New to Audio, need speaker recommendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. I will build my first home theater in Q2.
And here is my budget:
3K USD for projector and screen.
1.5K USD for 5.1 speakers and receiver and cables.

And as i will use a projector, i have to put the speaker below the screen in my small living room, which means the height of the speaker should be less than 9"(the speakers will be put on the shelf).

Is there any recommendations for the speaker?

BTW, i'm at China while i can ship speakers and projectors from US. For receiver and sub i have to buy at China as the voltage is different.

Should i try a soundbar like Yamaha YSP-5100?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry1985 View Post

1.5K USD for 5.1 speakers and receiver and cables.

And as i will use a projector, i have to put the speaker below the screen in my small living room, which means the height of the speaker should be less than 9"(the speakers will be put on the shelf).

Is there any recommendations for the speaker?

With your requirements, normally I would recommend the Cambridge Audio S30 because it has amazing bass output for its size and excellent sound quality for its price:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS30

However, despite what this webpage says, it seems to be out of stock everywhere, and the only place I know of that is expecting shipments to arrive from the manufacturer anytime soon does not sell internationally. You may want to check with the retailer linked above to see when or whether it will be in stock again.

There is a smaller related speaker available, the S20:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS20

You'll also want to confirm whether it is in stock, but there is a good chance that it is.

If you end up ordering the S20, then here is the center that goes with it (again, confirm with the retailer that it is in stock):
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAS50

If you are lucky and can get the S30 or would be willing to wait for it to become available--which I strongly recommend--then you should buy a second pair and use one of the speakers for your center, standing it upright like your left & right front speakers, instead of using an S50. This is because the S30 may well be a superior speaker to the S50, and the S50 costs almost as much as a pair of S30s anyway. In addition, center speakers (almost all speakers, really) work best when they are standing upright. For the surrounds, you could buy either a third pair of S30s or a pair of smaller S20s if that would be more convenient for you. Because the S30 has a rear port, be sure to give it a couple of inches of space from the wall (it is more than 9" deep, so keep that in mind).
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry1985 View Post

Should i try a soundbar like Yamaha YSP-5100?

This is certainly an interesting piece of speaker technology. It looks like--and probably is--a "phased array" of small drivers that are able to work together to focus and direct sound in specific directions from a flat panel, very much like the flat, non-moving radars that you see mounted on the most modern military warships and fighter aircraft. But as interesting and advanced as it is, it cannot complete with a real 5.1 system with actual speakers surrounding you--it's like comparing a radar with having a camera and GPS mounted right on the enemy target. wink.gif

The soundbar idea does bring to mind another option, in case you are not able to get the S30. There is also the Ascend Acoustics HTM-200 SE:
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

This speaker is expressly designed to work well when it is lying on its side (wider horizontally), in which case it is only 6.5" tall--three of them across the front is sort of like a soundbar, except that you can space them more widely. They would also give you much better sound quality than any soundbar in the same price range. If you decide to go with this speaker, then send an email to sales@ascendacoustics.com. Tell them your situation and ask for three horizontally-oriented HTM-200 SEs (the center version) and an additional regular pair for the surrounds (the surrounds should be oriented vertically like normal, as they work best this way as surrounds).
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page