WHAT ARE THESE SPEAKERS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-24-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let's put this forum to the test. In my never ending hunt for A/V treasures I have stumbled across this lovely set of tower speakers. They cost me $10 at a garage sale. From what I gathered (off of the speaker and speaker grill) these are a pair of KLH Reference Series Model number 120?T. They are 42.5" H, 15.25" W and 10.75" D. They have 2 12" woofers, a 5.25" Mid, and a 3" tweeter. I've searched and searched on Google and Bing for pics, stats, manufacture date, reviews but I have come up with nothing. I have learned that KLH speakers under Henry Kloss were a force to be reckoned with, but lately KLH is, at best, mediocre. My questions for the community are; are these worth salvaging? Are these vintage or just old crap? When were they made, before or after Mr. Kloss? Basically any info anyone can give me on these speakers. Please look over the pics and give me your 2 cents on them. Thank you for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 304
My Google netted this http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showforum=4

Why don't you post there.

Also...here is a thread about "KLH 120s" http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225532; not sure if that's exactly the same speaker...but the consensus seems to be, these were made in China and after any glory-days of KLH.

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #3 of 25 Old 03-24-2013, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

These are made in the USA. I went to the link you sent me and found a chart listing all the KLH products but nothing on there matched. In my original post I listed the model # as "Reference Series 120?T" The question mark is there because I couldn't quite make out the last number before "T" check out the pic and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm gonna post on the other forum you referred me to and see if I have any luck. Thanks for helping me dig up more info. By the way, historically speaking, do you know if KLH only went to crap after they started manufacturing in China?
post #4 of 25 Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Henry was out of KLH by 1967; he had no involvement with those. The woofers have poly cones, which didn't come along until the mid 70s. It appears that it's a passive radiator design, so only one of the woofer cones is active, the other is a drone.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
How do they sound, as is?

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #6 of 25 Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

So is everything KLH, post Henry Kloss not worth a damn? As far as sound, they are lacking a bit on the high end but the low end is beautiful. As much as I dislike hip hop, they seem made for the genre, party speakers if you know what I mean. Does anyone know if back in their day if these were high end, middle of the road or bottom of the barrel? When was their day? Thanks for all you're input.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotolove View Post

Does anyone know if back in their day if these were high end, middle of the road or bottom of the barrel? When was their day? Thanks for all you're input.
They're probably OK speakers for their day. If they are US made they were produced before 1979. If they were 'classics' you wouldn't come up with nothing on a Google search.

post #8 of 25 Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll keep these as my second string speakers. Maybe pick up an old stereo receiver off craigslist and throw a party to debut them. No need to baby these. Lets see how long it takes the neighbors call the cops. Time to crank them up.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I have some KLH speakers. I bought them because I needed something as inexpensive as possible. I think they were like $60/pair including shipping. Not bad for a 3 way with 12" woofers I thought. They're terrible. They only sound OK at very low volumes which is unfortunate as I listen to them when on a treadmill which has a very loud motor. Once you give them maybe, 1 watt, they start distorting.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Liked: 15
I had a pair of those back in 2000. The lower 12 is actually a passive radiator. Took out the upper active 12's and put beefier woofers. They sounded terrific with the new drivers.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

They only cost me $10 so Frankensteinimg them sounds like a fun project. So the bottom woofer is the drone speaker?
post #12 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Y
Quote:

They only cost me $10 so Frankensteinimg them sounds like a fun project. So the bottom woofer is the drone speaker?
Yes. Make sure to match the impedance of the 12" driver. Those cabinets are solid and can be used for a DIY project in the future
post #13 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer View Post

Make sure to match the impedance of the 12" driver. Those cabinets are solid and can be used for a DIY project in the future
You need to match up a lot more than the impedance. At the very least you need to match Fs, Qes, Qms and Vas, as well as impedance. Since the specs on the original driver aren't available, and the OP undoubtedly doesn't have the ability to measure them, any driver swapping is a shot in the dark.

post #14 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

You need to match up a lot more than the impedance. At the very least you need to match Fs, Qes, Qms and Vas, as well as impedance. Since the specs on the original driver aren't available, and the OP undoubtedly doesn't have the ability to measure them, any driver swapping is a shot in the dark.
We are talking about a $10 speakers and a cheap aftermarket driver, we are not talking about reference speaker. I did it with the same old KLH and it was fun, souded better and didnt put any strain on my old Marantz 2260.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

My plan was to geek out on YouTube videos regarding DIY speakers and learn by trial and error but Bill makes the process sound so ominous. Hahaha! A friend of mine has some "white van" speakers that he has been talking about souping up. I think I will join him on that project, learn from his mistakes and then tackle mine.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM

Dont get me wrong, Bill knows whats he is talking about and would take his advise anyday in a DIY project.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer View Post

Dont get me wrong, Bill knows whats he is talking about and would take his advise anyday in a DIY project.
My advise is to leave the original drivers in there.

post #18 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM

B
Quote:

But not on this one...
post #19 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Bill, have you ever taken apart a piece of crap speaker and turned it into something awesome? Like putting a Ferrari engine into a VW Bug. Just for sh*ts and giggles that is. I can't wait to see what the end result of my friend's "white van" speaker project will be.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hey Bill, have you ever taken apart a piece of crap speaker and turned it into something awesome? Like putting a Ferrari engine into a VW Bug. Just for sh*ts and giggles that is. I can't wait to see what the end result of my friend's "white van" speaker project will be.
Nope, I design them to be awesome. smile.gif
The problem with putting a Ferrari engine into a Bug is that if it doesn't have a Ferrari suspension you'll end up in a ditch or wrapped around a telephone pole. Putting high end drivers into a crap cab will give pretty much the same result. Drivers will only work as well as the cab they're loaded into will allow.

post #21 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nope, I design them to be awesome. smile.gif
The problem with putting a Ferrari engine into a Bug is that if it doesn't have a Ferrari suspension you'll end up in a ditch or wrapped around a telephone pole. Putting high end drivers into a crap cab will give pretty much the same result. Drivers will only work as well as the cab they're loaded into will allow.
That makes sense, hopefully these KLH cabinets aren't complete crap cuz I'm gonna go for it. The "white van" speakers... let's call it a learning experience, everybody has to start somewhere. Keep an eye out for my thread titled, "LOOK WHAT I MADE!" Hahahaha! I'll keep ya'll informed. Thank you to everybody for all your input.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:

That makes sense, hopefully these KLH cabinets aren't complete crap cuz I'm gonna go for it. The "white van" speakers... let's call it a learning experience, everybody has to start somewhere. Keep an eye out for my thread titled, "LOOK WHAT I MADE!" Hahahaha! I'll keep ya'll informed. Thank you to everybody for all your input.
I dont know why KLH put cheap components in a expensive and heavy wood cabinets.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

On a completely unrelated note, I found a guy on craigslist buying up any old tower speakers, working or not. Get this, he turns them into dog houses. ¿WTF? Hahaha!
post #24 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/3663503833.html Here's the link, check it out for a laugh.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 113
That guy would have loved the old Voice of the Theater bass reflex enclosure my Dad had in the basement when I was a kid... big enough to put up a Mastiff or Great Dane

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page