post #31 of 40 Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Speaking as one person's opinion only and one who has experienced a few Klipsch product ranges... I'd only get their THX certified monitors and on up (if you're a newbie... that can get spendy). The lower stuff that you normally find online and in a Best Buy is not what I'd call neutral or warm in the slightest. Grating and fatiguing would be my two best adjectives.

What kind of budget are you thinking about? Would you be willing to get a bit at a time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon2x View Post

Y
Quote:

Speaking as one person's opinion only and one who has experienced a few Klipsch product ranges... I'd only get their THX certified monitors and on up (if you're a newbie... that can get spendy). The lower stuff that you normally find online and in a Best Buy is not what I'd call neutral or warm in the slightest. Grating and fatiguing would be my two best adjectives.

What kind of budget are you thinking about? Would you be willing to get a bit at a time?

Yeah thats my plan to get a bit at a time. Any suggestions which is the best for the price range 500-1000?
post #33 of 40 Old 04-04-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:

Yeah that's my plan to get a bit at a time. Any suggestions which is the best for the price range 500-1000?

For how many speakers? You might be able to get a good left/right/center package. If you're willing to start with left and right's only, even better quality awaits you.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #34 of 40 Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Thanks for explaining smile.gif

Yeah. Could be the whole electronic signal path--DAC, preamp, and amplification--is better. That doesn't mean that the Denon 3313 wouldn't be comparable. But for the money, sounds like you got the killer deal biggrin.gif

The one thing that MCAAC doesn't do is EQ the sub the way that Audyssey does. But you could always watch for a used Antimode if you want that.

Yes, for all I know, the Denon 3313 and the Marantz 5007 may have had similar effects. I have not had the chance to hear either of those because I bit on the 1522k.

I also have a MiniDSP Umik-1 (which is calibrated for 20hz-20khz), everything needed to run and use REW, as well as the Disney: WOW disc. I have not had a chance to start messing around with them yet, but that is my next "project". I am hoping between REW and the WOW disc I can make my own EQ adjustments to the sub (and the rest of the setup for that matter).

But like I said, other than preouts (which the denon 3313 and Marantz 5007 also had) the other reason I liked the 1522k was the ability to make my own adjustments (since I knew I was going to be messing around with REW and the Disney: WOW disc). While Audyssey in the 3313 and 5007 will auto eq the sub, the Advanced MCAAC of the 1522k gives you a plethora of options to adjust it yourself. The 3313 and 5007 do not give you that level of control.

I am an "ever tinkerer" and knew I wanted those extra options to manually adjust things. If someone is not that way, then I would likely agree that the 3313 or the 5007 would likely be better fits for that person (perhaps also the Onkyo 818 too).

(I might consider an auto subEQ option like you linked as well. I do not know yet.)
post #35 of 40 Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah thats my plan to get a bit at a time. Any suggestions which is the best for the price range 500-1000?

I do not have much experience with many different speakers. However, I like my Ascends and Arx speakers.

Arx Ab1 cost $300 a pair. You can get an single one for $169. That would be $769 for 5, and would be pretty nice, but you still do not have a sub.

Ascend CBM-170se are $350 a pair ($306 for b-stock). Ascend HTM-200se are $298 a pair ($262 for b-stock), and a single center is $158. I imagine you could get a single 170se if you emailed them too. That is another nice option. But again, you would be coming close to your $1000 cap without a sub.

I have heard nice things about the Cambridge s30 speakers. They are $219 a pair. In fact, I was going buy them myself, but they were all back ordered at the time (but should be available now). This option would give you more money for the sub.

The Pioneer Andrew Jones speakers are also well regarded. I believe you can get the 2 floorstanders, 2 bookshelves, and center for around $450. This would be the cheapest option and allow you to spend the most on a sub. FWIW the Rythmik LV12R was on sale for $550 shipped (the price may have gone up now). If it is still that price, that would be exactly your cap.

KEF and NHT are some other brands you should look into.
post #36 of 40 Old 04-04-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

For how many speakers? You might be able to get a good left/right/center package. If you're willing to start with left and right's only, even better quality awaits you.

I will start for the L/R and center for now, and if there's a good deal then soon for 7.1. For that i want to make sure i got the better one for good start. Thank you for your help.
post #37 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

This thread got off track a bit, not that I mind. wink.gif The sub came in the other day. Not problems with shipping damage. The speakers should be here later this week. I got tired of waiting for the SC-1522-K to come in stock at Costco, so I ordered the SC-1222-K from Newegg for ~$500. It looks pretty similar to the SC-1522, so it should work out fine. Plus, it is $100 cheaper! I will post pictures later.
post #38 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM

You're gonna love it! IF I remember right you went with the Ascend 340's LCR and HTM-200's in surround?
I seriously considered that Pioneer 1222K but went with the Yammy 673 because I have owned Yamaha before. It seems like a nice piece of kit.
post #39 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will start for the L/R and center for now, and if there's a good deal then soon for 7.1. For that i want to make sure i got the better one for good start. Thank you for your help.

I'll send you a PM, so as not to further derail the thread.

post #40 of 40 Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikecake2 View Post

This thread got off track a bit, not that I mind. wink.gif The sub came in the other day. Not problems with shipping damage. The speakers should be here later this week. I got tired of waiting for the SC-1522-K to come in stock at Costco, so I ordered the SC-1222-K from Newegg for ~$500. It looks pretty similar to the SC-1522, so it should work out fine. Plus, it is $100 cheaper! I will post pictures later.

The two things that may or may not bother you with the 1222 are: the bass crossover setting seems to be global for all speakers (if you choose 80 Hz... all the speakers will be 80 Hz even if some, like the fronts, could stand to go lower), there aren't a lot of crossover choices in the speaker setup, and if you upgrade to front wides or front height effects speakers you cannot decode the back channels on a 7.1 mix and extract wides or heights at the same time. No DTS Neo:X either.

Just FYI. Other than that, it still looks like a good receiver for the money. Hope you enjoy it. smile.gif

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page