Rear ported Bookshelf/Monitors or front ported Towers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I may be over thinking this decision, but Id like to start ordering and auditioning speakers soon and don't know what to peruse as far as the L/R speakers, Towers or Monitors. This system is pretty much 100% for HT use.

Scenario 1: 3 matching LRC rear ported Monitor/bookshelf on short stands on the stage just below a 75inch Screen, tweeters would be about 10 inches below ear level and at least 12inches in front of the screens wall.
-I'm concerned about having the L&R's below the screen instead of on the sides at ear level.

Scenario 2: 2 front ported towers, tweeters at ear level, on the floor, against the wall between my built in and Fireplace on one side and the other on the opposite in front of the built in cabinet door. The matching center would be under the screen and about 10 inches below ear level.
-My concern with this setup is having the left speaker a couple inches in front of a cabinet door (rattling?). I'm not sure about the WAF, but she has also said to do what ever I think is best.

I currently have one Paradigm 10" sub and plan to upgrade to 2 much betters subs in the next year. Surrounds are a couple dipoles from a paradigm HTIB that I already own. Ill be using half of my basements family room (34'x20'). I think I'd prefer to have all 3 fronts on the stage under the screen if it would sound the best.

This is a pic of my built in with screen taped and where the bookshelf's would go. Thank you for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Re Scenario 1 ...
You can always tilt the speakers up a bit so they are directed at the listeners. This is not that uncommon.

It is a bit of a tricky space.

How far away are the listeners from the speakers?

How far apart are the LR mains from each other?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 AM

Liked: 10
Id get the Floor standing speakers, much better sound. Louder rather. Thats better for the theatre side of things.
Subwoofer youve got a good one but if you were to upgrade try 2 svs pb 12 nsd subwoofers
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
The difference between bookshelves and floor standers is that floor standers are fine for music only use without subs, bookshelves need to be paired with subs. If you're going to have good subs then floor standers offer no benefits, while being more expensive and restricting placement options. Personally I'd lose that bit of furniture above the screen, lifting the screen high enough to allow the tweeters to be on-axis with the listening position.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Re Scenario 1 ...
You can always tilt the speakers up a bit so they are directed at the listeners. This is not that uncommon.

It is a bit of a tricky space.

How far away are the listeners from the speakers?

How far apart are the LR mains from each other?

The main listening spot is 12 feet away and with the speakers under the screen they would be about 62 inches apart. Makes me wonder if thats far enough separation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

The difference between bookshelves and floor standers is that floor standers are fine for music only use without subs, bookshelves need to be paired with subs. If you're going to have good subs then floor standers offer no benefits, while being more expensive and restricting placement options. Personally I'd lose that bit of furniture above the screen, lifting the screen high enough to allow the tweeters to be on-axis with the listening position.

Ive thought about ripping the top off the built in, but thats where I was hoping to store my AV equipment and Im not sure about having the screen any higher on the wall. Id ideally like to have the tweeers on axis so maybe i should be shopping a 65" screen instead of the 75" and using the left over 7 inches on each side of the screen to put speakers.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoEater View Post

The main listening spot is 12 feet away and with the speakers under the screen they would be about 62 inches apart. Makes me wonder if thats far enough separation.
I'd call that bare minimum, but with that bookshelf in the way there's not much you can do about that.
Quote:
Ive thought about ripping the top off the built in, but thats where I was hoping to store my AV equipment and Im not sure about having the screen any higher on the wall. Id ideally like to have the tweeers on axis so maybe i should be shopping a 65" screen instead of the 75" and using the left over 7 inches on each side of the screen to put speakers.
That's another option. My screen is about ten feet away, and the top of the screen is eight inches from the 7 1/2 foot ceiling. The viewing angle from my recliner is perfect. IMO most people put the screen way too low, because that's what they're used to. I can't imagine watching a console TV from the 50s-80s, with the screen center perhaps two feet off the floor, but once upon a time that was state of the art.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I may be over thinking this decision, but Id like to start ordering and auditioning speakers soon and don't know what to peruse as far as the L/R speakers, Towers or Monitors. This system is pretty much 100% for HT use.

