help deciding on new speakers for 7.1 system - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Haha thats a bit costly. I think my speaker placement and everything else is as good as its going to get anyway. I received my replacement speakers today, everything is set up, just waiting on the rythmik. I cant test 7.1 with the klipsch because thats packed and ready to go back. I ordered a spool of 12 gauge 100 foot to replace the couple of runs i screwed up and ended up splicing. Will update with final results. Thanks to all that helped, which was alot of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow my sub is getting delivered tomorrow, it shipped at 5 today. Never happier to eat my words. Hopefully its here before 2 as i have work and its signature required.
post #183 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxion View Post

Wow my sub is getting delivered tomorrow, it shipped at 5 today. Never happier to eat my words. Hopefully its here before 2 as i have work and its signature required.

Congratulations! Should be a good weekend for ya!

post #184 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Congratulations! Should be a good weekend for ya!

Yep. And be sure to have some bribes ready for your neighbors as you test out your speakers and sub. Try the scene in The Incredible Hulk where he first battles the army after running through the library. Your neighbors will LOVE it biggrin.gif

post #185 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
You have renter's insurance, don't you? wink.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #186 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol ive already bought terminator salvation and the whole lord of the rings trilogy on bluray, 2008 hulk was my next movie on the list, then starwars 1-3 on bluray and maybe master and commander. Most of these are 5-10 dollars and amazon used. I got terminator for 1.60 plus 2.99 for shipping!
post #187 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Double check Master and Commander. Ask in that bass movie list I linked to previously in your thread. When they mastered it for bluray, they apparently castrated the low bass and the DTS version on the DVD was actually better when the bluray first came out. Perhaps the bluray has been updated, but best to ask the guys on that thread.

MC did sound AMAZING on DVD when I watched it. When the scenes take place below decks, you can hear the people walking over head, and in my setup, it sounded exactly like someone was walking on a deck.

post #188 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lol ive already bought terminator salvation and the whole lord of the rings trilogy on bluray, 2008 hulk was my next movie on the list, then starwars 1-3 on bluray and maybe master and commander. Most of these are 5-10 dollars and amazon used. I got terminator for 1.60 plus 2.99 for shipping!

To each his own, but I wouldn't watch Salvation again even if you paid me (same goes for the SW prequels). smile.gif The Terminator has a new transfer (has gobs more detail than the original Blu) and it's fairly cheap and the T2 remaster won't be far behind (the only two in that series I care about). Avatar was another film where the bass was quite disappointing (speaking of MaC).

On the star rated bass list, I'd recommend getting as a start: How To Train Your Dragon, Hot Fuzz, Finding Nemo, and The Incredibles. Fun movies too. IMHO.

post #189 of 314 Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

To each his own, but I wouldn't watch Salvation again even if you paid me (same goes for the SW prequels). .
Yeah, I hated salvation, just hated it. It was so bad. I thought T3 was pretty unnecessary, but it wasn't aggressively as stupid as Salvation, it was simply unneeded. Salvation did to Skynet what the star wars prequels did to darth vador, just ruined a great villain.
post #190 of 314 Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol i know its a terrible movie, im just looking to test the sound system. Def will check out hot fuzz though thats an awesome movie
post #191 of 314 Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got home at 9pm tonight, set it all up. Cant play anything near appropriate volumes atm but man is the bass cleaned up, powerfull, very fast responsive bass. Will really test this beast out tomorrow. Finish in matte black is awesome. Sexiest thing in my living room. Unloaded it myself and it put up quite a fight, never had a workout from my gear till now. Only complaint is one of the screw in feet came stripped. Dont have a tap and die handy.
post #192 of 314 Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was looking at the manual it came with and its all pretty confusing. Its saying line level in is recommended instead of the lfe input im using. Am i able to do that using my sc-1222k?
post #193 of 314 Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Probably best to ask questions about the finer points of configuring that sub in the Rythmik owners thread on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1214550/official-rythmik-audio-subwoofer-thread

Meanwhile, I'm sure the LFE input would work just fine for testing it out. smile.gif

post #194 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I couldnt get a response, guess im too noobish.
post #195 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Strange, because the LFE input on most subs will bypass internal crossover settings and lets the surround processor do its thing (all you have to do is set the phase, normally 0 degrees, and volume knob one time).

post #196 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sometimes you have to give a more detailed explanation with more context to get people to respond smile.gif

post #197 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Im sure lfe will be fine anyway. I just need a chance to test it out already its either too late or too early. Bass is almost too clean though im wondering if i should have gone with the fv15hp, i have been messing with the damping settings and it seems to make it closer to the girth i was used to with the klipsch. (Aka boominess lol) but tightness has exceeded all expectations.
post #198 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't want your new sub to sound bloated and boomy. LOL! You'd be going backwards. Sometimes you can mistake boomy for "better" just like higher volume must automatically mean the sound is higher quality. biggrin.gif

I have a Blu-ray that's a showcase sampler from the PBS show Legends of Jazz (probably can find some store online that still has a copy, like CD Universe) that can test and highlight just how good or bad your sound system happens to be. Not huge bass, mind you, but excellent audiophile grade live recording quality at 24 bit, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD lossless. On my Paradigm Studio's, it's like you're right on stage with some of the great performers in the jazz and R&B world. Sadly, a couple have now passed away.

