..let us keep in mind that these cost 40% more per speaker. The RF-82II retail at 600 bucks and the SVS retail at 1k. Are they 40 percent better? If you are asking me yes... A better comparison would be the RF-7II to be honest. Now that is a tougher call...

I would still give the nod to the SVS throwing in the cost there is zero doubt the SVS wins because the RF-7II retail at 1600.
post #53 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Did some more listening with pure direct and normal stereo. On some content the difference is huge. On some it's really hard to tell the difference. It seems that when I switch to pure direct the imaging gets way better. The sound stage gets anchored in the center and moves up a foot or two. Sometimes in normal stereo mode I can localize the voices near the tweeters and the sound stage falls apart. It's interesting how it changes from source to source. I wonder why, maybe it's how it was recorded?

post #54 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Appreciate those comments SW. I'm in a rush to get out of here, but shocked at the $630 cost. WOW! >$1500 on Amazon. More to say later...
post #55 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

The SC1522k runs SUPER cold. Class D amp ftw. This thing needs almost no ventilation. I ran it for well over an hour at modest listening levels and it was less hot than a typical AVR on which is just on and not playing music lol.

post #56 of 57 Old 05-03-2013, 10:43 AM

It's been a few weeks, just got back from Florida and expecting my Ultras to be delivered today. Beyond excited for them! How are you liking yours as you've now had a good amount of time with them and the new receiver?
post #57 of 57 Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's been a few weeks, just got back from Florida and expecting my Ultras to be delivered today. Beyond excited for them! How are you liking yours as you've now had a good amount of time with them and the new receiver?

I got it all dialed in. Still happy with both the receiver and speakers. Nothing else to report.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page