Headphones - make the move? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello everyone,

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a pair of decent headphones. Watching movies at night with my wife and children sleeping can be a hassle. Often I turn the swtich to the 'night time mode' option on the Denon which I believe reduces the dynamics. Other times I up the center channel and reduce the over all volume and constently have to be on alert for the big explosion with the volume button. I've got a little bit invested in my 7.1 system and won't abandon it completly but am thinking it might be nice to just put on the headphones and crank up the volume. Same goes for listening to music as well since my musical tastes aren't for everyone.

Anyway heres the details. I'm not sure if my system is showing up in my sig. line yet so here's part of it:

Oppo BDP-83
Denon 2907

I'd use headphone for probably 75% movies and 25% music. However I'd consider the music listening a more critical listening experience than the movies.

I'm looking at a sub $400 budget, don't need noise cancelation, and am considering:

Hifi 400
Sennheiser HD600
Grado 325is
and for kicks the Sennheier RS180

If I went with a wired set I would pick headphone amp in the sub $400 range in a few months (after funds are replentished). I understand you can really open up these headphones with a dedicated amp.

1) Any experiences with the above headphones or perhaps other sets I should be considering?

2) I kind of like the idea of going wireless. Would it it be possible to use a dedicated amp with the wireless phones to increase it's performance?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have had a pair of the HD600s for about a decade now, paired with a Headroom Max amp and they sound amazing. Great bass extension on movies as well as music - sometimes I have to take them off while listening to make sure I muted the speakers & subs. biggrin.gif

Don't get me wrong, you're not gonna get bass like a sub at reference level or anything, but it's still pretty astounding what they can accomplish.

If you do get the HD600s, you will probably need a dedicated amp. They have very low sensitivity and most headphone amps built in to today's components just don't have the power to drive the higher-end Sennhiesers.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have Shure SRH940s. never used them for movies. Only games with a fiio headphone amp. theyre pretty sweeet. not super deep bass but great highs and mids.

Onkyo TXSR607, Mythos 8 Center, Studio Monitor 350's, Klipsch S-10 surrounds, Bic F12 sub

Epson Home Cinema 8100 Projector
post #4 of 8 Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the PSB M4U 2's...I tried a bunch of different headphones, including a few of those that you mentioned above. These were the best in this price range, especially considering they have their own amplifier. Yes, they have noise cancellation, too, but you do not have to activate it (I never do). They are closed back, fit my big ears, and sound very, very good.

Headphones like the HD600 are open-back headphones, meaning they won't be isolating the noise at all, and people around you will easily hear what you're listening, too. The benefit is a bigger soundstage, but we're still not talking what you'll get with even the basic of speakers. The sound will live in your head...no way around it.

I'm not 100% if they would work, but Astro makes a wireless gaming headset called the A50. It has built in digital surround processing, and it does work well when I used to watch movies on my XBox 360. I'm not sure if you can simply hook these up to your oppo or not (they just have an optical input to the mix-amp, so I don't see why it wouldn't work). These will do the job for movies, but they're nothing impressive for music, in my opinion.

For just overall sound quality, a nice pair of IEM's with rubber cups that seal off your ear canal would be pretty good, too. Etymotic, sennheiser...even sony...make some good stuff. I had a pair of $100 sennheiser earbuds that sealed off my ears beautifully...they had some of the best sound of any headphone.

Personally, if it's for movies mostly, I'd give the A50's a try...but then I already own them, lol. The M4U 2's also get my vote, but the issue is still getting a cable long enough to go from your receiver to your headphones.

post #5 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I ended up with a Beyerdyanmic DT880 headphone and Little Dot MK III amplifier combo.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Nice! I have a Little Dot I+ headphone amp, and I really like it. Good equipment smile.gif

post #7 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I plan on using a pair of Signal Cable Analog 2 cables to hook up the amp directly from my Oppo-83.

I wonder if you can use the line out's on LittleDot amp and use it as a preamp on a Denon AVR 2807 for two channel listening?

post #8 of 8 Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 635
The Little Dot I+ doesn't have line outs.

I don't know if the line out on the Little Dot MK III is just a pass through or not, but the Denon 2807 has a preamp Should be no problem.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page