How important (really..) are good surround speakers? - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 96 Old 02-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
7.2 surround question

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead,but my question involves my sony dh740 7.2 receiver and a assortment of speakers ive acquired over the years. my fronts are (and will be for a long time) Yamaha NS-A2836 towers.my center is currently an RCA PRO LS20(will be upgrading at some time). whats left are 2 different bookshelf speakers. one pair is sony SS MB100H, and the other a recently purchased MICCA MB42X pair. my first question would be which is better,the mica or the sony? I ssume the micca but am not positive. the second question is which pair would you place as the front highs and which pair would you use as the surrounds? any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 02-21-2015, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It

You've got quite a bit of mismatching going on; not ideal, but if it works, is what matters. It would be hard to give an opinion on the Mica or Sony since, again all the other speakers are different. I would suggest center and rear surrounds if that isn't what you meant. I'd probably start with a pair in each location and then switch and determine which sounded/sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetz71 View Post
sorry to bring this thread back from the dead,but my question involves my sony dh740 7.2 receiver and a assortment of speakers ive acquired over the years. my fronts are (and will be for a long time) Yamaha NS-A2836 towers.my center is currently an RCA PRO LS20(will be upgrading at some time). whats left are 2 different bookshelf speakers. one pair is sony SS MB100H, and the other a recently purchased MICCA MB42X pair. my first question would be which is better,the mica or the sony? I ssume the micca but am not positive. the second question is which pair would you place as the front highs and which pair would you use as the surrounds? any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks.
post #93 of 96 Old 02-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 23
You've got quite a bit of mismatching going on; not ideal, but if it works, is what matters. It would be hard to give an opinion on the Mica or Sony since, again all the other speakers are different. I would suggest center and rear surrounds if that isn't what you meant. I'd probably start with a pair in each location and then switch and determine which sounded/sounds better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetz71 View Post
post #94 of 96 Old 02-21-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post

no,i meant that assuming the miccas are better speakers than the sony(if they are?),would I use them as front height or side surround. I guess im asking if you had to choose either front height or side surround,where would your better speakers go? which one is more important in 7.2?
post #95 of 96 Old 02-21-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3incorp View Post
no,im asking which of the speakers (mica or sony) are better,and would you place the better pair as the front height or side surrounds? is one surround more important? I do not have room behind me for rear surrounds.
post #96 of 96 Old 04-20-2015, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csgamer View Post
So do you think it would be wiser to forego better fronts to match surrounds? Like mentioned in this thread regarding infinity p163 for all 5 channels. That versus having 2 infinity p363 and 3 x p163's for center and surround.
An another similar question would be comparing a 7.x setup of mismatched speakers (eg. 3 x P363 + 4 x P153 ) to a 5.x setup ( 5 x P363 ) .
Also assuming that the back speakers (for 5.x) are placed somewhere in between side and rear positions of 7.x setup...

The question is which is a more pronounced change...

Last edited by Hifisound; 04-20-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers