Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 73 Old 03-24-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
sorry to ask on these thread i couldnt find any of NHT thread over here.

anybody experienced about any NHT speakers? how good is NHT superone speakers? any thoughts?

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As an NHT dealer I know I'm biased, but I think they're great speakers, and a fantastic value for the money.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #3 of 73 Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
NHT are generally very well thought of here. I have personally not heard them but they are routinely recommend on these forums and a from reviews a great speaker.
post #4 of 73 Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
Dawn. I've had my NHT Classic 3 speakers for quite a while now and I'm very happy with them, but I was wondering if NHT is going to come out with something to replace the
Classic 3's in the near future? Thanks.
post #5 of 73 Old 03-26-2013, 04:43 AM

Good question.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. No news out of the folks in Benicia as yet.

You have excellent taste though. The Three is my favorite "reasonably priced" bookshelf speaker.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #6 of 73 Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have owned a pair of 3.3's for two decades. Solid speaker, with extremely good reviews, but it doesn't project 3d images like I love. I guess this may say more about me than the NHTs though. I am a sucker for a good dipole sound.

I also have some of their smaller bookshelf speakers in my AV set up for surrounds and center. These have been fantastic.
post #7 of 73 Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Good question.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer. No news out of the folks in Benicia as yet.

You have excellent taste though. The Three is my favorite "reasonably priced" bookshelf speaker.

Thanks Dawn. I was hoping NHT might come up with something like an updated version of the 3.3's.
post #8 of 73 Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Liked: 24
I wish they could come out with a new version of Xd.
post #9 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheart1948 View Post

Thanks Dawn. I was hoping NHT might come up with something like an updated version of the 3.3's.

I used to own a set of 3.3's. Absolutely loved them! They were a gift from their designer, Ken Kantor. I remember seeing them for the first time at a trade show. None of us had ever seen a side-firing woofer before, and it was very unique. Kenny told me that the idea was to design a speaker where money was no object. It was a big departure from NHT's line-up at the time.

post #10 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You can't go wrong with a NHT speaker as they always seem to put out a good product for the money.

I'm a sucker for the Super One's. I got four of 'em on the walls for my surrounds and couple of more in the closet for who knows what for.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #11 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM

I think I might love my 3.3s more if they weren't meant to be placed so close to the rear wall. I prefer a deeper soundstage that comes from moving speakers out into the room. The greatest strength of my 3.3s is a solidness. It is like listening to music coming out of the black monoliths in 2001 Space Odyssey. The 150 pound slabs are dead inert with no rattles or vibration.
post #12 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

how about these, which one is better and which is is new model. thanks, i am planning to use it for my surrounds.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/3662799455.html

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/ele/3686775528.html

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #13 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 9.1 surround sound system that is entirely NHT, except for the SVS subwoofer. Very good speakers at very affordable prices, and quite nice finish (although the reflective black surfaces aren't ideal for a bat cave projection setup since they reflect the screen.) In the price range, I think they're very competitive.

The two Craigslist speakers are all about age, IMO. I'm using 1.5s as my surrounds and width speakers with excellent results. (FWIW, Audyssey identifies their crossover point at 50Hz, so they go "down there" reasonably well for a small speaker. I raise the Audyssey setting to THX 80Hz, FWIW.)
post #14 of 73 Old 03-27-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I used to own a set of 3.3's. Absolutely loved them! They were a gift from their designer, Ken Kantor. I remember seeing them for the first time at a trade show. None of us had ever seen a side-firing woofer before, and it was very unique. Kenny told me that the idea was to design a speaker where money was no object. It was a big departure from NHT's line-up at the time.

I heard that Ken Kantor has his own company that sells high end speakers now. Wasn't he the principle founder of NHT?
post #15 of 73 Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Ken Kantor and Chris Byrne were the original founders of NHT. Both very nice people.

I haven't seen Kenny in years and years. Do you know the name of his speaker company?

post #16 of 73 Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:

Ken Kantor and Chris Byrne were the original founders of NHT. Both very nice people.

I haven't seen Kenny in years and years. Do you know the name of his speaker company?

Dawn - I found this:

http://www.300guitars.com/spotlight/ken-kantor-zt-amplifiers/
post #17 of 73 Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM

Sorry Dawn. Nothing about speakers.
post #18 of 73 Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the info!

post #19 of 73 Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info!

