NHT speaker - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #61 of 78 Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I added a photo from zillow of the previous owner's setup, circling the speakers. They had the center and the right front sitting side by side. I will be mounting a flat screen above the fireplace and putting the center either above or below the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Previous Setup.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	236177  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 08-29-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1492 View Post
I added a photo from zillow of the previous owner's setup, circling the speakers. They had the center and the right front sitting side by side. I will be mounting a flat screen above the fireplace and putting the center either above or below the TV.
Hi Ben,

Since your location looks like you need to keep the speakers in a horizontal position (if using the same spots), I'd recommend the NHT M5's (they can only found as used). There is a set on Ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHT-M5-Books...item4adb0d21f0

If you can give us the measurements of the area you want to place the sub-woofer, that would help a lot on recommendations.
ben1492 likes this.

Ray

"Listen with an open heart and mind."

post #63 of 78 Old 08-30-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavchameleon View Post
Hi Ben,

Since your location looks like you need to keep the speakers in a horizontal position (if using the same spots), I'd recommend the NHT M5's (they can only found as used). There is a set on Ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHT-M5-Books...item4adb0d21f0

If you can give us the measurements of the area you want to place the sub-woofer, that would help a lot on recommendations.
Thanks so much. I just put an offer in for those two speakers, and will keep my eyes peeled for a 3rd to use as a center. We are out of town for Labor Day, so I can't measure the space for the subwoofer in the cabinet. I will do so on Monday when I get home. I'm guessing the cabinet space is at least 16WX24DX36H. I circled the cabinet where it would go in the new photo...there are no shelves on the side for the subwoofer, so I can use the entire space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Previous Setup.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	237242  
post #64 of 78 Old 08-30-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
They had the center and the right front sitting side by side. I will be mounting a flat screen above the fireplace and putting the center either above or below the TV.
Your plan to put the TV in the center of the room will be a great improvement (even though a position above the fireplace will have its own challenges). Your front speakers don't have to match the surrounds, but NHT speakers use a sealed acoustic suspension design and are one of the few "bookshelf" speakers that actually work well on a bookshelf.

NHT Evolution M5
Dimensions 7.75"W x 17.75"H x 8.5"D

The used Evolution M5 are a great idea if they fit and the seller is willing to guarantee their safe arrival. I've bought used speakers and had them shipped, make sure the seller ships in original boxes and ask for double box or wrapped in an additional layer of cardboard. "Professional" packing by a shipping store is a joke and not sufficient to get them to you undamaged. I would also check to see if the speaker grilles are available from NHT in case they are damaged (NHT sent me a free grille one time!) - they often are damaged in shipping.

The reason these speakers will work well horizontally is the tweeter over the mid-range, this gives the speaker better horizontal dispersion (spread of sound) and makes sounds and dialog clear and understandable from any location in the room. The new NHT center speakers also feature this design an would work equally as well if you want to buy something new

Horizontal L, R, Center: NHT TwoC Center Channel Speaker

ben1492 likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD

Last edited by mtn-tech; 08-30-2014 at 10:18 AM.
post #65 of 78 Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Thanks so much. I just put an offer in for those two speakers, and will keep my eyes peeled for a 3rd to use as a center. We are out of town for Labor Day, so I can't measure the space for the subwoofer in the cabinet.
That is a good option for you - and that is a good Ebay seller, with a 99.8% rating for over 5,800 reviews.
They do deal with a lot of speakers, and test their speakers out.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Home-Speaker...=valueauctions

The Evolution speakers do tend to pop up again from time to time - there is a nice chance that
you will find another one.
ben1492 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30

Last edited by zieglj01; 08-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.
post #66 of 78 Old 08-30-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed! Keep an eye out on Ebay for another Evolution M5. I'd suggest you also check your local Craigslist as they have popped up here once in a while. They were a great series of speakers!

As for the sub, since you're placing it within a cavity, I'd recommend a sealed version. If going with a ported one, make sure it's a front facing port.
mtn-tech and ben1492 like this.

Ray

post #67 of 78 Old 08-31-2014, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As for the sub, since you're placing it within a cavity, I'd recommend a sealed version. If going with a ported one, make sure it's a front facing port.
+1 - internet direct subs give you a lot more for your money - SVS is a good one and both sealed and ported subs are front facing (drivers and ports):

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/ported-box
http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box
ben1492 likes this.

2-Ch (HT L/R): Oppo BDP-105 BD, Adcom GFP-750 pre, Bryston 10B Sub Xover, Bryston 4BSST2 / Paradigm Signature S4 v.2 (L/R), (2) SVS SB12-NSD (Subs)
Home Theater: Bryston 4BSST2 amp / Paradigm CC-590 (C), Outlaw 7700 amp / (4) Def Tech UIW-RSSII (LS/RS/LB/RB), Samsung 46” 3D LCD
post #68 of 78 Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I went ahead with mtn-tech's recommendation and bought an NHT TwoC center channel. I'm down to two options in my price range for the subwoofer and would like some opinions before pulling the trigger:

This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHT-Twelve-H...item2a423b93b6

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SVS-SB-1000-...item23386c3b1b
post #69 of 78 Old 08-31-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Both NHT and SVS make very good low priced subs. All other things being equal (power, woofer size, etc) ported subs will play lower and louder and are considered by most to be better for home theater, sealed subs are smaller and less boomy and are considered by most to be better for music.

