Replacing old surrounds before re-paint. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My tv room is small the viewing area is roughly 10 X 12 with the viewing the short way. A zero clearance reclining couch is against the back wall. The surrounds that are there now date back to when only Dolby pro-logic was available. They are a pair of rat shack
Optimus pro LX-5's hanging off brackets. I'm looking to replace them with something wall mounted or in-wall. I'm getting ready to re-paint the room and would like to deal with these before I do it. I'm hoping for somthing that will sound better and not upset the wife with huge "speaker thingies" to look at. Is there such a thing as decent in-walls or small-ish wall mounts that sound good? Thanks,
Chip

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
In wall... Try Monoprice --

Small speakers there are lots to choice from... Cambridge, PSB, Energy, Ascend or even Klipsch

That being said I would point you to the Ascend since I own them and can say they have excellent sound... 11" x 6.5" x 6.375" Ascend HTM-200.

Monoprice also have some very well reviewed small speakers (some say they are rebranded ML speakers) Monoprice 5.1-Channel Home Theater Satellite Speakers & Subwoofer - Black
post #3 of 3 Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
In a word; NO!

I suggest that you get a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers for $349 from Music Direct. These are VERY good-sounding speakers.

The improvement in sound quality compared to what you have now will be so huge that you and your wife will both be delighted.

They are not all that big. Buy them and present her with a fait accompli and when she hears them the deal will be sealed.

You can mount small dedicated shelves to put them on which are better visually than brackets and become invisible once the speaker is on them. The mount brackets can go up behind the speakers so they are invisible too.

Tiny wall mount speakers and inferior in-wall speakers are mostly crap, and you should just get decent speakers and explain to your wife that those are the facts of life.

The few in-wall speakers that actually sound fairly decent are big-bucks items. Cheap in-wall speakers sound like crap, and ARE crap.

If that price is too high for you, the Polk TSi100 speakers are $180/pair at Amazon, and would be a decent second choice.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page