Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-21-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have audio dealer background -

Emerging from fatherhood as our last little one is now a responsible 12 yr old! So out came my vintage gear with some new tweaks.
WOW - the industry has changed for the good & no-so-good!

In our shop we set out for the elusive "purity in sonics/sound stage" quest. Back then VINYL RULED, and digital was troubled. There were ways you could do it in the 80's without breaking the bank. Now I see used prices for some our old gear selling for as much as its retail! But ...because it was built that well.

Came across a pair of MA PM702 monitors and after a brief audition had to have them! Great dimensionality, smooth & silky highs, nice detail and layering, and a fair amount of bass authority for a little 2 way box!

So I write as I read many posts here asking "which receiver should I use". I would just like to put forth the idea to pick up some good used equipment ex: a Rotel 15xx series surround preamp or Arcam AVR 700 series & tie it to a 100 w or so high current 2 channel amp (Bedini, SAS, Parasound, Perreaux, VSP, Musical Concepts mod Hafler etc) for the front stereo & a 3 channel amp for the rears/center (5.1 w/sub) what fun you can have!!! The above can be found for under 2000- which by some high end receivers selling price is a wash, but what a difference in sonics!

With this set up I am amazed what these little boxes can reveal! The addition of a Shunyata power cord brought revelations of placement & imaging ... I was jaw dropped. Added the Bedini Qudra Beam Clarifier - what another level of discernible musicality!
Keep writing folks enjoy your insights.

Spkrs: frt: MA PM 702, ctr: MA 12, rear: KEF IC 6"
Pre: Arcam AVR700
Stereo Amp: Goetz (Bedini 150 MkII coming soon!)
Surround Amp: Rotel RB 985 mkII
CD transport: Sony ES 70?
DVD: Pansonic BD 75
Cables: Shunyata PCd,
Spkr Cable: AQ Bedrock
Interconnect: AQ FMS Blue, AQ Brown
Screen: Hitachi ?? 55" LCD
Indispensable add-on: Bedini Quad Clarifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heb 11 6 View Post

Have audio dealer background -

Emerging from fatherhood as our last little one is now a responsible 12 yr old! So out came my vintage gear with some new tweaks.
WOW - the industry has changed for the good & no-so-good!

In our shop we set out for the elusive "purity in sonics/sound stage" quest. Back then VINYL RULED, and digital was troubled. There were ways you could do it in the 80's without breaking the bank. Now I see used prices for some our old gear selling for as much as its retail! But ...because it was built that well.

Came across a pair of MA PM702 monitors and after a brief audition had to have them! Great dimensionality, smooth & silky highs, nice detail and layering, and a fair amount of bass authority for a little 2 way box!

So I write as I read many posts here asking "which receiver should I use". I would just like to put forth the idea to pick up some good used equipment ex: a Rotel 15xx series surround preamp or Arcam AVR 700 series & tie it to a 100 w or so high current 2 channel amp (Bedini, SAS, Parasound, Perreaux, VSP, Musical Concepts mod Hafler etc) for the front stereo & a 3 channel amp for the rears/center (5.1 w/sub) what fun you can have!!! The above can be found for under 2000- which by some high end receivers selling price is a wash, but what a difference in sonics!

With this set up I am amazed what these little boxes can reveal! The addition of a Shunyata power cord brought revelations of placement & imaging ... I was jaw dropped. Added the Bedini Qudra Beam Clarifier - what another level of discernible musicality!
Keep writing folks enjoy your insights.

Spkrs: frt: MA PM 702, ctr: MA 12, rear: KEF IC 6"
Pre: Arcam AVR700
Stereo Amp: Goetz (Bedini 150 MkII coming soon!)
Surround Amp: Rotel RB 985 mkII
CD transport: Sony ES 70?
DVD: Pansonic BD 75
Cables: Shunyata PCd,
Spkr Cable: AQ Bedrock
Interconnect: AQ FMS Blue, AQ Brown
Screen: Hitachi ?? 55" LCD
Indispensable add-on: Bedini Quad Clarifier

You are a candidate for cable elevators. If you try them please report back with the improvements.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Don't know the Bedini but a Houdini will make speakers disappear in a room! biggrin.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page