help deciding on new speakers for 7.1 system - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #301 of 314 Old 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

SO.. I spoke with Dina over at Ascend who was super friendly. She said although there is a difference between the cmt-340 and the SE model they both will sound great. Since I would be getting the cmt-340's for the same price as a set of b-stock HTM-200 SE it makes more sense to use them as rear surrounds. I would get a new pair of cmt-340se for the front so the front three would be identical and use htm-200's as my rear surrounds. Im going to checkout these speakers tomorrow and if they sound and look good totally getting them.

Then I need to start saving up for a sub, Dina suggested I go with a 15". Although she wasn't able to list brand names she said most anything in my budget (800-1000 ish range) for that size would work and to go with a ported sub because it would be for movies. Basically what everyone on here has repeated.
if you have 1000 for a sub then your not far off from a 15 inch ported sub from rythmik. I know you can get the sealed f15hp for 1174 shipped because of a 5% discount because you bought speakers from them, and you could get the 550 watt amp which is 100 dollars cheaper instead of the 600 which the only difference is .5db. If your stuck on getting a ported, then forget about the htm's for now, and do 5.1 and put that money towards a fv15hp.
The space i need to fill with sound is decently big, and after figuring out my room gain i find the sealed is outstanding for movies. Are you really going to play at referance levels all the time? Thats all the ported has on the sealed, is max output. I find the f15 has plenty of output. The sealed is less efficient but it has a better response, and is less vunurable to over excursion. I also find that switching my damping to low instead of high gives it that oomph that a ported has. I stay in high though, i like the bass tight.
Axxion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #302 of 314 Old 04-24-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post

SO.. I spoke with Dina over at Ascend who was super friendly. She said although there is a difference between the cmt-340 and the SE model they both will sound great. Since I would be getting the cmt-340's for the same price as a set of b-stock HTM-200 SE it makes more sense to use them as rear surrounds. I would get a new pair of cmt-340se for the front so the front three would be identical and use htm-200's as my rear surrounds. Im going to checkout these speakers tomorrow and if they sound and look good totally getting them.

Then I need to start saving up for a sub, Dina suggested I go with a 15". Although she wasn't able to list brand names she said most anything in my budget (800-1000 ish range) for that size would work and to go with a ported sub because it would be for movies. Basically what everyone on here has repeated.

That's a good idea to use the older CMT-340's as side surrounds and get another new SE pair for the fronts to match the center. Use the B-Tech BT-77 mounts if you're planning to put the CMT-340's on the walls. They can hold up to 50 lbs. There is a threaded female bolt attachment on the back of these speakers. Use a male eye-bolt of equal size and secure a very short safety cable from it to the mount for extra protection (should always do this when wall or ceiling hanging speakers). And use Blu-tak as well for extra grip. Other people have done this same thing to their CMT-340's to great effect.

With this in mind, instead of going with the HTM-200's for the rears, I'd get another pair of CMT-340 SE's when you've saved up for them and everything will match surround wise, and due to the greater frequency response of the larger CMT-340's, you'll really be ready for the newer object-oriented audio formats coming down the pike. Then just place the older versions in the back and the SE's on the sides.



http://www.wayfair.com/B-Tech-Ultragrip-Pro-Side-Clamping-Wall-Mount-Loudspeaker-B-Tech-BT77-BTEC1000.html

Hard to say about the Rythmik 15" except much depends on if you lean more towards synthetic movie soundtrack reproduction or musical tightness and accuracy for this audio system... that'll help narrow down if you want a ported or sealed sub. Get the High Powered version with 600 watt amp, no matter what.
lemonslush likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #303 of 314 Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I don't think those mounts are going to work too well with speakers that top heavy. You are definitely going to have to drill in the speakers to use the screw holes on the clamps, and I still think they might be wobbly. I would just build some shelves and use some blu tak, or better yet, just secure the speakers on the shelves with screws through the bottom if they are in a area where they could get bumped.
shadyJ is online now  
post #304 of 314 Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Edited my post above.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #305 of 314 Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Got my mini dsp today, had a hell of a time figuring out where the "software" that controls the device was available. Everything concerning this is so vague and lacking detail. No google search or the paper it came with clearified this. Not even a couple online tutorials said anything specific. I guess i was expected to inherit this knowledge upon birth. Finall after about an hour of clicking links i found out that you have to spend additional money on the dsp webpage to acquire the software. They call it plugins. All kinds of different versions, all the same price. Very confusing.

Anyway, according to mcacc and REW (as well as my ears) i have flat response from 14hz-20khz. Give or take 3db in spikes here or there, (which isnt an issue?) room gain solved after massive dip on PEQ and dsp software, for 52-55 hz. Bass is just incredible. I was playing songs from pandora, some really good bass heavy ones are rob zombies superbeast, and deviance by excision and datsik. I do notice bass pressure more in my right ear on that deviance song, most other content i cant tell. luckily that second sub will be coming in 6 weeks.
Axxion is offline  
post #306 of 314 Old 04-27-2013, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Got my mini dsp today, had a hell of a time figuring out where the "software" that controls the device was available. Everything concerning this is so vague and lacking detail. No google search or the paper it came with clearified this. Not even a couple online tutorials said anything specific. I guess i was expected to inherit this knowledge upon birth. Finall after about an hour of clicking links i found out that you have to spend additional money on the dsp webpage to acquire the software. They call it plugins. All kinds of different versions, all the same price. Very confusing.

