help deciding on new speakers for 7.1 system - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
I think the Klipsch is more than enough for apartment living wink.gif You may not have it setup optimally yet. I have one in my bedroom and am impressed how nice it is for $300. Your room and position of the sub play a big role too and your avr doesn't have bass eq either. Did you at least pull the port tube tight? I'd also set your speakers at small and at 80hz crossover, maybe a bit lower on the fronts (60 perhaps) but you say your avr doesn't have this capability. Sometimes you just need a second sub to help smooth response out, too.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Hmmm.... I always was under the impression that HSU made the subs for Outlaw to their specs. (they also look surprisingly similar too) and ATI made most of Outlaw's amplifiers to their specs. Outlaw manufactures none of their products, but uses OEM factories.

I don't think anyone in home audio makes anything any more. Maybe they assemble the pieces like Ascend Acoustics does. About the only exception I can think of are Grado headphones where they actually do make their own drivers from what I understand.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #93 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Lol thats almost 600 more, i dont have a clue what im talking about but i doubt its 600 dollars better. I also live in a apt, and that svs has tons of power. your going to get me evicted lmao. Thanks ill do some research

The SVS is more refined with its bass reproduction (like a fine Pino Noir), but since you're starting out... that HSU VTF-15h would be with you for quite some time and make the Klipsch seem but a toy in comparison. You'd be grinning like the Cheshire cat. I'm not over-speaking here.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #94 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Quote:

Good list of sub companies... just to make things slightly clearer... HSU makes the Outlaw Audio subs and might have had a hand with Rythmik's designs.

/As a point of clarification, HSU does not make the Outlaw Subs. However, Dr. Hsu was involved in designing the Outlaw Subs. Dr. Hsu also designed the BIC PL-200.

Never heard that about Rythmik. I thought Brian Ding did all the designing.

This is more my understanding. Also on the subject of relationships, SVS and Power Sound Audio have a relationship of sorts in that one of the founders of SVS (the V, Tom Vodhanel), no longer with SVS, is one of the founders with another ex-SVS guy (can't remember his name) at Power Sound Audio....

In any case the ID subs offer pretty great value no matter who designed them or who actually puts them together...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #95 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I think the Klipsch is more than enough for apartment living wink.gif You may not have it setup optimally yet. I have one in my bedroom and am impressed how nice it is for $300. Your room and position of the sub play a big role too and your avr doesn't have bass eq either. Did you at least pull the port tube tight? I'd also set your speakers at small and at 80hz crossover, maybe a bit lower on the fronts (60 perhaps) but you say your avr doesn't have this capability. Sometimes you just need a second sub to help smooth response out, too.

The Pioneer 1222 receiver doesn't seem to have fine bass control and seems to have a global cross-over setting for all speakers. So, 80 Hz looks to be the best option for now. Klipsch consumer model speakers/subs simply cannot compete with these other brands mentioned.

No matter the sub chosen... you gotta do an old fashioned "sub crawl" to find the best position.

post #96 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Lol thats almost 600 more, i dont have a clue what im talking about but i doubt its 600 dollars better. I also live in a apt, and that svs has tons of power. your going to get me evicted lmao. Thanks ill do some research

If the RW-12d has enough bass output for you, just not the SQ you want, you don't need the HSU VTF-15H.

How big is your room in cubic feet?

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #97 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

If the RW-12d has enough bass output for you, just not the SQ you want, you don't need the HSU VTF-15H.

How big is your room in cubic feet?

Well the bass output is fine its just the tone, i mean i was watching thor on netflix and there are some really tight bass effects throughout the movie, and its makes the couch shake wothout boominess (in regards to excessiveness) but everything else sounds boomy. Espeacially most music. In black ops 2, if you throw a emp grenade and stand on its blast, that is some extreme bass response there, not much boom and all shake.

Im not at home to measure vertically but its the standard roof height. 22 feet long and i believe 15 feet wide with a open doorway about 4 feet wide into a large kitchen area in the northwest corner of the room. If you go back a few pages i posted detailed pics and measurements. Im on my phone at work so its not so easy to check atm.

Also i only have a few general areas i can put the sub, so options are limited.
post #98 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The Pioneer 1222 receiver doesn't seem to have fine bass control and seems to have a global cross-over setting for all speakers. So, 80 Hz looks to be the best option for now. Klipsch consumer model speakers/subs simply cannot compete with these other brands mentioned.

No matter the sub chosen... you gotta do an old fashioned "sub crawl" to find the best position.

MCACC usually only sets sub level in my experience, no bass eq at all. Has that changed with the later releases? Nice thing perhaps about a second sub is it can smooth out room response without further eq.

