Need Opinion on Cambridge S30's S50 combo VS PSB Alpha B1 C1 combo speakers! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-24-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All

I was looking to purchase the Cambridge Audio S30's bookshelf's with the S50 center for my front 3 speakers in a 5.1 set up. But as of right now they are on back order everywhere. No one has them in stock and it's going to be about 3 weeks before I can get them delivered to my house. I really didn't want to wait that long. So I started looking at other speakers and found the PSB Alpha B1's with a Alpha C1 center at CRUTCHFIELD in stock so I was wondering how these 2 brands compare. I have a Yamaha RX-A820 receiver and plan on using the Cambridge Minx Min 11 or 21 on pivot mts for my surround speakers and a SVS SB-1000 sub. The front speakers will be on Pangea DS-3 stands if AA still has them. My room is about 1700 sq. ft. 19 ft long x 11 wide. TV and couch sit on the short walls and there is openings into other living area's on opposite ends of the room. left front and right rear so the room is pretty opened up.
I have read plenty of reviews on the S30's but very little on the PSB Alpha series. I will be using the system for 50/50 music and movie's.
Does anyone have the PSB Alpha B1 series and can tell me how they sound? what do you like and don't like about them? I have no way to auditioning them. I have listen to B&W 685's 686's, Monitor Audio BX2's and the Paradigm Atom monitors with the Atoms being the best to my ears. Yes and I know any of these speakers won't sound as good in my room compared to the HI-FI shops sound auditioning rooms.

thanks

Living room;  Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Cambridge Audio Minx S325-v2 5.1, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage;         Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The S30's are $220 a pair. The PSB Alpha B1's are $300 a pair. At that price point I think you can do better than the Alpha series.

I'd recommend looking at the Arx A1b (at audioinsider). Jim Wilson did a review of them here. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/65546-arx-a1b-a2b-speaker-review.html

They are also well reviewed here in the forums.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info on the Arx A1b speakers. Price is right in the middle of the Cambridge LCR and the PSB Alpha B1 LCR set. I was seriously thinking about ordering them but then I noticed they are out of stock on the center channel speaker. I want to keep all 3 front speakers the same. Must be this time of year or something related to new model speakers coming out. Having a hard time finding what I want in stock ready to ship! My local dealer has the Paradigm Atom Monitors and Center 1 in stock but price on that set is more then what I wanted to spend on the LCR speakers. That's why I opt for the Cambridge S30's and S50. Here are the price differences.

Cambridge S30's with S50 center - $398.00
Arx A1b's with Arx A2c center- $508.00
PSB Alpha B1's with PSB Alpha C1 center- $$549.98
Paradigm Atom Monitors with Paradigm center 1- $ 777.00

Living room;  Samsung UN55F7100 3D LED, Marantz SR5008, Oppo BDP-103, Cambridge Audio Minx S325-v2 5.1, Comcast DVR HD box.

Garage;         Sherwood RX-4105 2 channel stereo receiver, Samsung DVD-C500 CD player, Klipsch KG 2.5 med oak speakers

post #4 of 4 Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If you have the room a third A1b (13.8" tall) would make an excellent center speaker (some would say a slightly better center than the horizontal center model).

Audioinsider sells A1b singles, so it's actually cheaper too.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Cambridge Speakers S30 N , Cambridge Audio Bookshelf Speakers S30

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page