Anyway, according to mcacc and REW (as well as my ears) i have flat response from 14hz-20khz. Give or take 3db in spikes here or there, (which isnt an issue?) room gain solved after massive dip on PEQ and dsp software, for 52-55 hz. Bass is just incredible. I was playing songs from pandora, some really good bass heavy ones are rob zombies superbeast, and deviance by excision and datsik. I do notice bass pressure more in my right ear on that deviance song, most other content i cant tell. luckily that second sub will be coming in 6 weeks.

As good as that seems, I wouldn't use 128 kilobit MP3's off Pandora as a good yardstick. MP3's must DIE!!!!

If you think your sub sounds incredible now... try the Inception Blu-ray. wink.gif You might just break a dish or two.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #307 of 314 Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Dan what are these new audio formats you keep saying get ready for?
Also what gear do you have?
Axxion is offline  
post #308 of 314 Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Dan what are these new audio formats you keep saying get ready for?
Also what gear do you have?

Object oriented soundtracks. Two you could Google for more info are Dolby Atmos and DTS MDA (or SRS MDA, which just got folded into DTS). They throw out the traditional fixed number/channel-based approach and allow the audio engineer to have as many assignable speakers as the "rendering" software is able to manipulate... and the mixing stage can hold.

Atmos, for instance, can have up to 64 assignable speakers... each speaker can be turned into a "channel."

Instead of channels, each individual sound "object" in a mix is assigned metadata encoding for height/width/depth panning cues. They could be panned or placed to any one of those speakers if the rendering decoder considers it close to the location assigned in the original mix's metadata instructions.

I have an Onkyo 805 receiver, ATI multi-channel amplifier, Panasonic Blu-ray player, Pioneer Elite Universal DVD/SA-CD/DVD-Audio player, Paradigm Studio (v.4) speakers (including Model 100 towers and CC-690 center), and an Infocus projector with 100" screen. All currently in boxes because the basement is being remodeled. frown.gif

Going through A/V withdrawal symptoms!!!! I'm living vicariously through each and every one of you!!!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #309 of 314 Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Atmos won't hit the consumer level for many years, you really don't have to start preparing for it.
shadyJ is online now  
post #310 of 314 Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Atmos won't hit the consumer level for many years, you really don't have to start preparing for it.

Atmos might not, but DTS is actively working to have MDA in the home as part of the new UHD broadcast and media standards.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #311 of 314 Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Inception was a terrible movie, couldnt get into it but the bass was really good. Cloverfield was kinda scary lol and the sound was awesome. My subwoofers sound has been changing lately, it seems to have broken in amd has more output ive has to turn in down. Has more aggression to it. I have it set to low damping now, tight as ever and sounds very full. Freinds are floored with the setup, everone gets that big smile and starts going "woah" when something big happens.
Axxion is offline  
post #312 of 314 Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 8,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Inception was a terrible movie, couldnt get into it but the bass was really good. Cloverfield was kinda scary lol and the sound was awesome. My subwoofers sound has been changing lately, it seems to have broken in amd has more output ive has to turn in down. Has more aggression to it. I have it set to low damping now, tight as ever and sounds very full. Freinds are floored with the setup, everone gets that big smile and starts going "woah" when something big happens.

Happy to hear that your A/V experience is going so well. Still considering what to upgrade next?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Dan Hitchman is online now  
post #313 of 314 Old 05-01-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Just adding a sub. I had a problem with the mini dsp, when i left the sub settings at the same volume, and reran mcacc with the new eq, it set the sub at +8 coming from +1 without the dsp. I noticed with this +8 on a certain low freq sound in black ops 2, emp grenade, the sub would skip a beat and bottom out. I know the sub is much more capable so i took off the dsp and that fixed it. I dont know why the dsp sucks so much volume and the avr makes up for it, but no way should it be bottoming out at the volume it was at. I ordered a usb mic, a umik 1, so i can really get a reliable reading on whats going on. Everything else sounded proper with the dsp, i believe the bass levels were at a correct volume to blend with the speakers, and usually im pretty good at getting this right.
Axxion is offline  
post #314 of 314 Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Axxion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 681
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Ok i got the mic, it was more consistent then the set up mic pioneer provided, but the results are about the same. Well atleast i have a good mic for whatever now, as i do like to record my guitar and play online pc games once in a while lol. So anyone thinking of using a set up mic on a budget can probably get by.

I have eq'd the sub as good as i can get it. I did have to raise the volume knob on the sub 4 clicks higher then what i had it, and thats about 5-6 clicks past noon. Now that clipping in black ops 2 is gone, no distortion. Like ive said, i had to cut that 53-55 hz region on the PEQ as much as the rythmik allowed me, then another -15 db on minidsp. That just barely tamed it. What do you guys think about this response?


First image no smoothing. Second image is 1/6 octave. Thats from 14hz to 80hz. Sound levels are only +/- 3 db across the line until the crossover. That lower line at the bottom of each picture is the phase line.
Axxion is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off