Please help! Need advice on 'vertical surround' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a home theater in a box, the Samsung 5.1 setup. It's good enough for me and I am happy with the sound.

But I have a question. The Blu-Ray player supports 3D but I do not use this feature as I cannot stand 3D. It has these sound settings called "vertical surround" and the options of Low, Off and High. I have the surround speakers position a little behind and to the sides of my listening position, and when the vertical surround is on High, I got all the little extra sounds like people laughing in the background and stuff, but everything else playing out of the surround speakers is SO LOUD. And playing piratically right in my ears. It basically sounds like whatever is playing out of the regular speakers plays out of these too, and I thought that only certain sounds came out of surround speakers, that's why I am thinking 'High' is the wrong setting. Turning it on Low or Off and I still get effects but my subwoofer isn't as active when the vertical is turned off. It's barely there at all when the vertical is turned off. I have the surrounds at the lowest volume level.

So here's my question - what does the vertical surround do, exactly? Does it need to be on? Am I giving myself TOO much sound from the speakers? Or should I try to move them further back, along the back wall, about 4 feet from where I am sitting? I read the side placement is ideal for 5.1. but the sound from the speakers seems overwhelming in that position. And why would the subwoofer not be as active when vertical surround is off?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMonkey1 View Post

I bought a home theater in a box, the Samsung 5.1 setup. It's good enough for me and I am happy with the sound.

Good, don't hang around here too long, then, unless you want a hole burned in your pocket! wink.gif
Quote:

But I have a question. The Blu-Ray player supports 3D but I do not use this feature as I cannot stand 3D. It has these sound settings called "vertical surround" and the options of Low, Off and High.

I believe this is what Samsung calls Dolby Pro Logic IIz's new front "height" channels, at least according to what one of Samsung's manuals says. For more information:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iiz-details.html
Quote:

I have the surround speakers position a little behind and to the sides of my listening position, and when the vertical surround is on High, I got all the little extra sounds like people laughing in the background and stuff, but everything else playing out of the surround speakers is SO LOUD. And playing piratically right in my ears. It basically sounds like whatever is playing out of the regular speakers plays out of these too,

Huh...maybe I was wrong...although it does seem as though the height channels are possibly being played through your surrounds.... Does your receiver only have five speaker outputs (plus the subwoofer output), or does it have seven? Does it have Pro Logic IIz, IIx, or II? What model name/number is your system?
Quote:

and I thought that only certain sounds came out of surround speakers,

The surround channels can contain whatever a movie's director and re-recording mixers wish to place in them. Some movies only use them occasionally, some put mostly ambiance and reverberation in them, and others even put full-range, high-fidelity content such as music, directional voices, and loud effects, so in general you wouldn't want to assume too much. That said, one general assumption that is fairly safe to make is that aside from some exceptions that should be obvious from the context, the surrounds should not be overpowering the fronts.
Quote:

that's why I am thinking 'High' is the wrong setting. Turning it on Low or Off and I still get effects but my subwoofer isn't as active when the vertical is turned off. It's barely there at all when the vertical is turned off. I have the surrounds at the lowest volume level.

I'm pretty sure that this setting should be Off in your case. As for the relative loudness levels of your subwoofer and surrounds, they should be turned up if they're too quiet. Use the "Test Tone" feature of your AVR to help match the loudness of these speakers with that of your front speakers.
Quote:

So here's my question - what does the vertical surround do, exactly? Does it need to be on? Am I giving myself TOO much sound from the speakers?

If you answer some of my questions above, then maybe I will be able to answer yours...I'll try my best, anyway.
Quote:

Or should I try to move them further back, along the back wall, about 4 feet from where I am sitting? I read the side placement is ideal for 5.1. but the sound from the speakers seems overwhelming in that position.

Yes, side placement would be ideal, with the surround speakers pointed toward each other. Slightly behind and a couple of feet above ear height are also popular recommendations. They should not, however, be right next to anybody's ears. If they are, then move them to the sides as far as you can, and if you cannot do this, then move them back 2-3 feet and rotate them forward toward the central viewer.
Quote:

And why would the subwoofer not be as active when vertical surround is off?