Dawn - I googled my brains out but I couldn't find anything more recent about him.
post #20 of 73 Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I've got a 3.0 consisting of Classic Four/3C. Speakers are a great value IMO, very well designed 3-way with great dispersion. It's a shame their prices have gone up because their speakers were an even better deal a few years ago.
post #21 of 73 Old 03-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Liked: 17
I haven't personally heard the newer NHTs but they have gotten both great professional and enthusiast reviews. Their older speakers were very neutral and I've heard their new ones are as well.

I still use my 15 year old 3.3s in my primary music system, but I have them out from the wall a couple feet more than is recommended so I have a nice, deep soundstage with 4D sound and still excellent bass. Even today, the only speakers I've heard that sound noticeably better are all at least the price of a new inexpensive car.
post #22 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

I've got a 3.0 consisting of Classic Four/3C. Speakers are a great value IMO, very well designed 3-way with great dispersion. It's a shame their prices have gone up because their speakers were an even better deal a few years ago.

Send me a PM. We have excellent NHT pricing and free shipping.

post #23 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 AM

I just moved mine out 14 inches from the wall and agree the soundstage got much deeper and the bass tamer in a good way. I cranked up a bass heavy track from The Killer Bees album and was very impressed until my Sonic Frontiers tube amp started clipping. I need more juice for high volumes on the NHTs.

I have collected speakers over the years and have my Maggies set up downstairs and have been switching back and forth between my Triton Twos and the NHTs upstairs. I think I need to experiment by bringing my more powerful amplifier from downstairs up and trying it with the 3.3s.

Thanks for the suggestion Justindo.
post #24 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I can hear my 2.5s (built in 1995) are reaching retirement age, so I moved a pair of Absolute Towers into the mains positions last week. I'd characterize the Absolutes as neutral, as were the 2.5s, but faster and with a more open, better imaging high end (with the caveat that my points of comparison are those 18-year-old 2.5s.)

CARDIFF, I'm thinking about Magnaplanars. How would you compare your two systems?
post #25 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 358
One of my setups has the Absolute Zero's and matching center. Excellent build quality; they feel solid and the paint work is very nice too. They strike me as a little bright, but overall I like them. For their size they can do an awful lot.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #26 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Has the sound actually deteriorated, or are you just outgrowing the 2.5s? My guess is they sound real similar to my 3.3s, maybe even better considering the smaller room I am using them in.

I have owned my Maggie MG3a's for 26 years now. I used to have a GFA 555 amp, which had just enough muscle to drive them. In the early 90s I switched to a smaller tube amp and got the NHTs. It was just enough to drive the NHTs in a smaller room, and the Maggie's started sounding real dead. I thought they just got old.

Then a few months ago I bought a pair of monoblock amps from Emotiva. They put out 400 watts into 4 ohms. I hooked them to the Magnepans just to see if they sounded decent and was floored. Once I got the Maggie's out into a large room with lots of space they simply blew me away. I listened to music for a couple of weeks with a smile on my face. Like some kind of audio idiot.

With an upstairs and downstairs system, I can take the music back and forth between systems and listen to how different they sound. The Magnepans do some kind of magic of throwing the sound of a real instrument or person into space. It isn't just an imaging thing though. Lots of speakers image well. I think it is the dipole nature of the sound just seeming more realistic and solid to me. The best way to describe it is that a good box speaker makes it sound like the sound comes from there, and Maggie's make it sound like the instrument is there. Bass is also extremely realistic, definitely quality over quantity though. Mine are flat to 30hz if not driven too loud (95db or less?)

I do think I am just a sucker for dipoles. At the recent Chicago audio show, I preferred the rooms with electrostatic and various panel speakers over most of the boxes. Regardless of cost.

Don't even consider Magnepans though without gobs of power and lots of space. The bass and soundstage came alive for me after I get them about 4 feet away from the rear wall. After my 26 year old speakers die, the new 3.7s will definitely be on my list.
post #27 of 73 Old 03-30-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Send me pricing too pls.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Denon 2112CI
post #28 of 73 Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

Send me pricing too pls.

PM sent.

post #29 of 73 Old 03-31-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Cardiff for your thoughtful and detailed response. I really appreciate it. And I'll be harassing you with a private message. smile.gif
post #30 of 73 Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Do you sell NHT at the old mrsps? Back when NHT first moved from retail to direct, the NHT Classic 3s were $650. Now they are $900.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page