For sheer output and lower extension I'd agree generally about the Klipsch RW12d vs the ID subs at upper price points; it's not in the same league as my Epik for sure, but it cost 1/3 as much. In an apartment that's not likely an issue as it's usually not so easy to use all that output and extension without your neighbors coming to get you. smile.gif

I'm also curious if the Op has a sealed room and what it's dimensions are, and if open to others, how much more space to fill....

post #99 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is that your living room and dining room combined in size?

If so, something like the SVS PB12-NSD or HSU VTF-3 MK4 would have more than enough output for your space. Here's a review at Audioholics of the PB12-NSD:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd/pb12-nsd-listening-session

post #100 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is that your living room and dining room combined in size?

If so, something like the SVS PB12-NSD or HSU VTF-3 MK4 would have more than enough output for your space. Here's a review at Audioholics of the PB12-NSD:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/pb12-nsd/pb12-nsd-listening-session

Well technically they call it a dining/room living room combo but i use all 22 x 15 as living room. Isnt it about 8 feet high?
post #101 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its actually 22x14.5x7.5

So about 2400 cubic

Also i cannot find dynamic range control on my 1222k. I use a ps3 for bluray. Does that have an option for that?
post #102 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just thinking about later. Something like the VTF-15h can be "de-emphasised" with tweaking for apartment use, but would also be a wonderful sub for when you're not in an apartment situation. If you have the coins to do it, make sure you get the most for your money and don't buy twice (once for an apartment, another for a home).

Plus, you don't have a dedicated, closed-in space... the sound goes everywhere and the waves get spread out. Your total room "acreage" is increased.

post #103 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Axion , maybe show us how you room is setup. Have your tried the subcrawl?? I live in a small house, and I have limited space in my room so sub placement could not really be optimized. What has worked best in my case was adding a second sub. Not so much for more output but to optimize output. Bass has a real problem with standing waves and cancelation and 2 subs can really help with this. I use audyssey xt32 and run it with both subs connected. This is unconventional but it works well for me. Don't feel like you have to follow the herd, try different things and you will find what works for you. I have put some time into figuring out how the use REW to analyze my room but at this point I like what I hear,so my mind says why change it ,but then I think maybe it could be even better LOL. perhaps one day I will measure and see.

richard
post #104 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Axion , maybe show us how you room is setup. Have your tried the subcrawl?? I live in a small house, and I have limited space in my room so sub placement could not really be optimized. What has worked best in my case was adding a second sub. Not so much for more output but to optimize output. Bass has a real problem with standing waves and cancelation and 2 subs can really help with this. I use audyssey xt32 and run it with both subs connected. This is unconventional but it works well for me. Don't feel like you have to follow the herd, try different things and you will find what works for you. I have put some time into figuring out how the use REW to analyze my room but at this point I like what I hear,so my mind says why change it ,but then I think maybe it could be even better LOL. perhaps one day I will measure and see.

richard
I posted alot of pics and floor plan on the 1st page or maybe 2nd
post #105 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Whats better the vtf15h or vtf3-mk4? Both are priced about the same

Also i got newegg to rma it, and send me a shipping label, they didnt give me any trouble. I suspect because ive spent well over 10 grand on thier site within the past year, as i build pc's on the side.
post #106 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I posted alot of pics and floor plan on the 1st page or maybe 2nd

sorry my bad, just lazy lol I have no opinion on any one product but my suggestion for placement is one in the right front corner and the second sub on the left side of the room just near the love seat.
post #107 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I only have 1 sub, i do have that older mcs 160 combo sub but thats being sold. And that sub is crap it can barely get below 50-40hz
post #108 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Whats better the vtf15h or vtf3-mk4? Both are priced about the same

One of those is $1022 shipped, the other is $769???

The VTF-15H is a 15" sub. It has more max output. The 12" VTF-3 MK4 is more than sufficient for your space if you are happy with the volume the RW-12d can reach.

post #109 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Well the bass output is fine its just the tone, i mean i was watching thor on netflix and there are some really tight bass effects throughout the movie, and its makes the couch shake wothout boominess (in regards to excessiveness) but everything else sounds boomy. Espeacially most music. In black ops 2, if you throw a emp grenade and stand on its blast, that is some extreme bass response there, not much boom and all shake...

... Also i only have a few general areas i can put the sub, so options are limited.

I had the same "everything else sounds boomy" issues with some cheaper subs until I got the SVS SB12-NSD. It has a very clean and accurate sound, so now no more blurry thumps, it's easy to distinguish between a deep sound effect and low string/music lines in the sound track, etc. In short I love it. I also auditioned the PB12-NSD and it had the same great qualities. I ended up keeping the SB12 solely because it was physically smaller and fit my space better (14.6 x 14.2 x 14.2).

