Stand mounts vs wall mounts ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
There are many choices for stand mounts for "bookshelf" speakers and seems there are a few wall mount options.

What is (in you opinion) the best way to go to position larger bookshelf speakers - wall or stand? (Why and what products do you recommend?)

What is a definite "NO" to watch out for with respect to either?

Look forward to some sage responses here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Somewhat depends on the speaker. For example, a rear ported speaker usually works better out from the wall better than a wall mount can provide (at least without using port plugs). More to the point is what you're thinking about with what speakers, like how do you define a large bookshelf?

post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It depends... In almost all cases it is preferable to have the speakers away from the wall to prevent reverberations especially bass reverb which can muddle things, make them sound boomy and boxy...

Now the extent you are compromising sound quality by wall mounting vs. stand mounting depends on several factors:

1) How is the speaker ported? (If rear ported then wall mounting can impact sound quality more than if it is sealed or front ported.

a) How low does the bass go on the speaker / where do you cross over to a subwoofer -- This relates to the porting ...even rear ported speakers can sound good (minor SQ compromise) if the bass does not go too low or it is crossed at 80 or above (normally want to avoid above 80 due to sub localization.)

2) Size / Shape of room. Your own personal listening preferences.

___

So on the watch out list is rear ported speakers... I think in almost all situations a rear ported speaker SQ is comprised to varying degrees...sometimes negligable sometimes much more.

The stability of the wall mount. It needs to be rock stable...so does your bookshelf mount though... Basically you want to couple or isolate the speakers to the highest degree possible. (big debates on weather coupling or isolating is better...or if in fact they are the same thing...confusing I know)

Anyway...little rambling since wife is calling...but there ya go...I think.

On a stable wall mount a front ported and sealed unit will not have any readily apparent sound quality degregation... Now I am sure someone much more knowledgable than me is going to correct me... biggrin.gif
post #4 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
And somewhat depends on your room, and it's limitations.

I use the same 'large bookshelf' speaker for fronts and surrounds, but have my front L and R on stands, and my surrounds are on wall mounts. Due to the room layout, I really don't have much choice. The surrounds are in a fixed position, but I can play around with the placement for the fronts (somewhat) and I think it's more important to get the fronts right, so I appreciate the flexibility stands offer.

IMO, of course, and YMMV.
Joseph

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #5 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

For the sake of discussion perhaps let's give examples and put them all above 10 lbs.

Front ported
Rear ported
no ports
then we have items such as the GoldenEar Aons which are not ported by have on the sides, passive bass and also Definitive Tech Studio Monitor 65 which has also passive bass but on top.

If I understand correctly - Front ported could be wall mounted if care is taken.
Rear ported are better served by stands and moved away from the wall.
Contained (no ports) could be wall mounted if care is taken.

This leaves items like the AONs and SM 65 still in question. AON3 produce sound from front and sides, SM 65 from front and top. Any thoughts?

For 10lb and above speakers, what are good stands to use and what are definitely ones to stay way from that are well known and the same for wall mounts?
post #6 of 7 Old 03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I use Sanus stands, the steel series, rated to 35 lbs (very conservative, IMO... they are steel tubes) , and Pinpoint AM40B wall mounts, rated for... 50 lbs (according to Amazon listing... had to check) with HSU HB1 mk 2 speakers, which weigh 14 lbs. May seem like overkill, but I wanted to purchase the right tool the first time. smile.gif

There is a very similar wall mount, the VideoSecu MS56B, for about half the price of the Pinpoints, that looks identical, and lists a weight rating of 55 lbs, according to the Amazon listing, but I have no direct experience with it. If I recall correctly, it uses 2 bolts, versus 3 for the Pinpoints. I did test the ones I used, after putting them on the wall, by hanging from it, so I know mine will hold 180 lbs eek.gif , at least temporarily. I don't recommend that... I just wanted to know. I like overkill, but , of course, YMMV.

What a long, strange trip its been....
post #7 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

I use Sanus stands, the steel series, rated to 35 lbs (very conservative, IMO... they are steel tubes) , and Pinpoint AM40B wall mounts, rated for... 50 lbs (according to Amazon listing... had to check) with HSU HB1 mk 2 speakers, which weigh 14 lbs. May seem like overkill, but I wanted to purchase the right tool the first time. smile.gif

There is a very similar wall mount, the VideoSecu MS56B, for about half the price of the Pinpoints, that looks identical, and lists a weight rating of 55 lbs, according to the Amazon listing, but I have no direct experience with it. If I recall correctly, it uses 2 bolts, versus 3 for the Pinpoints. I did test the ones I used, after putting them on the wall, by hanging from it, so I know mine will hold 180 lbs eek.gif , at least temporarily. I don't recommend that... I just wanted to know. I like overkill, but , of course, YMMV.

By any chance, could you upload a pic of your wall mounted AONs please.

I have Sanus stands too (30") and will be mounting the speakers with the Pinpoints. I was hoping to see how they look via your efforts. Thanks in advance
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page