New home theater in basement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In getting the basement finished, open floor plan, with Epson 5020UB projector and 7.2 audio setup. The home theater area is 15 x 15 feet but the room is open toe rest of the basement. The receiver is likely to be pioneer elite (53, 61 or 63) or Marantz SR 5007. The speakers is a biggest issues. the choices I have are:

1)Energy CB20 fronts, CC10 center channel, and CR10 rear and surround
2) Defnitive Technology, Studio monitor 55 fronts, Pro 1000 center channel, and promonitor 800 for surround and rear
3) Klipsch RB61 for fronts, RC52II center channel, and RS41 as suround / rear

Subwoofers 10" x 2.
I wonder if I can get any advice on which one of these to choose from. I have heard the Energy and Def tech at Best buy but not the klipsch as they don' t have them in stock.
wonder what you all think is a good setup
many thanks for the advice
RB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 156
What is your budget? Seems like you are proposing to buy a pretty nice reciever and a level lower speaker! While the speaker you have listed are all nice speakers, a 800 dollar Receiver will be limited by those speakers. In other words, spend less on the Rec and more on the speakers. Maybe look at the ascend acoustic cmt340 speakers.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #3 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Personally I'd go for option 2. I own a pair of the Studio monitor 45's and I absolutely love em! I'm running them in a 2 ch. audio setup. By the way, you should consider a Denon AVR, the AVR-1913 is an excellent AVR and will be more than powerful enough to power all those options listed.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

What is your budget? Seems like you are proposing to buy a pretty nice reciever and a level lower speaker! While the speaker you have listed are all nice speakers, a 800 dollar Receiver will be limited by those speakers. In other words, spend less on the Rec and more on the speakers. Maybe look at the ascend acoustic cmt340 speakers.

Agreed.

Putting a little more money toward the speakers and a little less toward the receiver would likely result in a better sounding system. I can also recommend the Ascend Acoustics speakers. I have the CBM-170 SE, and would recommend them over the both the Energy RC-10 and Energy Veritas V5.1 bookshelves, which are higher model bookshelf speakers in the Energy speaker lines from the CB-20.

Also, you mention dual 10" subs? You probably need to go bigger. Subs see the whole open space, not just your HT area. I would encourage you to look into the Klipsch RW-12d subwoofer. Newegg often has these on sale for $299, and they are an incredible value in a 12" sub for that price. See this AVS discussion thread for the RW-12d and ask questions there: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442829/klipsch-rw-12d-on-sale-for-299-at-newegg-com-again-today

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all who replied. Yesterday, happen to be at Bestbuy and they had the Pioneer Elite VSX63 as open item (the sales associate told me this is a brand new unused piece, they had just put out on the table and thrown away the box). I manged to get it for 600$ including tax. I felt that was a steal. I also bought the EPSON 5020UB projector he price matched it for online best price of 2500$. so 2 things are done. The speakers remain. If my budget allows, How do the Bowers and Wilkins 685 compare to the other you all have mentioned.
I compared them to the CB20 and the def tech SM55 and SM45s at the magnolia home theater at BB yesterday. the B&W was far better than both. the price tag of BW685 is 650 a pair and the center channel is $425. that will be 1150 with tax. I maybe willing to spend a little more. what do the experts think
thanks

The basement is getting painted next week, then the floor, and the other stuff starts. will be done in 2 weeks, I will post some pictures.
thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSHU View Post

Thanks to all who replied. Yesterday, happen to be at Bestbuy and they had the Pioneer Elite VSX63 as open item (the sales associate told me this is a brand new unused piece, they had just put out on the table and thrown away the box). I manged to get it for 600$ including tax. I felt that was a steal. I also bought the EPSON 5020UB projector he price matched it for online best price of 2500$. so 2 things are done. The speakers remain. If my budget allows, How do the Bowers and Wilkins 685 compare to the other you all have mentioned.
I compared them to the CB20 and the def tech SM55 and SM45s at the magnolia home theater at BB yesterday. the B&W was far better than both. the price tag of BW685 is 650 a pair and the center channel is $425. that will be 1150 with tax. I maybe willing to spend a little more. what do the experts think
thanks

The basement is getting painted next week, then the floor, and the other stuff starts. will be done in 2 weeks, I will post some pictures.
thanks
Check out the Pioneer line of speakers at Best Buy. These second generation Pioneers, designed by Andrew Jones, have received universal praise for their low price and their ability to compete with speakers costing much more.

I bought a pair of the Pioneer towers (SP-FS52) just to see what the hype was about and, in my opinion, it is not hype. They exceeded my expectations. The better the equipment I used, the better they sounded.

I highly recommend checking out the entire Pioneer line before making a final decision.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page