Another couple excellent audiophile level live performance Blu-ray's are Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds: Live at Radio City Music Hall, and the two Chris Botti titles. No, the latter discs are not all jazz trumpet, but a variety of music genres by a host of top name guest performers. Truly excellent musical performances too.

You need some titles that are superbly crafted and not fix-it-in-the-mix, dynamically dead pop recordings or synthetic movie soundtracks.

post #199 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, i dont know how it is with home theater speakers, but with guitar amp speakers, you do need a decent amount of volume to get them to the way thier supposed to. (Although part of this has to do with getting your power tubes to get saturated and add thier own color)

Im not reallly into that style of music, whats a really good movie or something i can try to excersize my system? Although just getting one of those to hear how clear and realistic sounding it can be is tempting too. Im really impressed with how these speakers sound, very nuetral, and extremely clear.
post #200 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, i dont know how it is with home theater speakers, but with guitar amp speakers, you do need a decent amount of volume to get them to the way thier supposed to. (Although part of this has to do with getting your power tubes to get saturated and add thier own color)

Im not reallly into that style of music, whats a really good movie or something i can try to exercise my system? Although just getting one of those to hear how clear and realistic sounding it can be is tempting too. Im really impressed with how these speakers sound, very nuetral, and extremely clear.

My dad, from an earlier era, declares that he hates jazz and blues and blues/rock, but when I popped the Legends of Jazz Blu-ray into my player... he had a big ol' smile on his face and was tapping his toe along with the songs. Part of it was the extremely high talent on display and rich musicality. You couldn't help, but enjoy it. These cats can really wail and could show a few things to the really young bucks popping up on the scene. Some of the masters were in their 70's and 80's and their fingers were flying on the piano, saxes, and electric guitars!

Though it's electronic based music, the soundtracks on the Ron Fricke large format films Chronos, Baraka, and Samsara, are top notch. The bass is tight and deep and Michael Stearns' compositions give any audio system a challenging workout, throughout all the speakers. The recordings are well engineered. They're very powerful pieces too and compliment Ron Fricke's cinematography perfectly. Like I stated earlier, Samsara also has a very high quality video transfer. Baraka ain't too shabby either.

These are not overstatements.

It's good to expand your horizons every once in a while. smile.gif

post #201 of 314 Old 04-12-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Im not reallly into that style of music, whats a really good movie or something i can try to excersize my system? Although just getting one of those to hear how clear and realistic sounding it can be is tempting too. Im really impressed with how these speakers sound, very nuetral, and extremely clear.

One of the better sub workouts is Hot Fuzz. The pod scenes from War of the Worlds plus a few others (before I got a good sub hated this movie, now it's tolerable). Recently picked up the BluRay (just audio) of Steven Wilson's Raven that Refused to Sing, like that a lot for sonic goodness. Some other Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree stuff I picked up also good multi channel music treats as well as some Steven Wilson remixes of ELP. What style of music do you like?

post #202 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I ordered hot fuzz on bdr, WotW on dvd, and incredible hulk on bdr. Terminator salvation should be in my mail box. Gonna watch fellowship tonight, good thing i dont have to worry about the rumble filter setting being turned on as my sub is sealed. People seem to rave about the balrog scene
post #203 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ordered hot fuzz on bdr, WotW on dvd, and incredible hulk on bdr. Terminator salvation should be in my mail box. Gonna watch fellowship tonight, good thing i dont have to worry about the rumble filter setting being turned on as my sub is sealed. People seem to rave about the balrog scene

Change your order... the War of the Worlds Blu-ray ($12 on Amazon) has the same bass effects as the DVD, but slightly more defined. It's also in 24 bit DTS lossless (helps with the rest of the track too) and, of course, 1080p. I've heard it both ways. The DVD video is downright ugly.

There are very few Blu-ray's where the older DVD versions of the same titles have better bass. The safer bet is getting the Blu-ray and the added bonus of HD video as well.

post #204 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dang already shipped. It was only .25c plus shipping lol
post #205 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dang already shipped. It was only .25c plus shipping lol

So, what you're saying is that you could still afford the Blu-ray version. wink.gif

post #206 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ya but i think ill put that towards better movies. I hear wotw is pretty terrible
post #207 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ya but i think ill put that towards better movies. I hear wotw is pretty terrible

It's a mixed bag for sure story wise (though, the initial pod attack is pretty suspenseful, intense and expertly choreographed and well executed... too bad the rest of the movie couldn't have followed suit).

You have to go into the audio menu and manually select the DTS 5.1 lossy audio track on the DVD.

post #208 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Could be useful to get a Netflix subscription if you'll be watching a lot of blurays with your new system.

post #209 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Already got netflix. Tried out that new redbox instant, its crap.
post #210 of 314 Old 04-13-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Get the bluray delivery. That's what I do smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page