If you want very smooth, balanced, loud bass the tradeoff is to get two (possibly smaller) subs - this wiLl increase your placement options and smooth out your bass.

If you buy an SVS sub, I would recommend buying it directly from them - their return policy and "buyer bill of rights" are very good benefits and the prices are the same as other sellers.
ben1492 likes this.

post #70 of 78 Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I went ahead with mtn-tech's recommendation and bought an NHT TwoC center channel. I'm down to two options in my price range for the subwoofer and would like some opinions before pulling the trigger:

This:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NHT-Twelve-H...item2a423b93b6

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SVS-SB-1000-...item23386c3b1b
That NHT model is one of their older ones that is ported. Their newer ones are sealed designs:
http://www.nhthifi.com/Subwoofers

The other dealer is a certified SVS dealer (onecall.com or their ebay store). But as mtn-tech stated, it's better to get it directly from SVS as it's the same price with free shipping included:

SVS is a great ID company that backs their equipment, hard to beat customer service, and great products.
ben1492 likes this.

Ray

post #71 of 78 Old 09-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
That NHT model is one of their older ones that is ported. Their newer ones are sealed designs:
http://www.nhthifi.com/Subwoofers

The other dealer is a certified SVS dealer (onecall.com or their ebay store). But as mtn-tech stated, it's better to get it directly from SVS as it's the same price with free shipping included:

SVS is a great ID company that backs their equipment, hard to beat customer service, and great products.
Coming back to the well one more time. The installer recommended that instead of using the NHT TwoC I go with an In-Wall speaker for the center channel. I'm using a subwoofer, so do I gain anything if I go with the NHT iW4 as opposed to the cheaper (and "useder") iW3?
post #72 of 78 Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote:
Coming back to the well one more time. The installer recommended that instead of using the NHT TwoC I go with an In-Wall speaker for the center channel. I'm using a subwoofer, so do I gain anything if I go with the NHT iW4 as opposed to the cheaper (and "useder") iW3?

Run from that installer. A center is probably the worst speaker to mount in a wall, so I would pass on that suggestion. To be honest, anything in the front stage is a bad idea. Surrounds are OK if they're oriented properly in relationship to the viewers, so you might be able to get away with doing that, but I would suggest you don't do any in-walls for the fronts.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #73 of 78 Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Run from that installer. A center is probably the worst speaker to mount in a wall, so I would pass on that suggestion. To be honest, anything in the front stage is a bad idea. Surrounds are OK if they're oriented properly in relationship to the viewers, so you might be able to get away with doing that, but I would suggest you don't do any in-walls for the fronts.
I would have to agree. For the most part, most inwall/inceiling speaker cannot match speakers in a well designed box and are compromises. There are some like Triad that make incredible inwall/inceiling speakers, but the are not cheap. Any speaker with an open back in a wall or ceiling will create a resonant frequency in the wall (just do to the sheet rock itself and how the wall is made) that cannot be avoided. Having said that, I do have in wall speakers in our bedroom (request of my wife), but would not use them in a main system. I also built 'back boxes' for them and stuffed the cavities up to adjoining studs (and caulked the sheet rock to the studs on the inside).

The choice is really up to you, but you'll have some incredible L/R speakers that will be highly compromised by an in-wall center. If you 'have' to do it, go with the iW4. If you can get a matching center to your L/R, go with that route. As Jim stated, the center IS the most important speaker for home theater bar none. Just food for thought...

Ray

post #74 of 78 Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is nht still in business. I need some technical help on my emb-1200.
post #75 of 78 Old 02-09-2015, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post
Is nht still in business. I need some technical help on my emb-1200.
http://www.nhthifi.com/

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, Energy V-5.1s and a V-5.2C , NHT SuperZeros, Mirage Omni S10, Oppo 103D. Currently boxed up and for sale: Klipsch SW-450, NHT Absolute Center, Energy V-Mini-C
post #76 of 78 Old 02-09-2015, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
NHT Service

NHT has very good customer serivce.
post #77 of 78 Old 02-10-2015, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSpig View Post
NHT has very good customer serivce.
Agreed, just give them a call. They will respond quickly and will get you to the right person to deal with your issues.

Ray

post #78 of 78 Unread Today, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought a pair of Classic 3s in November and have been enjoying them ever since. Despite the fact that I've had to place them on their sides in an enclosed bookshelf cabinet six feet up, they sound great. Went with the NHTs because they are one of the few makers of acoustic suspension speakers left and a ported speaker would not work well in the enclosed shelf space I have. The C3s are paired with a BA 10" sub and the combination works well with my Denon AVR. Primarily listen to classical music and the NHTs provide a good flat response and incredible detail. Treble was a bit harsh until the speakers were broken in, which didn't take long. They are unforgiving if the source is not of the best quality. However, listening to hi-res flacs with these speakers is an absolute joy.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page