Question about buying used speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What should i be concerned about when purchasing used speakers online? I am looking at a pair of HSU hb-1 mk2. The seller has numerous pictures and they look to be in "like new" condition as he states and they are only 6 months old. Therefore, plenty of remaining warranty.

But is there anything else i should be asking and/or seeing in the photos that could tell me that these speakers are damaged or not up to like new standards?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
The unit arriving not as advertised leaves you the same remedies as the unit not arriving at all.

You could verify the warranty with HSU if you like. The only other thing to do is listen to it.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Nick:
Whenever possible, I talk to the seller on the phone and ask a bunch of questions about the item. Although I may be fooling myself, I think I can tell if someone is trying to sell me junk or not. My experiences have been very good with sellers who are interested in music and hifi. Good luck.
Mike

mnilan
post #4 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Does the seller have any sort of feedback? Will the seller accept Paypal?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
They were on craigslist, so no feedback ala eBay. I will only send payment via Paypal so that i have some sort of fallback for online payments.

Also, good idea. Before we close the deal i will ask for a phone number to talk to him and hash out some details about sending them via UPS or FedEx.

My thinking is that if anyone that actually knows and is willing to pay for these quality Hsu bookshelves, they might not be involved in a scam. I mean I have seen those cheap-o HTIB that they are trying to scam people and these bookshelves really doesn't fall into the cheap category to the average consumer.

I called HSU and he said with the serial number i could call him back and verify the time at which the speakers were manufactured, which would prove the sellers timing for me.

Thanks guys,
post #6 of 7 Old 03-28-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg2027 View Post

They were on craigslist, so no feedback ala eBay. I will only send payment via Paypal so that i have some sort of fallback for online payments.

Also, good idea. Before we close the deal i will ask for a phone number to talk to him and hash out some details about sending them via UPS or FedEx.

My thinking is that if anyone that actually knows and is willing to pay for these quality Hsu bookshelves, they might not be involved in a scam. I mean I have seen those cheap-o HTIB that they are trying to scam people and these bookshelves really doesn't fall into the cheap category to the average consumer.

I called HSU and he said with the serial number i could call him back and verify the time at which the speakers were manufactured, which would prove the sellers timing for me.

Thanks guys,
Even though the person is selling them on craigslist doesn't mean the person doesn't have feedback on another Buy/Sell forum such as Audiogon. Did you have an opportunity to ask the seller if s/he has feedback somewhere else? If you have the person's actual email address, do a search on google to see if you get any matches. Heatware is also one place to search.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg2027 View Post

Thanks guys,

Items should be double boxed and insured!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page