I haven't heard the HSU subs mentioned in the thread, but the HSU subs are universally well regarded/reviewed so I would guess they have the same qualities ; )
post #110 of 314 Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

You could do a VTF-3 MK4 and then get another one later to smooth out the bass reproduction. It won't dig as deep without breaking much of a sweat like the VTF-15h, but in the end it comes down to whether music reproduction is more important to you or more movie theater like output... or if spending the money on the VTF-15h would be pushing your "man toy" budget over the edge. Don't know what your financial situation is, so it's hard to make a determination on my end on that point. smile.gif

If I had money to play with I'd end up with two of the 15 inchers.

post #111 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Your saying the mk4 has more accurate bass then the 15h? I can afford around 1000 its not very strict
post #112 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You could do a VTF-3 MK4 and then get another one later to smooth out the bass reproduction. It won't dig as deep without breaking much of a sweat like the VTF-15h

That may not be accurate. Audioholics review measurements indicates that the VTF-15H appears to be tuned to roll off starting at 30hz. Could be the VTF-3 MK4 performs as well in the low 20hz range and below if it's tuned better.

Quote:

Your saying the mk4 has more accurate bass then the 15h? I can afford around 1000 its not very strict

If you mean by more accurate, a flatter response down to 20hz? Maybe not. There's no data to support that idea either way.

post #113 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try these VTF-15h reviews on for size.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/hsu-vtf-15h-subwoofer

http://www.hsuresearch.com/reviews/SoundVisionVTF-15HTestReport.pdf

Do check out Rythmik subs as well.

This one looks like it's in your price range and has a 600 watt min. amp for more horsepower (the black oak.... don't usually like gloss finishes myself to cut down on light reflections and dust) and a little less "big." Investigate the reviews and user comments.

http://rythmikaudio.com/E15.html

Measured at -3dB at 14 Hz!! Not too shabby.

post #114 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is that rythmic much better then the HSU's?
post #115 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is that rythmic much better then the HSU's?

There's no simple answer to that because it's kind of like asking which is better, apples or oranges?

There are four major factors to consider in subwoofer choice: max SPL (sound pressure level--volume) output, flatness of the frequency response, low end extension of the frequency response (how deep does it go), and overall SQ of the drivers (which is affected by the flatness of the frequency response, too). Which are more important to you depends on your personal listening preferences and the size of your room and other room acoustic factors that might affect the performance. And then of course aesthetics of the finish and look of the sub is a factor for some people as well.

Rythmik sealed subs have a reputation for being one of the very best sounding subs for the money. But the HSU ported subs for the same price will have more max SPL. Both are excellent price performance values, but different.

post #116 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is that rythmik much better then the HSU's?

The Rythmik E15 is tighter and more musical... and the form factor is more pleasing (the latter is IMHO). It may not slam quite as hard being sealed, but the driver control will be greater (if music is important to you). For a few bucks more, you can upgrade the amp to include XLR in/out jacks.... great for linking multiple subs together... and if you ever have a sub EQ that uses balanced XLR jacks.

post #117 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wouldnt the hsu 15h be just as tight and musical when you seal the ports? Also with the optional ports wouldnt this sub be more versatile?
post #118 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:

Measured at -3dB at 14 Hz!! Not too shabby.

That measurements isn't quite saying what you think. You won't get any serious 14 hz output from that sub. It will probably roll off in the high 20s at typically volume levels.
post #119 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Also what is the difference between the ascend acoustics e15 and the rythmik e15, i can get the ascend acoustics one for 5% less due to the fact i bought a bunch of speakers from them recently.
post #120 of 314 Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:

Wouldnt the hsu 15h be just as tight and musical when you seal the ports? Also with the optional ports wouldnt this sub be more versatile?

If you seal the ports on the VTF15h, you will get rid of the group delay that accompanies ports. However, you would lose a ton of low frequency output. In my opinion, it isn't a worthwhile trade. Even when running ported, the Hsu will likely have very good control over the group delay anyway, this isn't going to be a sloppy sub. However, if you are in an apartment or duplex, a sealed option might be a good feature because deeper bass has an easier time traveling through walls. I don't think even sealed it would quite have the definition of the Rythmik though. In my own comparison, I didn't find the Rythmik to be more musical than the Hsu, Outlaw, or Elemental Designs brands, in fact I could not tell the difference in any music recording. What I found, counter intuitively, is it brought more definition to the kind of bass movies use in natural effects. They are more complex bass sounds and the Rythmik caught them better. It wasn't a huge difference though, but it was there.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page