What are good small speakers (set of 5 needed - relatively inexpensive) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a room that has a weird setup since the tv is right next to a opening door. Because of the door I cannot place tower fronts in the corners. See the picture attached

ed.

The area in front of the tv is also a common walking area when the tv is not in use off. This means I do not want speakers that stick out too far.

What speakers should I get?

I currently have a

Yamaha rx-v473 (I love the airplay feature, its what sold me, i can still return it)
Klipsch rw-12d (I wanted a large and powerful sub, I can still return it)

I was looking at klipsch quintet speakers since they are fairly small. These may even be too large since my tv sticks out 2 inches and those speakers are 6 inches wide.

I was also looking at Onkyo, LG, and Samsung HTIB. Those speakers are very small, but I would have to return everything I have and miss out on airplay.

I also looked at in wall speakers.

http://www.frys.com/product/7395714?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdk1091 View Post

I have a room that has a weird setup since the tv is right next to a opening door. Because of the door I cannot place tower fronts in the corners. See the picture attached

ed.

The area in front of the tv is also a common walking area when the tv is not in use off. This means I do not want speakers that stick out too far.

What speakers should I get?

I currently have a

Yamaha rx-v473 (I love the airplay feature, its what sold me, i can still return it)
Klipsch rw-12d (I wanted a large and powerful sub, I can still return it)

I was looking at klipsch quintet speakers since they are fairly small. These may even be too large since my tv sticks out 2 inches and those speakers are 6 inches wide.

I was also looking at Onkyo, LG, and Samsung HTIB. Those speakers are very small, but I would have to return everything I have and miss out on airplay.

I also looked at in wall speakers.

http://www.frys.com/product/7395714?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

What is your budget please?

How big is your room?

What is the actual maximum size of speakers you could put on the side and top of the tv?(Height, width and depth)

What are you listening too and how much?

Thanks.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM

This may not be an option but could you move the tv to the wall that the door is on? Basically move the sofa (the one on the right) and put the tv there, then move the sofa to a freestanding position in front of the tv. I just ask because your room looks very similar to mine. You may then have more room to get nice bookshelves and put them on some stands. Anyway... just a thought. I will leave the equipment recommendations up to the experts but I have Energy speakers: Connoisseur line and Veritas Minis and they sound great to me, mixed with my Klipsch RW-12d. I am easy to please though biggrin.gif

post #4 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Martin Logan MLT-2s. You can find them for around $350. They are rebadged Paradigm Cinema 90s. Here are two reviews:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_3/paradigm-cinema-speakers-9-2002.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/separate-speakers/paradigm-cinema-90/4505-7869_7-7934264.html

Then sell the sub or use it another room smile.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner6 View Post

What is your budget please?

How big is your room?

What is the actual maximum size of speakers you could put on the side and top of the tv?(Height, width and depth)

What are you listening too and how much?

Thanks.

Budget. Please under $300, maybe $400.

I don't care about height and width of the speakers. A 4 inch depth looked very nice. I still have see how a 6 inch speaker would stick out. 8inchs+ I probably wont want.

The room is about 25x25 foot. Im not trying to drive the neighbors crazy with sound, so I wont be turning the sattelites as high as you think.

I listen to everything, rap, rock, classic rock, dubstep, country, techno you name it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j76ms View Post

This may not be an option but could you move the tv to the wall that the door is on? Basically move the sofa (the one on the right) and put the tv there, then move the sofa to a freestanding position in front of the tv. I just ask because your room looks very similar to mine. You may then have more room to get nice bookshelves and put them on some stands. Anyway... just a thought. I will leave the equipment recommendations up to the experts but I have Energy speakers: Connoisseur line and Veritas Minis and they sound great to me, mixed with my Klipsch RW-12d. I am easy to please though biggrin.gif

I cannot reposition the room that way since that corner has windows over there, and i cant mount the tv to a window. I also cant have the tv off axis, since the recent samsung tv's have horrible viewing angles. I have both a es7100 and a d6500 in the house.

thanks for the recommendation. Ill look then up.

Thanks for the martin logan recommendation. Ill look them up. Did you mean sell the ML sub and keep the klipsh? I think 10inchs will definatly be to small. Its a very big room.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Yep. Keep the RW-12d. Much better sub biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Would it make sense getting small fronts + center but then coupling it with larger rears?

It seems that the small speakers seem to hit 120hz.
While my sub is rated to hit 120hz.

Now while speakers reach upper and lower rated limits, they dont do it well.

What if i couple the small front sattelite speakers, with large rears to provide that mid bass 60hz+ range that would be lacking. Kind of like the sub setup in car audio, they dont have much depth to work with either.

Im thinking either 3 energy take classic or 3 energy veritas v mini, coupled with 2 energy CB-20's. Any other manufactures besides energy that I should look into?
post #8 of 8 Old 03-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Would it make sense getting small fronts + center but then coupling it with larger rears?

Probably not. The ideal configuration in theory is five identical speakers, but in practice you can usually get away with using smaller surrounds before you can smaller fronts, and large surrounds will not make up for small fronts in any meaningful way with the vast majority of soundtracks.
Quote:

It seems that the small speakers seem to hit 120hz.

And that's usually only with limited output--turn up the volume to exciting levels (normal for home theater), and their mid-bass output will usually peter out pretty quickly, giving you a "thin" sounding system unless the subwoofer can make up for it, and most, I would wager, cannot.
Quote:

While my sub is rated to hit 120hz.

Yes, it has output at 120 Hz, but it's starting to get pretty weak at that point. I really, really try to convince people, if I can, to cross over to the sub at no lower than 100 Hz, even if their sub has strong output in the mid-bass (and some do), because there are other considerations such as being able to "localize" sounds as coming from the direction of the sub. 80 Hz is even better, and is my default recommendation; lower than 80 Hz can sometimes sound a little better if your speakers have the capability, but then you're putting more stress on the receiver (if that's all you have to power the speakers).
Quote:

Now while speakers reach upper and lower rated limits, they dont do it well.

Right, subs and other speakers alike can get sloppy in addition to weak near their extremes, especially since with crossovers we're talking about slopes rather than a "brick wall" where the two frequency ranges are handed off.
Quote:

What if i couple the small front sattelite speakers, with large rears to provide that mid bass 60hz+ range that would be lacking. Kind of like the sub setup in car audio, they dont have much depth to work with either.

That's an interesting idea, but it depends on whether your receiver can be set up to do this, and even if it could, you still may get some localization to the surrounds (it'd still be an improvement, though, IF you can make it happen).
Quote:

Im thinking either 3 energy take classic or 3 energy veritas v mini, coupled with 2 energy CB-20's.

Of these two, go for the V-Mini at the front if you possibly can, or better yet three V-Mini-Cs at the front. You could probably cross them over even at 100 Hz with satisfactory results, or higher if necessary with better results than with true satellite speakers.
Quote:

Any other manufactures besides energy that I should look into?

Yes, if you could tolerate somewhat larger and/or more expensive speakers than the V-Mini and V-Mini-C.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page