I have no idea at this point, but whatever the reason, turn and leave the vertical surround feature off, and then recalibrate the levels of your system.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
The model number is Samsung HT-E6730W and yes, it has inputs for all speakers. Thanks for replying!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

The model number is Samsung HT-E6730W

OK, I've managed to do some research, and I'm at least somewhat familiar with what is going on now, so I can take another shot at your original post. First I have to say that this thing is kind of wacky, like it's from a parallel home theater universe or something. wink.gif
Quote:

It has these sound settings called "vertical surround" and the options of Low, Off and High. I have the surround speakers position a little behind and to the sides of my listening position, and when the vertical surround is on High, I got all the little extra sounds like people laughing in the background and stuff, but everything else playing out of the surround speakers is SO LOUD.

I'm still not sure about the specifics, but from reading numerous comments and reviews, it seems that the "vertical surround" feature--often called "3D sound" instead for some reason--does a bunch of things. First of all it activates the "front top" or "height" speakers that apparently sit right above the left & right front speakers, as part of the same units. I didn't realize this at first (why would I? eek.gif), but these "tall boy" speakers actually have two channels each, and therefore two amplifiers and speaker cables for each. This doesn't make any sense to me, but it is what it is. The processing that derives the two additional "top" or "height" channels is also turned on, and what comes out of the speakers depends on whom you believe--some people claim that they're real height channels (that are placed immediately above the regular left & right speakers?), while others claim that they merely duplicate the speakers immediately below them. The processing, whatever it actually does, is something that Samsung came up with, as opposed to Dolby Pro Logic IIz.

But that's not all. Just as you reported, others have said that the surrounds are getting some or all of the content of the fronts, perhaps in order to wrap soundtracks around viewers (is this what "3D sound" refers to?), and the surrounds are also boosted in loudness. Likewise the subwoofer is heavily boosted in loudness, reportedly. In addition, some people have complained about hearing an echo effect from the height channels, but feel that they are forced to use this feature because the subwoofer barely seems to work without it. frown.gif I can't test this myself, but this is to let you know that others have experienced the same issues. If you can get your system calibrated and sounding decent with "vertical surround" turned off, then that would be my recommendation, but I'm not sure what is possible, only that this system does weird things. Maybe you could compromise with the Low setting if that helps ameliorate the issues while making the system sound fuller overall, but I really think that it should be turned off if that would work.
Quote:

So here's my question - what does the vertical surround do, exactly?

Aside from what I've already described, it is supposed to give you height channels that supposedly make the sound more "3D"--normally even surround sound is at your ear level, and the "front top" speakers are meant to be tilted to where they make some sounds seem to come from above the viewers (maybe by bouncing it off the ceiling?). Frankly it seems like a bogus feature to me, and it does a lot of other bogus things with the system, too. All such processing, except for Pro Logic II for two-channel sources, should be turned off, in my opinion--this goes for all AVRs, including high-end ones.
Quote:

Does it need to be on?

Some people say that it does need to be on, or else the system sounds like crap, but the problem is that it makes the system sound crappy in different ways when it's on. frown.gif I hope that you can prove them wrong with regard to the former.
Quote:

Am I giving myself TOO much sound from the speakers? Or should I try to move them further back, along the back wall, about 4 feet from where I am sitting? I read the side placement is ideal for 5.1. but the sound from the speakers seems overwhelming in that position. And why would the subwoofer not be as active when vertical surround is off?

All of these questions have apparently been answered now--"vertical surround" should not change how the side surrounds sound and what they play, or the subwoofer for that matter, but it does because that's how Samsung decided to make it work. rolleyes.gif

I hope that I have been of some help, even though my answers boil down to your system working strangely by design, and not behaving as a reasonable home theater enthusiast would expect. Here are a couple of other resources to peruse, including an owner's thread for your system in the HTIB forum:
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatersystemreview/fr/Samsung-Ht-E6730w-3d-Blu-Ray-Home-Theater-System-With-Vacuum-Tube-Audio-Review.htm
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450392/official-samsung-ht-e6730w-ht-e6750w-owners-thread/0_100

You may want to post whatever questions you still have in that thread, where other owners may be able to help you more directly.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page