Try both types while using a subwoofer and crossing them over to it at 80 Hz, if possible; and if you don't have a subwoofer available in that situation, then cross them over at 80 Hz anyway for a fair comparison. Generally speaking, towers tend to be significantly more expensive than bookshelf speakers of the same level of sound quality, and many people find it necessary to move down a notch or two in quality in order to afford towers, which is usually a bad move. Much depends on your budget, what is available, the pricing, and what you happen to like, so audition a bunch of speakers and tell us your observations, including price, and we'll help you make a decision (just guidance wink.gif) if you need any help.
Quote:

Scenario 1: 3 matching LRC rear ported Monitor/bookshelf on short stands on the stage just below a 75inch Screen, tweeters would be about 10 inches below ear level and at least 12inches in front of the screens wall.
-I'm concerned about having the L&R's below the screen instead of on the sides at ear level.

If you're concerned about sound quality, then 10 inches at 12 feet away is only about 4 degrees, and even if you're 12 feet from the screen and therefore 11 feet from the speakers, it's only a fraction of a degree more. With many quality speakers you won't even notice a difference, and if you're still concerned, you could always tilt them slightly upward (about 4 degrees) like sdg4vfx suggested.
Quote:

Scenario 2: 2 front ported towers, tweeters at ear level, on the floor, against the wall between my built in and Fireplace on one side and the other on the opposite in front of the built in cabinet door. The matching center would be under the screen and about 10 inches below ear level.
-My concern with this setup is having the left speaker a couple inches in front of a cabinet door (rattling?). I'm not sure about the WAF, but she has also said to do what ever I think is best.

I think that your bookshelf speaker placement scheme would be fine. And by the way, what's with the front- and rear-ported thing? If you already have specific speakers in mind, then spill the beans!
Quote:

Coincidentally, my left & right front speakers are exactly 62 inches apart (on center) smile.gif, and I sit about 14.5 feet away, so I have it even worse. It's minimal angular separation, to be sure, especially for music, but for home theater use, where one's attention at the front is typically on a screen that is no wider, I think that it works just fine.
Quote:

I say tilt the speakers up and stick with the bigger screen (just my opinion).
Quote:

Quote:

That's another option. My screen is about ten feet away, and the top of the screen is eight inches from the 7 1/2 foot ceiling. The viewing angle from my recliner is perfect. IMO most people put the screen way too low, because that's what they're used to.

This just goes to show how we're all different--I much prefer the center of the screen to be at eye level because I always sit upright, and even if I didn't do the latter, I prefer to look downward rather than upward (I always mount my desktop computer monitors a bit low because I don't like looking upward). Maybe it's innate, or maybe the two of us are simply accustomed to different things. There are plenty of people on both sides of this issue, so there is no right or wrong here (not that you implied any such thing).
Quote:

I can't imagine watching a console TV from the 50s-80s, with the screen center perhaps two feet off the floor, but once upon a time that was state of the art.

I remember that well, and it seemed ridiculous back then, too. Some people even came to think that that was the ideal as a result, which I think is remarkable. One such case that I dealt with several years ago was a dispute between a family friend and her son, who is a young electrical engineer. She had repeatedly asked him to come over and fix the LCD TV that he had bought for her, which was always stretching 4:3 content to 16:9, obviously distorting the image, but he adamantly refused, telling her that it is a widescreen TV so that is how things are supposed to look on it. eek.gif She then asked me for help, and I fixed the problem for her...and called her son crazy, which she did not dispute. biggrin.gif
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses guys. I now think bookshelfs are the way to go for me. I can easily put them below the screen at first and if I that doesnt work out maybe I can place them on stands or even in the bookshelf to the left of the screen and one on the wall/stand on the right.

Now to start looking for the best front 3 that i can afford for around 2k. I normally watch movies at low volumes so the kids can sleep upstairs at the other end of the house. Hopefully i can find a speaker that fills the area with sound and makes it so I can hear the dialog clearly at low volumes. I left my HT in the house that we just moved from so at the moment all I have is a Paradigm HTIB CT110. I dont mind the way they sound, but I dont really enjoy it either. The only other speaker that i know i dont enjoy beside my HTIB is Klipsch. For some reason I find them harsh and too bright.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Now to start looking for the best front 3 that i can afford for around 2k.

With your budget and requirements, I would recommend this speaker:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

The NrT upgrade option is, in my opinion, worth the extra cost and still falls well within your budget, but the baseline speaker is excellent for the money, too. There is a horizontally-oriented center version available, but I would strongly recommend giving them a call and requesting a third identical bookshelf version for your center speaker (the only differences are a rotated tweeter that you could rotate yourself and a different grille and logo placement, but why not get it right to start with?). These are very clear-sounding, detailed speakers (especially the NrT version).